check Vin

MaxPower
for some reason motorcycle titles are the most lost thing in the world next to the matching sock in your sock drawer. How do you check a motorcycles VIN to be sure it wasn't stolen before you buy a used bike?
|
Mr. Sandman
1/31/2018 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2018 3:16pm
In California, the DMV or the California Highway Patrol (CHP) can run it for you. A word of warning though, the CHP once told me if a VIN comes back as stolen and you have the bike in your possession, they will impound it on the spot and you'll probably be SOL in getting it back.
Kidkawie
2/1/2018 5:57am
In NJ if the PD runs a VIN and it's stolen it begins a report process. Was warned that by a local PD officer.
Rocky739
2/1/2018 6:41am
I now check the VIN on one of these websites before I buy a bike... Easy enough to do on your phone while your there. I've been told that stolen VIN's only stay in the data base for five years? I don't see why you couldn't call or walk into the BMV and have them run a search also before you buy, no way am I going to get the fuzz involved till I'm pretty certain the bike isn't hot or has a lien against it!

The Shop

Post a reply to: check Vin

The Latest