GoPro to YouTube Quality

realslow
Edited Date/Time 6/5/2015 12:57am
I am having problems with the quality of my GoPro videos, edited or not, when uploaded to youtube. I formerly used a Contour HD filmed in 720p@60fps, edited in iMovie, and had no issues. Ever since I started using a GoPro Hero 3+ Black the video has moments where the quality just drops as soon as it gets uploaded to youtube (it looks fine on my mac). I thought it might have been from the editied process in iMovie but I posted the raw video (below)from last weekend and i does the same thing.

As soon as their is excess motion off the start it seems to go to hell. On the edited version I have tried several different file types, bit rates, and about anything else I could think of which is why I then just tried to upload the raw video. Could is be a hardware issue on my Mac (although, like I said, it looks fine to watch on my mac), an internet upload speed issue, something else? Not sure what else to try at this point. Any ideas?
|
SoftSand
6/4/2015 6:14am
I can't see the video but are you sure the quality issue isn't just in playback ?

YouTube will downsample depending on your connection etc. Are you manually selecting the best quality ?
realslow
6/4/2015 6:39am
I deleted that particular video. Any recent one on my channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/realslow) will do the same thing. I see others have the same issue and have a feeling I just don't have the software/hardware to correct the problem, unless there is something easier I am missing. I only use iMovie on an older Mac Book Pro.

And yes, I manually select the best quality. Other go pro videos look fine on this connection, mine, not so much.

There is a thread in the main forum from someone having the same issue as me, although a little less extreme.
6/5/2015 12:57am
Looks like compression to me. If it was direct off your camera I would say your SD card is too slow, but looks like somewhere its being compressed to hell, that is why you are seeing that artefacting.
Reverse engineer the solution from there since too many factors for me to consider a concise answer Smile

Post a reply to: GoPro to YouTube Quality

The Latest