old Maryland photos

lumpy790
Edited Date/Time 11/16/2022 11:21am
A few 1980 vintage Lumpy photos from Big Berm. Any one remember Jimmy Lauer? Glen Taylor? Greg Boughtwell? The Witter brothers?

|
PN27416
10/30/2008 1:59pm
Very cool photos. I stumbled on a website for old drag racing of NHRA's website. It had a page on the long gone Aquasco track, basically still there un-touched. I emailed them asking about the motocross track. He emailed me back that it was bulldozed about 10 years ago and you would have never known it was there. Was sorry to hear.
croom mx
10/30/2008 2:07pm
I had one of those MX Fox Jerseys, back then you were really cool if you had one to ride with.
NetMXer
10/30/2008 5:07pm
I remember all those guys and raced against most of them. Last I heard, Big Berm is still sitting there nearly 30 years after it closed. I think they used one corner of the property for some construction site but most of the rest of the property hasn't been touched.
lumpy790
10/30/2008 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2008 6:31pm
You can still drive all the way back to the track by driving into the land fill that sits next to the track. There is a place where guys ride by where you used to gay to get in.

The Shop

10/31/2008 6:52am
I'm still amazed how people could race bikes with those Scott boots on....especially Bob Hannah. He sold a bunch of those boots.
motogrady
10/31/2008 7:36am

Dist 7 guys. Boutwell's was a shop in the city. Didn't Taylor have a brother that was
pretty good also?

Before them....Mike Cleveland, Noel Hall, the DelGarno brothers.......man, time flies....
maicocd
10/31/2008 8:30am
Great to see the Big Berm pictures! Thanks for posting them.

I'm also glad that you raised mention of some classic D-7 riders like Glen Taylor, Jimmy Lauer, Noel Hall, etc. These were the guys that as a kid I first looked up to when I started in D-7.

Any time I think of Big Berm, I think of Glen Taylor clearing the "uphill double" on his Maico Magnum (sometimes one handing it or throwing a leg or two off the pegs). He made it look effortless, but on my YZ-80 it scared the living be-jeebies out of me!

Of course with today's bikes, that uphill double would probably be cleared by kids today on KTM 60's! Back then, the only mini guy that could pull it of was Randy Jones on his very cool KX-80. I was always a little surprised that Randy Jones didn't make it big, as he was by far on a totally different level. He was extremely impressive to watch ride. He almost totally disappeared a year after jumping up to a 125. I did last hear a few years ago that Randy had been working landscaping in Maryland.

My Dad knew Noel Hall. I think Dad even had one of Noel's old Maicos at one point. He also knew the Delgarno brothers as well (I remember when Bultaco used Brian in an ad in the motorcycle magazines).

I also saw the Aquasco NRHA website pictures that you mentioned. They made me feel old to see that full size trees have now grown up through the drag strip! In our MAMA racing days, my father often went down to Aquasco on Thursdays to prep the track for big races. He would throw my bike on the lowboy with the bulldozer and I would have Aquasco totally to myself while he prepped the track! The story gets even better-- I once squeezed my KX-80 though the welded guardrail that blocked the old dragstrip and gave my little KX a few runs down the drag strip totally tapped out to where the G-forces of the wind on my helmet visor had my totally head pushed back and my eyes watering with goggles on.
I still remember my Dad asking what happened to my new knobby tire... "Uh.. I dunno Dad!!!".

I just found some old Cycling East's at my parents-- dating from '73 - '89. I'll try to see about scanning some shots if I can. I know someone was looking for a picture of Farrell McCoughlah (sp) a while back, and I believe he may be in one of them.

Thanks for the trip down the D-7 memory lane this morning!
lumpy790
10/31/2008 9:48am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 9:03pm
motogrady wrote:
Dist 7 guys. Boutwell's was a shop in the city. Didn't Taylor have a brother that was pretty good also? Before them....Mike Cleveland, Noel Hall, the...

Dist 7 guys. Boutwell's was a shop in the city. Didn't Taylor have a brother that was
pretty good also?

Before them....Mike Cleveland, Noel Hall, the DelGarno brothers.......man, time flies....
I 100% Loved my Scott Boots......but I also wore Heckel boots before them.

Not only was Boutwells a Yamaha Shop in Timonium but there were 2 Boutwell Brothers that ware fast. Last I knew Greg Boutwell was still gunning for us riders rights as an AMA congressman and worked at Cycle World in Glen Burnie. Was it 78 when Greg raced a Champion framed super trick TT500?

