old Maryland photos

RefJeff
11/14/2016 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2016 1:45pm
I know I'm late to the party with this but, here is where the Maryland Line MX track was located.

RefJeff
11/14/2016 3:15pm
It was underneath the power lines that go across the middle of the red oval.
lumpy790
7/9/2017 5:48pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2017 6:07pm
Everyone. We are having a D-7 reunion at this years 2017 Budds Creek National in the Leggends and Heroes display area at 11AM. Please spread the word
James Kuhn
7/26/2017 1:37am Edited Date/Time 7/26/2017 1:52am
I came all the way up from Fla. and raced in MD probably around 79 or 80(within an hour or two from Bel-Air). I don't remember...
I came all the way up from Fla. and raced in MD probably around 79 or 80(within an hour or two from Bel-Air). I don't remember the track name but it had a nasty off camber turn with loose rock on it. Being from Fla., I had a terrible time trying to figure that turn out during practice. The pics of that Big Berm track makes me think it could have been there. Thanks, John
Hey John, I just read your comment about coming all the way from Fla and racing at a track in Md.around 1979.

Well here's what I've got... Back in the late 70's I was racing at a place just outside MD in Hanover Pa. On that day there was a rider who was up from Fla. and although it's nothing unusual to hear guys talking about not liking a track, especially one like Trailway Speedway.. for some reason your story sounded fimilure to me, kind of like I was there. Just like you stated, this Fla guy also didn't like the track and for the same type reasons. This could all just be a case not liking the Pa, Md, dirt we have up here.. but,.it would be really funny if that was you I met day. That day has become somewhat of a legend amongst me and my old race friends. I'll explain about it later if this turns out to be you.

Here is my best description of what, the Fla. guy was riding. He had a totally tricked out XR75. The bike was real tall I think it was a custom frame and I'm pretty sure it was painted like a powder blue. Any chance that was you? I hope so because the story of that day lives on till this day as one of the funniest moto-memories ever! Like I said it's a legend and none of it possible without the kid from Fla. and a comment made by his father concerning one of the riders who raced our class that day! I know your comment is a bit dated but I hope you see this.. Thanks!

The Shop

jjarman
7/26/2017 6:15am
Man you guys are bringing up a lot of old names from the past, don't forget Glenn Wright. By the way there is a friends of white oak Facebook page also friends of SME page
jjarman
7/26/2017 6:45am
If you guys are really old school and are from/near the Virginia Maryland area you better go to the Budds Creek National August 19th "Open this week, $30, PREPPED on WEEKENDS.
$40 PREPPED this WEEKEND. CLOSED NEXT WEEK.
PRO NATIONAL is Aug.19: It is 1 degree hotter Aug. 19 that Father's Day on average, please bring everyone, enemies & friends. ez-up's allowed. No crowd = High Point is your closest National next year. Amateur Day Fri & Sun." this is from John Beasley's post on the Facebook page Masters of Motocross
JPrevost
1/21/2018 1:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2018 1:11pm
Fatchance wrote:
I have Hagerstown 1983 on the back of these photos (I have some more) but I don't remember who these guys are. Anyone know? [IMG]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/fatchance1029/Reto%20MX/RetroMX2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/fatchance1029/Reto%20MX/RetroMXphotos.jpg[/IMG]...
I have Hagerstown 1983 on the back of these photos (I have some more) but I don't remember who these guys are.
Anyone know?

cvm wrote:
Wow!! That's my dodge van w/ my CR in front of it and my father figure from then till now his ford pik up behind the...
Wow!! That's my dodge van w/ my CR in front of it and my father figure from then till now his ford pik up behind the #22 kx. Was 250B then I think. Thx for all the posts, luv em

Wasn't #3 Andy Delauder?
New member. Having serious flashbacks of the old school district 6 and 7 tracks and names. Can't wait to share some stories and pics. 1974 - 80s. If anyone interested
lumpy790
1/21/2018 9:30pm
Andy Delauder has been ousting a ton of old Antietam pictureson the Antietam facebook page.

Could the KX be Randy Jones?
JPrevost
1/22/2018 6:55am
My guess on the KX is Randy Jones or Mike Moore
lumpy790
1/22/2018 7:30am
JPrevost wrote:
I posted it on FB and tagged Randy and he liked it but did not comment yet so maybe?

