vintage rolling art??

Since73
4/18/2017 10:57am
swatdoc wrote:
Don't tease us - show the rest of the bike!!!
Haha Laughing , I posted a couple more pictures in the Diamond Don's thread; including a full bike shot. I didn't want to be the newbie that throws a zillion pictures on here.

Although here's one more that could be classified as a "teaser" - my homemade rear mud guard flappy thing...

Since73
4/18/2017 11:01am
Suzuki DR200 brake rod kits will fit all jap bikes with a brake rod (full size)
$23.00 ?
Yep, great tip; thanks. I had found some new Honda and Suzuki ones like you mention, but what's the fun in that? Wink

I've learned that as a restorer, it's important to spend twice the cost and effort to get something done, just to say you made it blingy again....it's a sickness, I think.
Sofiedog
4/18/2017 12:26pm
Mine is a race bike...We have a great AVDRA club in AZ and race "old-school" track layouts, not modern tracks.
I just started racing MX at age 58!
I (and my bike) have completed two races and I'm excited about the last race of the season in a few weeks. Every race is like going to an MX museum...the bikes are amazing...some cleaner...some not.
What I didn't expect was the great group of people we hooked up with and my great sense of accomplishment to overcome my fears. My GF and I go out the day before and ride the track, then camp, and then race the next day...I'm so incredibly proud when my heats are over, even though I finish near the back...
My goals for my first races were to not hurt myself or anyone else, have my bike and I finish, have fun, and not come in last...I accomplished them all!
One note: a "restored" bike is not necessarily a "race ready" bike...there is so much more tuning to do.

The Shop

Since73
4/18/2017 12:51pm
That is a GREAT looking bike Sofiedog! And near to my heart. Pic of mine sitting in my college apartment the day I picked it up from the shop.

Sofiedog
4/18/2017 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2017 1:11pm
Since73 wrote:
That is a GREAT looking bike Sofiedog! And near to my heart. Pic of mine sitting in my college apartment the day I picked it up...
That is a GREAT looking bike Sofiedog! And near to my heart. Pic of mine sitting in my college apartment the day I picked it up from the shop.

Wow! That's an amazing picture to have!
Do you remember much about riding it? I think it's a very fun bike to ride...feels light, turns quickly, nice powerband. My brakes are not too good, but that double leading edge shoe design takes some tuning and my rear brake drum is pretty worn...What did you guys do with the handlebars? The originals seem really tall...mine has a standard size Renthal 909 (or 606) on it...I may go with something a bit taller like a CR High...I want to get some more seat time before I make up my mind...

4/18/2017 1:41pm
I too am all about riding them. Sold my 250F three years ago, and will never go back. Too much fun tinkering and reliving the "glory days" on these old dogs! LOL!

Sofiedog
4/18/2017 2:52pm
Wow! That's a really nice racing bike! Nice job!
Since73
4/18/2017 7:20pm
Sofiedog wrote:
Wow! That's an amazing picture to have! Do you remember much about riding it? I think it's a very fun bike to ride...feels light, turns quickly...
Wow! That's an amazing picture to have!
Do you remember much about riding it? I think it's a very fun bike to ride...feels light, turns quickly, nice powerband. My brakes are not too good, but that double leading edge shoe design takes some tuning and my rear brake drum is pretty worn...What did you guys do with the handlebars? The originals seem really tall...mine has a standard size Renthal 909 (or 606) on it...I may go with something a bit taller like a CR High...I want to get some more seat time before I make up my mind...

Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride it long - an injury put me out for quite a while (not the bike's fault), and then college got in the way! I do remember it being an awesome bike with plenty of smooth predictable power; don't remember much about the bars. Not many bikes would tempt me enough to restore or even race them again, but this one would!
Enjoy!
Since73
4/18/2017 7:33pm
txjcfsr wrote:
One more "non rider"....1974.5 Maico 501 GP Frame. Has to be one of the last of the 501s made. I have seen 1 that was a...
One more "non rider"....1974.5 Maico 501 GP Frame. Has to be one of the last of the 501s made. I have seen 1 that was a 1975 model, but most are earlier 70s models.