I worked for Mike Cleveland at Tucker Rocky. Last Christmas I was back home in Laurel and we went to dinner at the Red Lobster. While sitting there I would swear Jimmy Lauer and his family was waiting for a table too.

Randy Jones was super fast but always crashed after moving up to the big bikes. A friend of mine John Huston beat Randy Jones for the #1 125A plate that year.....Randy would come smokin by John but a few turns later would be picking his bike up. Randys uncle worked at Heysers and won the 1977 D-7 open championship when Heysers had the big team on Orange Yamahas. Boutwell finnished 2nd.

Do any of you remember the Drop off water crossing at Budds Creek?

How cool would it be to bring back that section for the National?

Aquasco......I loved that track! Some of you may remember me as Lump Racing Suspension & Sky Force Racing Suspension.

Greg (Ears) Moores

Outahand Jeff Lanahan

Karsons Suzuki/Maico was a power house

The Pits in Laurel

The Dust Bowl in Glen Burnie

Dunkirk

Before my time but I picked up this Cycling East on eBay a few years ago.

NetMXer
10/31/2008 1:13pm
Ahhh, the good ole days.

Those gravel pits on Laurel were amazing. I grew up in Beltsville and started riding in those pits in 74. I would leave my house on my TS100 and ride all day. Stop for a snack at the Gunpowder Country club, then eat lunch at the Bay and Surf next to Heysers. Spend an hour or two at Heysers snooping around, then head back home again.

There were a lot of good D7 riders back before Virginia became D13. There was Troy Bradshaw, Ferrell McCoullogh, Pete Wolfe, John Untide, Jimmy Gibson, Mike Kelly
TG130
10/31/2008 9:55pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2008 9:55pm
NetMXer
11/1/2008 2:33am
TG130, thanks for those pictures. Ferrell was a good friend of mine back in the 70's and it was nice to see those pictures.
I remember the year he won the 125 National at Carlsbad. Since this was way before the internet and MX wasn't covered on TV at all, we had a hard time finding out the results of the race. A bunch of us neighbors kept checking with each other hoping one of us would hear from the McCoulloghs with the results. When we heard he won, we just couldn't believe it, then we heard about his do or die pass at the finish line of the second moto to clinch the win. I sure wish there was video of that race.
lumpy790
11/1/2008 3:35pm
OK help my old memory.......who was the big kid who raced Maicos whos dad always wore shorts? I remember him at the Am Nationals in Michigan at Red Bud (1981?) when it was so cold the Maicos suspension would not rebound and he was in shorts freezing.
NetMXer
11/1/2008 4:48pm
lumpy790 wrote:
OK help my old memory.......who was the big kid who raced Maicos whos dad always wore shorts? I remember him at the Am Nationals in Michigan...
OK help my old memory.......who was the big kid who raced Maicos whos dad always wore shorts? I remember him at the Am Nationals in Michigan at Red Bud (1981?) when it was so cold the Maicos suspension would not rebound and he was in shorts freezing.
Are you talking about Skip Schildhauer?
TG130
11/1/2008 9:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/2/2008 12:03am
NetMXer wrote:
TG130, thanks for those pictures. Ferrell was a good friend of mine back in the 70's and it was nice to see those pictures. I remember...
TG130, thanks for those pictures. Ferrell was a good friend of mine back in the 70's and it was nice to see those pictures.
I remember the year he won the 125 National at Carlsbad. Since this was way before the internet and MX wasn't covered on TV at all, we had a hard time finding out the results of the race. A bunch of us neighbors kept checking with each other hoping one of us would hear from the McCoulloghs with the results. When we heard he won, we just couldn't believe it, then we heard about his do or die pass at the finish line of the second moto to clinch the win. I sure wish there was video of that race.
No problem. Glad you enjoyed them. I would have liked to have seen how well he might have done in the Pro Nationals.
TG130
11/1/2008 9:28pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2008 9:31pm
NetMXer wrote:
Are you talking about Skip Schildhauer?
Did this Skip Schildauer race the AMA Amateur Nationals in 1979 ? The guy I'm thinking of was riding a KX 250 and had a really bad crash into a tree. I remember the guy was hurt pretty bad from what I remember. I'm pretty sure that was his name.
lumpy790
11/2/2008 6:19am
Skip Schildhauer..............Ya that is his name. Super nice kid and family. He rode out of Cycle 5 on Maicos but I do not remember him on a Kawasaki. In 79 he might have even still been on an 80.