Chip Anacker came to mind too.
cvm
1/23/2018 2:17am
Fatchance wrote:
I have Hagerstown 1983 on the back of these photos (I have some more) but I don't remember who these guys are. Anyone know? [IMG]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/fatchance1029/Reto%20MX/RetroMX2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/fatchance1029/Reto%20MX/RetroMXphotos.jpg[/IMG]...
I have Hagerstown 1983 on the back of these photos (I have some more) but I don't remember who these guys are.
Anyone know?

cvm wrote:
Wow!! That's my dodge van w/ my CR in front of it and my father figure from then till now his ford pik up behind the...
Wow!! That's my dodge van w/ my CR in front of it and my father figure from then till now his ford pik up behind the #22 kx. Was 250B then I think. Thx for all the posts, luv em

Wasn't #3 Andy Delauder?
JPrevost wrote:
New member. Having serious flashbacks of the old school district 6 and 7 tracks and names. Can't wait to share some stories and pics. 1974 -...
New member. Having serious flashbacks of the old school district 6 and 7 tracks and names. Can't wait to share some stories and pics. 1974 - 80s. If anyone interested
Jeff i remember you from back in the day.
Welcome, Post-em!!
Mark
You wouldn't remember me
KevinMac79
7/7/2018 5:18pm
JPrevost wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:
I posted it on FB and tagged Randy and he liked it but did not comment yet so maybe?

I just found this thread...what a great walk down memory lane. #22 on the KX is me, Kevin McCarthy. I started out racing in MAMA on Yamaha’s out of Cycle Sport in Tyson’s Corner (and worked there for several years with Scott Bland). I moved to D7 and rode Kawasaki’s for Dale Norfolk at Cycle 5/Team Green. I had some good years on the KX125 and 250’s. There are many fond memories that come back reading this thread...familiar names and many old friends (that I unfortunately don’t do a good job keeping up with). Although I stopped riding/racing in ‘87, I still keep up with the sport.
Antarctica
9/6/2018 1:28pm
KevinMac79 wrote:
I just found this thread...what a great walk down memory lane. #22 on the KX is me, Kevin McCarthy. I started out racing in MAMA on...
I just found this thread...what a great walk down memory lane. #22 on the KX is me, Kevin McCarthy. I started out racing in MAMA on Yamaha’s out of Cycle Sport in Tyson’s Corner (and worked there for several years with Scott Bland). I moved to D7 and rode Kawasaki’s for Dale Norfolk at Cycle 5/Team Green. I had some good years on the KX125 and 250’s. There are many fond memories that come back reading this thread...familiar names and many old friends (that I unfortunately don’t do a good job keeping up with). Although I stopped riding/racing in ‘87, I still keep up with the sport.
You mentioned Tyson's corner....

I grew up in Vienna in the 70's/80's - a little before you I guess. But the older kids around me that had bikes always talked of the 'pits' in Tyson's - like it was mythical. Heard of a few serious injuries being attributed to it too. I presume it was just a local spot where folks rode. Later it was developed into the Tyson's II shopping center.

Anyone got any info? Stories? Pics even?
lumpy790
9/26/2018 4:58am
JPrevost wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:

KevinMac79 wrote:
I just found this thread...what a great walk down memory lane. #22 on the KX is me, Kevin McCarthy. I started out racing in MAMA on...
Welcome to Vital Kevin. Dale Norfolk & sons Skip and Sean are Mx legends. Dale taught me how to press a crank.

Do you still ride? Do you remember Lump Racing Suspension? That was me and I now live just below Charlotte in SC where the cheap gas is.
Trex28
11/2/2018 6:32am
Hey Lumpy790
I just found this site and joined after reading through some of the post. They really brought back some good memories. I started racing in the seventies in Chesapeake Va at the Mid-East/ Dirt Park Track in the 125 class. Ran my first AMA race at LST, I came through the B class racing a lot with Glenn Wright, (RIP). When I moved into the A class I had some great runs with some of the guys I have seen mentioned in these posts.

Troy
linker48x
8/23/2021 9:18pm
Hey, three years after the last post, I just found this thread. I am from California and raced there but I was in Washington DC right after law school from 1974 to 1976 and I bought a 400 CZ from Ralph at the Dirt shop in Beltsville and I raced in district 7 at Big Berm, Bausum Farm, Antietam, Budds Creek, Mineral, and Appalachia Lake, and some hare scrambles and an enduro in the Jersey Pine Barrens. I used to trail ride a lot on the trails in Springfield Va and used to see John Untiedt riding there occasionally. I moved to Alaska in 1976 and I’ve been here ever since. I’ve roadrace and dirt tracked and rode in the California desert a fair amount but MX is what I did most. Stopped racing in the last few years after a crash at Sears Point broke 6 ribs. Missing mx though. Thanks for all the memories guys!!
Jeff Streett
8/24/2021 3:34am
linker48x wrote:
Hey, three years after the last post, I just found this thread. I am from California and raced there but I was in Washington DC right...
Hey, three years after the last post, I just found this thread. I am from California and raced there but I was in Washington DC right after law school from 1974 to 1976 and I bought a 400 CZ from Ralph at the Dirt shop in Beltsville and I raced in district 7 at Big Berm, Bausum Farm, Antietam, Budds Creek, Mineral, and Appalachia Lake, and some hare scrambles and an enduro in the Jersey Pine Barrens. I used to trail ride a lot on the trails in Springfield Va and used to see John Untiedt riding there occasionally. I moved to Alaska in 1976 and I’ve been here ever since. I’ve roadrace and dirt tracked and rode in the California desert a fair amount but MX is what I did most. Stopped racing in the last few years after a crash at Sears Point broke 6 ribs. Missing mx though. Thanks for all the memories guys!!
Never too late to join and catch up on the the past. Welcome!!
Did you see the FB link to District 7 oldies?
Here it is.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/D7Alumni/