Never been fired, no gas, no oil since restoration. Added the Koni Poppy Body shocks for trick "era" look.

Definitely need to meet you at DD's Mr. F. What, we probably live 10 minutes from each other?
I like your COMBINATION of moto-art/Maicos etc.. and racers. That Husky 125 just screams "LETS GO!!"
txjcfsr
4/19/2017 3:28am
txjcfsr wrote:
One more "non rider"....1974.5 Maico 501 GP Frame. Has to be one of the last of the 501s made. I have seen 1 that was a...
One more "non rider"....1974.5 Maico 501 GP Frame. Has to be one of the last of the 501s made. I have seen 1 that was a 1975 model, but most are earlier 70s models.

Never been fired, no gas, no oil since restoration. Added the Koni Poppy Body shocks for trick "era" look.

Since73 wrote:
Definitely need to meet you at DD's Mr. F. What, we probably live 10 minutes from each other? I like your COMBINATION of moto-art/Maicos etc.. and...
Definitely need to meet you at DD's Mr. F. What, we probably live 10 minutes from each other?
I like your COMBINATION of moto-art/Maicos etc.. and racers. That Husky 125 just screams "LETS GO!!"
I agree! I will be parked in RV spot #19, a yellow trailer. It is located on the "back" part of the track road. Please swing by and let's have a chat. Hope to see you there!

4/19/2017 5:24am
Sofiedog wrote:
Wow! That's a really nice racing bike! Nice job!
Thank you Sofiedog! Your '83 is a stunner and looks showroom new! So cool to hear you just got started at 58 years young! What is the story/history of your ride?
newmann
4/19/2017 5:48am
txjcfsr wrote:

Since73 wrote:
Definitely need to meet you at DD's Mr. F. What, we probably live 10 minutes from each other? I like your COMBINATION of moto-art/Maicos etc.. and...
txjcfsr wrote:
I agree! I will be parked in RV spot #19, a yellow trailer. It is located on the "back" part of the track road. Please swing...
I agree! I will be parked in RV spot #19, a yellow trailer. It is located on the "back" part of the track road. Please swing by and let's have a chat. Hope to see you there!

We'll practically be neighbors. My pull through rv slot is right around there I believe. Newmann Casa.

Might bring this for sale.

txjcfsr
4/19/2017 7:23am
Since73 wrote:
txjcfsr wrote:
I agree! I will be parked in RV spot #19, a yellow trailer. It is located on the "back" part of the track road. Please swing...

newmann wrote:
We'll practically be neighbors. My pull through rv slot is right around there I believe. Newmann Casa. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/04/12/50868/s1200_IMG_20140412_154459_006.jpg[/img] Might bring this for sale. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/19/188885/s1200_Joe_Camera_full_card_018.jpg[/img]
We'll practically be neighbors. My pull through rv slot is right around there I believe. Newmann Casa.

Might bring this for sale.

Yes, right next to each other...

CDswinehart
4/20/2017 1:42pm
Hey, A Mark Charles bike stand! I still use mine. How many of those things are out there?

Nice AW Maico. Does it need to find a new home?
newmann
4/20/2017 2:46pm
Hey, A Mark Charles bike stand! I still use mine. How many of those things are out there? Nice AW Maico. Does it need to find...
Hey, A Mark Charles bike stand! I still use mine. How many of those things are out there?

Nice AW Maico. Does it need to find a new home?
Yes, it needs to find a new home. Belonged to my neighbor who had it built by John Caldwell in Canada. Spent a fortune having it built from scratch. Loads of new parts on it and extremely nice garage queen for the past decade.

Post a reply to: vintage rolling art??

The Latest