YZ 80 Clutch Question

Related:
Create New Tag

10/23/2017 11:33 AM

I was hoping to get some input from you guys. I'm restoring a 87 YZ 80 and the clutch basket was in terrible shape. The only option I found was that ProX lists an 86-92 basket in their catalog but it isn't sold in the US. I found one cheap on eBay in France but some dimensions are different. I'm wondering if I can make it work, or is it totally wrong and I got a mispackaged part.

1-the center hole is 28mm on the pro x and 34mm on the stock basket (easy to fix)
2-the pro x is 4mm taller (there is a thicker section on the back side that could be machined down)
3-the "fingers" for the fiber plates are 32mm deep on the pro x and only 26mm on the stock
If I just get the hole fixed will this work? The YZ plates do fit in the pro x.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

10/23/2017 2:27 PM

You sure you got the right basket? Was there a part number on the box? I don't see one on the basket. I think you got a later model one for 93 plus.

Did you check mitaka out? Aka pro x also for a basket. Say you go through all the trouble of trying to make it fit and it doesn't engage the clutch correctly then what? Your back to where you was.

|

10/23/2017 3:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2017 3:35 PM

Exactly. And returning it to France isn't an option. I'm trying to find someone with a 93 or newer clutch basket to compare measurements.

The only options were the Mitaka on eBay in Europe or MD Racing from the U.K. which is also made by Pro X.

I don't know if it's how they all are or i got one that was labeled wrong. I'm going to do some searching tonight.

|

10/23/2017 8:12 PM

I checked the mitaka UK site no basket is listed for the 92 n older from them.

|

11/8/2017 1:28 PM

What a deal this has turned into....I figured I'd just eliminate any chance of getting it wrong. I ordered the oem yamaha clutch basket (comes together with the primary gear).

Only the Yamaha part matches the Pro X basket....not the oem part that's in my bike. I checked the number 20 times...supposed to be for 86-92 YZ 80. But it isn't...

|

11/14/2017 6:06 AM

Solved the mystery. Some previous owner put a 1980-85 clutch basket in my 87. After looking at lots of parts on eBay and realizing the 86-92 uses 1 more Clutch plate I figured it out. The ProX and Yamaha parts are right.

|

11/14/2017 12:30 PM

Damn it I replied back last week suggested that but it didn't post glad you figured it out. I always thought the bottom ends from 82 on was the same.

My older brother had an 84 for like 2 months coming off a 79. Sold the 84 so fast for this 82 yz100j. I was all about Cr's then.

|

11/14/2017 1:58 PM

Yeah just about everything is the same. They changed very little, but now I know in '86 they went to a little deeper clutch basket to use 6 plates instead of 5 and they changed from angeled gears to straight on the primary gear kogs.

All the parts are interchangeable. I found out guy's use the newer basket in the pre 85 to add a clutch plate. I just don't know why the heck someone put the older basket in the 87.

|