linker48x
8/27/2021 1:50pm
Hey, thanks for the FB link, that was great!
Antarctica
9/21/2021 5:02pm
Not Maryland, but I bet some maryland riders made it here a few times...

Great vid that this guy did on the gravel pits in Springfield Va.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK-I-SB5Wfk

Before my time by a bit. Man I wish I'd been ten years older back then...
linker48x
10/9/2021 5:57pm
Wow, thanks for the link to the "Before There Was Kingstowne" video, that one really took me back to 74-76, I must have ridden out there once a week or more, for a couple years, schedule permitting. The pictures of the power line disappearing over the rolling hills especially brought me back, I had a loop laid out maybe 10 miles around, from the truck along the power lines first to the west, then south, then back to the east, then back to the truck, that I just rode and rode, some places it required putting my head down on the gas tank to get through the brush--even lost my wristwatch in there when it got scraped off by brush. No biggie, cheap Timex watch, but really fun to ride. That route went to the west quite a bit so it must have been in part where the Kingstowne shops are now. This reminds me a lot of some other places I used to ride that are now gone, like in Baldwin Hills along La Cienega in LA, in the oil fields up there, great hills, and lots of open ground, and you could ride clear to the ocean to the west through Fox Hills where there is a big mall now, with solid city to the ocean, and Albany Hill, In the East Bay north of Berkeley, all covered with condos now, Point Richmond in the East Bay by the Richmond Ramblers clubhouse, San Bruno Mountain in South San Francisco, all houses now, and even like Carlsbad, where the track just disappeared under industrial/warehouse development. Boy, those were the days, we could ride about anywhere! and before Kingstowne, we sure had a lot of fun in Springfield close to home.
Jeff Streett
10/11/2021 3:56am
Antarctica wrote:
Not Maryland, but I bet some maryland riders made it here a few times... Great vid that this guy did on the gravel pits in Springfield...
Not Maryland, but I bet some maryland riders made it here a few times...

Great vid that this guy did on the gravel pits in Springfield Va.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK-I-SB5Wfk

Before my time by a bit. Man I wish I'd been ten years older back then...
... Why are the comments turn off on the youtube video?
Thanks for posting it. I never rode there but that is still great memories for those that did.

We had a place next to RT 40 in White Marsh, MD. lots of locals would ride. We lived in Bradshaw, MD. and would ride down the rail road tracks, turn left and up a steep hill to get to the gravel pit.

PeterW
3/15/2022 7:12pm
Ah, the memories of my youth at Big Berm! I still have an old Big Berm T-shirt in my closet.
Skip Schildhauer was a neighborhood friend of mine. We all had dirt bikes and terrorized the neighborhood. Skip's dad Hank built a small track in their backyard, and as Skip became better built Big Berm (Skip's dad owned Big Berm). His wife Helen Lee kept us all sane as the track den mother.

Hank recruited me to run the place. I built the PA. I would go out on Saturdays and begin watering the track so that it wouldn't be too dusty on Sunday. Hank and installed a massive underground watering system fed by a 6" pipe from the nearby river. There was a big gas powered pump to drive this - sort of like someone bolted a pump onto an old John Deere tractor.

On Sunday, I'd recruit all my buddies from high school to come out for the day and be flagmen and starters.

Skip was a great racer. One time he did a serious endo at Big Berm, flipped upside down and the bike came down on top of his pelvis, splitting it. The doctors said he wouldn't walk for six months and would never race. Skip was back at Big Berm winning trophies two months later.

I remember Skip originally riding Suzuki RM-125s and then getting an early Kawasaki sponsorship; I don't think anyone else had a Kawasaki at that time.

