Which twinshock bike to get?

Lasse
Fantasy
2940th
11/1/2020 4:14am
Looking to get a twinshock bike again.

I've previously ridden Husqvarna, but would like to try something else, but which one to go for? Which one has the best spares availability?

Mainly aiming at the Japanese and possibly a CZ. Maicos are out of my pricerange.
|
Murph
11/27/2020 12:49pm
Clearly no-one has any advice to give you, which makes a change, so I would like to offer you my opinion on this. I would suggest a Yamaha. Suzukis are very nice but parts are getting hard to find, Kawis are even worse and Hondas are getting more expensive than Maicos. If I were in your position I would be looking at a 1980/81 YZ250 or 465. Solid reliability and good spares availability.

11/27/2020 7:23pm
I'm with Murph above a '78-'81 air cooled YZ would be a great entry point ! Yamaha have great interchangeability amongst parts and you could easily cobble together a nice vintage ride from YZ and IT pieces. I like them and the orange Can-Am's but I'm in Canada and parts are plenty for those over here. The '76-'80 RM's are pretty sweet, they are pretty simple bikes to work with. It also depends on what deals you come by in your area. The '78-'80 Honda Red Rockets ride really well but the 250's have chrome bore. I don't know much about them and if there's a work around for that short of rechrome of the bore, so I've kept away.
450exc115
11/30/2020 9:30am
Here is my opinion on picking a twin shocker, I've built 3 out of the 4 brands and raced two of them.

Honda 74-77 CRs are old school and can be fun but the 76/77 give it up to the RMs and YZs. The 78-80s are lookers and pretty awesome bikes just be prepared to spend lots of money to get them to perform. Spindly forks, weak shocks and noodles of a swingarm mean spending money on big ticket aftermarket parts.

73-74 Yamaha MX are cool, good motors and similar to everything else in that time frame, The 75-76 MX/YZs mono shocks are cool and are decent. 77-81 every year they got better with everything. Coolest thing about Yamaha's is parts are kicking around and they are like legos in that you can swap some of the stuff through the years with relative ease. I raced a 79 YZ400 and 81 465 and both were great.

TMs are old school and cool, just like everything in the early 70s. Parts are still kicking around but they weren't so awesome that you should go out and hord them. 76-80 RMs are great and parts are still available for most (unless you like the big bores) but they have their issues and need constant attention. I raced a PE (basically a detuned RM) and it was fun but is going to need a bit of help to be competitive in the class I race.

I'm not allowed to race Kawasaki's as I ran a 450 in 2008 and it was constantly breaking. Quality and metals seem to be sub par on them and why you don't see to many out there still in good shape.

So pick your poison. The yamaha is probably the cheapest to race and build with good results but the rest have their merit.

Good luck!

The Shop

bultokid
11/30/2020 11:14am
Really depends on what series/rules you're racing/following. Have been racing vintage since '95 and raced pretty much every brand there is. I have a weak spot for '77 and earlier Buls. If you plan on running AHRMA you can run a Husky twinshock all the way up to the '84 except for the '84 250CR and 400 water-cooled bikes. The net makes it 1000x easier to get parts these days, some really cool stuff coming out of Europe. Pick the one you wanted as a kid and go for it. The comradery and folks at the races are second to none. Main thing is just have fun, the bikes are the stars of the show....Team Bultaco ain't waiting at the finish line with a factory contract. Just remember the same dudes that smoked us at 18 can smoke us at 50....the fast boys are still unbelievably fast
MaxPower
11/30/2020 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2020 4:41pm
bultokid wrote:
Really depends on what series/rules you're racing/following. Have been racing vintage since '95 and raced pretty much every brand there is. I have a weak spot...
Really depends on what series/rules you're racing/following. Have been racing vintage since '95 and raced pretty much every brand there is. I have a weak spot for '77 and earlier Buls. If you plan on running AHRMA you can run a Husky twinshock all the way up to the '84 except for the '84 250CR and 400 water-cooled bikes. The net makes it 1000x easier to get parts these days, some really cool stuff coming out of Europe. Pick the one you wanted as a kid and go for it. The comradery and folks at the races are second to none. Main thing is just have fun, the bikes are the stars of the show....Team Bultaco ain't waiting at the finish line with a factory contract. Just remember the same dudes that smoked us at 18 can smoke us at 50....the fast boys are still unbelievably fast
I agree with you on the statement that fast guys then are fast guys now only to a point from riders I've seen. I find some still fast, but some not as fast as they were. And even more that haven't led a healthy life style that won't dare ride anything but a Harley and now it's time for less talented guys that are fit to have their place up front.
Winning is fun, but the fact I can get behind the gate at 56 and ride still ok is my win.
The only thing is, I don't remember bikes being so tall. I can hardly get my leg over the fender of my KX.
MaxPower
11/30/2020 4:43pm
To answer the main question, myself I'd want a 77 to 80 RM. I really want a 78 RM125 or 79 PE175
bultokid
12/1/2020 9:41am
bultokid wrote:
Really depends on what series/rules you're racing/following. Have been racing vintage since '95 and raced pretty much every brand there is. I have a weak spot...
MaxPower wrote:
I agree with you on the statement that fast guys then are fast guys now only to a point from riders I've seen. I find some...
I agree with you on the statement that fast guys then are fast guys now only to a point from riders I've seen. I find some still fast, but some not as fast as they were. And even more that haven't led a healthy life style that won't dare ride anything but a Harley and now it's time for less talented guys that are fit to have their place up front.
Winning is fun, but the fact I can get behind the gate at 56 and ride still ok is my win.
The only thing is, I don't remember bikes being so tall. I can hardly get my leg over the fender of my KX.
Ha, that's no lie, heck i'm 6'-2" and need a ladder to get onto my Huskys...granted I'm 57 and as flexible as a 2x4 board these days but feel like I'm pulling a groin muscle just getting a leg over them
MaxPower
12/1/2020 5:22pm
bultokid wrote:
Ha, that's no lie, heck i'm 6'-2" and need a ladder to get onto my Huskys...granted I'm 57 and as flexible as a 2x4 board these...
Ha, that's no lie, heck i'm 6'-2" and need a ladder to get onto my Huskys...granted I'm 57 and as flexible as a 2x4 board these days but feel like I'm pulling a groin muscle just getting a leg over them
And Huskys have that tall left side kicker. I went to ride a 90 something Husky 500/600? in practice at Unadilla Rewind. If I liked it I'd be able to race it. When I couldn't start the thing I walked it back and put it on a stand
_X_
12/2/2020 1:31pm
a little late to the party, but if I were you...preferably one with two shocks.
indy_maico
12/3/2020 7:10am
Whatever you do, DON'T get a Maico.

(Parts are getting hard enough to find now without another guy nabbing them!)

Post a reply to: Which twinshock bike to get?

The Latest