Its a shame Mike Farmer never made it Pro.......I think he would have had something for them.

Its funny there were so many fast MD riders that came out of MAMA and then the district.........back then only Bradshaw made a splash as a pro till Mike Moore.
viking24
11/2/2008 8:25am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 9:05pm
"Did this Skip Schildauer race the AMA Amateur Nationals in 1979 ? The guy I'm thinking of was riding a KX 250 and had a really bad crash into a tree. I remember the guy was hurt pretty bad from what I remember. I'm pretty sure that was his name."

Wasn't it Jimmy Brookens (sp) that suffered a spinal injury related to a crash with a tree. Fast dude on RMs from the early 80's era, later got into micro's or karting.
NetMXer
11/2/2008 10:33am
I think Brookens got hurt at Aquasco and it was probably in 82 or 83.

Skip and I made our way up through the youth ranks at the same time in District 7. I remember he rode some pretty tricked out 100's back in 76-77 time frame. We were the freshmen class for the MAMA organization around that time. I'm pretty sure by 79 Skip was riding a 125 or maybe even a 250.
NetMXer
11/2/2008 10:36am
TG130 wrote:
Did this Skip Schildauer race the AMA Amateur Nationals in 1979 ? The guy I'm thinking of was riding a KX 250 and had a really...
Did this Skip Schildauer race the AMA Amateur Nationals in 1979 ? The guy I'm thinking of was riding a KX 250 and had a really bad crash into a tree. I remember the guy was hurt pretty bad from what I remember. I'm pretty sure that was his name.
Where was the 79 Nationals held? I remember Pete Wolf getting hurt pretty seriously at a track in Kansas. I don't remember the year or what bike he was on though. Since 77 was at Carlsbad and 78 was at Sugar Tree, it may have been 79 in Kansas. I always remembered him riding Ossa's or Yamahas though.
TG130
11/2/2008 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 9:05pm
This was at Plymouth, California on the old Hangtown track. 1979 AMA Amateur National Championship. The incident I'm speaking of happened in the 2nd 250 expert moto that day. Plymouth was a very rough sand track and back then they never groomed the track between motos at all, so by this time the track was extremely rough from being raced on all day by 4 pro classes.

At the spot where we were spectating from, there was a very gnarly pot hole that had developed right next to a tree. There were several near crashes before the guy on the KX 250 came by, got way out of shape in this pot hole and crashed into the tree at high speed. I was standing just a few feet away from it and saw the whole thing. The rider seemed to be hurt pretty bad, he was awake and alert, moving around, but yelling out in pain. The last thing I remember was the rider being carried away on a stretcher.

After the moto I went to the scorekeeper's booth and looked up the rider's name - it was Skip Schildauer. I never did hear whatever happened to him - whether he was ok or not and this is the first time I've heard his name since that day. Even though this happened almost 30 years ago, I still remember it well because it was such a horrific crash - one of the worst and scariest I have ever seen. I hope he was OK. Do any of you guys know how he is doing today ? And right after this moto, they got out the shovels and cleaned up the gnarly pot hole.
NetMXer
11/2/2008 2:54pm
Skip must not have been seriously hurt. He raced several more years in Maryland and even won the #1 plate in the Open class one year. I think he's into rock crawlers or riding jeeps offroad now.
TG130
11/2/2008 3:27pm
NetMXer wrote:
Skip must not have been seriously hurt. He raced several more years in Maryland and even won the #1 plate in the Open class one year...
Skip must not have been seriously hurt. He raced several more years in Maryland and even won the #1 plate in the Open class one year. I think he's into rock crawlers or riding jeeps offroad now.
Thanks. I'm glad that he wasn't hurt as bad as it looked.
slowvet
11/2/2008 5:45pm
Thanks for the shots Lumpy, good memories of the battles between District 7 and District 13/29. Glen Wright, Ray Pulley, Jimmy Pigg, T.J. Estepp, John Grauman and of course the district 7 guys. Glen Taylor was my idol back then. Anteitam, Aquasco, Budds! I'll never forget John's mom taking money at the gate at budds creek. Checking under the tarps, behind seats. good stuff. I got a nice welt from the rubber band start at budds creek. The gator pit at Big Berm and that up hill double, I think I knocked myself out there.. those were the days.
lumpy790
11/3/2008 11:50am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 9:05pm
Do they still hold the D-7 D-13 shootout?