We had a lot of fun. Hank had a big Blue Bird bust that was converted into a motorhome (and a Chrysler Cordoba that we never stopped ribbing him about). I destroyed my dad's car driving around the track one Saturday - that Toyota $Runner just couldn't take that jump. And a the end of the day, back at the Schildhauer's, Helen Lee would share a G&T with their pet rabbit or he'd bang on his cage.

I lost touch with them after I moved away for college. Those were some fun days.
CPDAve
4/21/2022 10:24am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2022 7:38am
Grew riding with friends in Potomac MD, and McLean VA. I lived in Bethesda MD, but spent some time at the McLean VA pits between 1975 and '78, when I joined Reston Dirt Riders for a couple of years. Here's a link to some converted Super 8mm from 1977 May/June me on my of RM125B, the number on the bike belonged to Mike Sullivan who borrowed the bike for some testing and 1 race at Antietam. Mike decided to stick with YZs, but I got some good set-up advice.

And some video my friend Justin Huffman captured of my first ride in 36 years on the RM125B at Whittens MX July 3rd 2017 (flailing a bit):

lumpy790
4/22/2022 6:19pm
PeterW wrote:
Ah, the memories of my youth at Big Berm! I still have an old Big Berm T-shirt in my closet. Skip Schildhauer was a neighborhood friend...
Ah, the memories of my youth at Big Berm! I still have an old Big Berm T-shirt in my closet.
Skip Schildhauer was a neighborhood friend of mine. We all had dirt bikes and terrorized the neighborhood. Skip's dad Hank built a small track in their backyard, and as Skip became better built Big Berm (Skip's dad owned Big Berm). His wife Helen Lee kept us all sane as the track den mother.

Hank recruited me to run the place. I built the PA. I would go out on Saturdays and begin watering the track so that it wouldn't be too dusty on Sunday. Hank and installed a massive underground watering system fed by a 6" pipe from the nearby river. There was a big gas powered pump to drive this - sort of like someone bolted a pump onto an old John Deere tractor.

On Sunday, I'd recruit all my buddies from high school to come out for the day and be flagmen and starters.

Skip was a great racer. One time he did a serious endo at Big Berm, flipped upside down and the bike came down on top of his pelvis, splitting it. The doctors said he wouldn't walk for six months and would never race. Skip was back at Big Berm winning trophies two months later.

I remember Skip originally riding Suzuki RM-125s and then getting an early Kawasaki sponsorship; I don't think anyone else had a Kawasaki at that time.

We had a lot of fun. Hank had a big Blue Bird bust that was converted into a motorhome (and a Chrysler Cordoba that we never stopped ribbing him about). I destroyed my dad's car driving around the track one Saturday - that Toyota $Runner just couldn't take that jump. And a the end of the day, back at the Schildhauer's, Helen Lee would share a G&T with their pet rabbit or he'd bang on his cage.

I lost touch with them after I moved away for college. Those were some fun days.
I believe you maybe confusing the Schildhauer’s starting the MAMA - Mid Atlantic Motocross Association Youth organization at Big Berm as their home track.

The way I recall it Jimmy Lauers dad (James?) rented the land and started the track and ran it till it closed.
lumpy790
4/22/2022 6:34pm
linker48x wrote:
Hey, three years after the last post, I just found this thread. I am from California and raced there but I was in Washington DC right...

I worked at the Dirt Shop for Ralf for a few years and was very close to buying it all from Ralf but the building was not large enough to do the changes I was planning. Ralf was a mentor that did give me some of the advise that got me to where I am today. I usually would stop and see Ralf and Carol when we came up to MD for Christmas but its been a couple years. I hope to see Ralf at the Broom Factory a D7 vintage MC museum in Baltimore when they have an open house this year.
MaicoJC1
4/30/2022 6:31pm
Grew up riding around Anne Arundel county, MD -- Severn, Laurel, Gambrills, Odenton, Fort Meade, Hanover, Jessup...(and could even make it all the way out to Crofton via the old railroad trails) when these places were just sleepy little small suburbs with old farmland and trails everywhere Cool thing was you didn't need a trailer because all of these trail/courses could be accessed by just connecting from one trail to another. Hell, Fort Meade, in the early to mid 70's had a little moto track right in the middle of the base.

No hauling or trailers needed... Just needed a couple of bucks (gas was about $0.60 to $1 from the mid to late 70's), strap a small bottle pre-mix in between your steering stem/upper triple clamps and number plate, open the garage and roll about 100 yards down the street into the big open field across from our house, and the trails/tracks were all yours...Some of the best days of my life were spent riding on these trails...

Kinda always bums me out when I see how much they've built on every piece of available land in the county. Now I have to trailer my bike 45 minutes - 1.5 hours away if I want to get any riding in...Oh well -- still, I'm grateful for the childhood/teen memories I have of riding with my pals. Great time to be alive back then!

RBrider
5/1/2022 11:17am
MaicoJC1 wrote:
Grew up riding around Anne Arundel county, MD -- Severn, Laurel, Gambrills, Odenton, Fort Meade, Hanover, Jessup...(and could even make it all the way out to...
Grew up riding around Anne Arundel county, MD -- Severn, Laurel, Gambrills, Odenton, Fort Meade, Hanover, Jessup...(and could even make it all the way out to Crofton via the old railroad trails) when these places were just sleepy little small suburbs with old farmland and trails everywhere Cool thing was you didn't need a trailer because all of these trail/courses could be accessed by just connecting from one trail to another. Hell, Fort Meade, in the early to mid 70's had a little moto track right in the middle of the base.

No hauling or trailers needed... Just needed a couple of bucks (gas was about $0.60 to $1 from the mid to late 70's), strap a small bottle pre-mix in between your steering stem/upper triple clamps and number plate, open the garage and roll about 100 yards down the street into the big open field across from our house, and the trails/tracks were all yours...Some of the best days of my life were spent riding on these trails...

Kinda always bums me out when I see how much they've built on every piece of available land in the county. Now I have to trailer my bike 45 minutes - 1.5 hours away if I want to get any riding in...Oh well -- still, I'm grateful for the childhood/teen memories I have of riding with my pals. Great time to be alive back then!

I rode all those places as well. You left out the dust bowl in Glen Burnie LOL. Speaking of riding the old RR beds. We used to ride the Woodstock area a lot. One weekend three of us rode our dirt bikes from the Harwood/ Dorsey area (Along the Howard/ AA Border) to Woodstock via the RR tracks. Central Md was a great place for dirt biking in the early 70’s. I’m guessing I’m about 10 yrs older than you, as I was in my mid 20’s in those days
lumpy790
5/3/2022 6:52am
MaiciJC1 and RBrider we may have ridden together! I grew up in Laurel in MD City at the edge of AA and PG counties by the horse track and graduated from Meade Sr High in 1980 and even rode on that track you mentioned on base plus there were a couple different ones on base or next to it. Last one I remember was right by Meade SR High next to 175

Did you guys know Mike Farmer or Mitch Owen? Mike is still blazing fast and racing today.

I loved pounding out laps at the dust bowl in Glen Bernie in those 2 feet deep sand woops and crazy hot temps.

Did either of you ever ride at MD City off of Brock Bridge RD? I lived right there and started riding there in 1976. We also rode in Mock Field the land where Meade had their mock wars. There was a old road under the parkway into it from MD City and we could ride all the way over to Odenton and the RR tracks you are taking about. And yes it is a federal offense if you get caught riding there …. And I did. 😆
Dingels75
8/15/2022 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 7:30am
Hey. My name is Dave Ingels and I raced Budds Creek in 74' (and/or 73'?)

I never got to know anyone at the races since I was shy, went to the races alone and my racing career was short lived. When I was brand new to the B class I broke my wrist on a Saturday before a Budds Creek race while practicing in the Beltsville pits near Briggs Chaney and Old Gunpowder Rds. The injury setback, girls, cars, school, jobs and more girls derailed the racing. I bought my VR250 from Heyser from Bob Burrows, a neighbor who was a salesman there. Memory says that I paid $1,700 new off the showroom floor. I believe that his brother Al whom we kids called crazy Albert also worked at Heyser?

The trophies in the photo were 1st, 2nd and 3rd all from the 250 C class at Budds Creek. I took 1st after a guy ahead of me lost one of his rear shocks in the last lap. I don't know his name but his dad was there in a Winnebago. I wonder if anyone on here may remember that or who it was? The 3rd place was in an inaugural Turkey Weekend Classic or some such Thanksgiving weekend name? I was a mid-packer in a few B class race(s) before I broke my wrist.

I grew up in Landover Hills MD riding gravel pits that we called Phantom Hill at the Beltway and Rt. 50 what is now the New Carrollton Metro Station. We rode Contee Pits quite a bit and inside the Beltway where the Greenbelt Metro Station parking lot is now. My friends dad, Curtice Wink frequently took us over to ride at the Tyson Pits that is now Tysons II. I remember that the only thing there was The Holiday Inn and AT&T tower on top of the hill.

I have continued riding street bikes my entire life and currently live in Purcellville, VA. This July I did a 13 day, 8 country European Tour riding 34 mountain passes in the Alps and Dolomites.

Post a reply to: old Maryland photos

The Latest