Some one must have old pictures from White Oak.

I had lost all of my old pictures & trophies from back then.

The best thing about the pictures I posted above..........I scanned those in from my old girl friends collection. She had kept them for almost 30 years that we had not seen or talked to each other! She is a keeper! We just celebrated out 1st year wedding anniversary.

JOHN CHOATE
11/3/2008 7:02pm
I came all the way up from Fla. and raced in MD probably around 79 or 80(within an hour or two from Bel-Air). I don't remember the track name but it had a nasty off camber turn with loose rock on it. Being from Fla., I had a terrible time trying to figure that turn out during practice. The pics of that Big Berm track makes me think it could have been there. Thanks, John
maicocd
11/4/2008 7:32am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 9:06pm
John- you may be right that the track you raced was probably Big Berm, as this would have likely been the closest track to Bel Air in '79/'80. (about 1- 1/2 hours away). Unless you went up into Pennsylvania, there were really only a small handful of tracks in MD in '79/'80. (and sadly- even less today)
Antietam in Hagerstown wasn't too much further out RT.70 from Big Berm, so that may have been a possibility too.
Maryland Line was also around in '79. It was only about 30 mins from Bel Air (and is only a few minutes away from where I now live).
Offhand I can't remember the off camber turn at Big Berm, but that doesn't mean much as I recall Big Berm frequently adding new sections from time to time, running the track different directions, & generally mixing things up on a fairly regular basis taht last year before it closed. Budds Creek, of course, had the off camber turn that I recall that sounds the most like the one you are speaking of.

Lumpy- thanks for starting this thread! I haven't been able to check in for a day or two, but I love all the responses that have followed as a result! By the way- your story of your wife reminds me of me & my wife. I reconnected with my wife at my 15 year reunion & have now been married two years... We also rode out of our wedding on my street bike.
Great picture & congrats!

I'll still try to scan some Cycling Easts as I mentioned a couple days ago.
Chris
NetMXer
11/4/2008 8:18am
Maicocd, is the Maryland Line track still farm land? I tried to find it on Google Earth and think i found it. If I found the right location, it looks pretty much the same as it did 30 years ago.
JOHN CHOATE
11/4/2008 4:42pm
maicocd wrote:
John- you may be right that the track you raced was probably Big Berm, as this would have likely been the closest track to Bel Air...
John- you may be right that the track you raced was probably Big Berm, as this would have likely been the closest track to Bel Air in '79/'80. (about 1- 1/2 hours away). Unless you went up into Pennsylvania, there were really only a small handful of tracks in MD in '79/'80. (and sadly- even less today)
Antietam in Hagerstown wasn't too much further out RT.70 from Big Berm, so that may have been a possibility too.
Maryland Line was also around in '79. It was only about 30 mins from Bel Air (and is only a few minutes away from where I now live).
Offhand I can't remember the off camber turn at Big Berm, but that doesn't mean much as I recall Big Berm frequently adding new sections from time to time, running the track different directions, & generally mixing things up on a fairly regular basis taht last year before it closed. Budds Creek, of course, had the off camber turn that I recall that sounds the most like the one you are speaking of.

Lumpy- thanks for starting this thread! I haven't been able to check in for a day or two, but I love all the responses that have followed as a result! By the way- your story of your wife reminds me of me & my wife. I reconnected with my wife at my 15 year reunion & have now been married two years... We also rode out of our wedding on my street bike.
Great picture & congrats!

I'll still try to scan some Cycling Easts as I mentioned a couple days ago.
Chris
Thanks for responding. I'm sure it wasn't Budds Creek but I now remember one fairly steep uphill with lots of square edge bumps. The name Big Berm rings a bell with me but I may have seen that track listed in Cycle News or somewhere else. I was still on 80's at the time and had a hard time adapting to that track. I was from Fla. and was used to much softer terrain. Anyways, thanks again.
lumpy790
11/4/2008 7:47pm
As I recall.....Big Berm had 1 or 2 off cambers in the top section. The only hill there I can think of would have been the stair step right after the start. I loved the ski jumps along the starting line!

I spectated at one MD Line race but do not recall a hill. Could have been Domascus? Was it all natural with grass when the day started?

The HD was not ours. It was the hair dressers boyfriends and when we saw it in the parking lot we had to do it. Lets just say my inlaws were not thrilled.......even though my wife has her own Virago they dont like bikes that much.

Post a reply to: old Maryland photos

The Latest