Which Bike for Vintage AHRMA CC?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/24/2018 12:34 PM

So I'm getting the itch to race and join my father in racing the AHRMA cross country series. Should I:

Use the 1987 XT350, very noncompetitive bike, I already own and somewhat love, or sell the XT and get a 1979 KLX250 that, while still not all that competitive, appeals very strongly to me?

Which Bike?

View Results

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

7/24/2018 2:12 PM

I'll just state that the KLX250 is a very cool looking bike.

|

7/24/2018 3:30 PM

I’m pretty sure AHRMA CC eligibility ends at ‘83 just like MX so I think your choice is made for you.

|

“Anything that gets your blood pumping is probably worth doing”

Hunter S Thompson

7/24/2018 8:11 PM

Either would be a hoot. Kinda depends on what class you want to ride... The Kawasaki is by far the coolest though.

|

7/25/2018 6:34 AM

newmann wrote:

I'll just state that the KLX250 is a very cool looking bike.

That's one a few reasons why it appeals to me.

I also kinda like the fact its a little more rare than some others.

My father rides an IT200 which is awesome but he is actually competitive.

I was never much of a racer as a kid, but I want to give it another shot and mostly just have some fun with it.

|

7/25/2018 6:35 AM

Kaaden'sTheory wrote:

I’m pretty sure AHRMA CC eligibility ends at ‘83 just like MX so I think your choice is made for you.

I could enter in the pre-modern class with the XT. XT350's from '85-'00 are acceptable as pre-modern entries due to the disc front brake, and monoshock.

|

7/25/2018 6:38 AM

Rocky739 wrote:

Either would be a hoot. Kinda depends on what class you want to ride... The Kawasaki is by far the coolest though.

I totally agree. I think my real problem is that I have a real emotional attachment to the XT that is unwarranted. I've had it for 10 years now and I am going to miss seeing it in the garage.

Then again if there is a KLX250 taking up that garage space I think I'll be able to get over it w00t

|

7/25/2018 8:45 AM

The KLX is a bit of a slow tank. Might consider a KDX instead.

|

7/25/2018 9:57 PM

Kaaden'sTheory wrote:

You are wrong Camel Breath.

https://www.ahrma.org/ahrma_pdfs/Z-2018/Forms/18_Handbook_web.pdf

Go to page 102 and read Rule 15.1.2. Then go back to page 83 and read Rule 12.4.7 AKA "PRE-MODERN".

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

7/28/2018 4:24 PM

Kaaden'sTheory wrote:

Also, see this, hot off the presses,

Photo

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

7/30/2018 8:05 AM

Bad news everyone.

The KLX may be off the table sad

Time to find another interesting bike to obsess over devil

|

8/4/2018 9:00 AM

My Dad had one and I use to race it sometimes. Seriously underpowered but handled pretty good. I believe it was KX125 frame modified for the 4 stroke motor.

|

8/4/2018 7:20 PM

I had a 1980 KLX250 back in 1980. Raced it in the FTR Hare Scrambles series in Florida. It was a great woods weapon...until you needed horsepower. It pumped out a whopping 15 or so ponies stock and maybe got to 18 with a White Brothers header and Super Trapp silencer. The handling in tight woods made up for the lack of engine.

I'd like to have another one day and I wouldn't be afraid to think I could be competitive in AHRMA CC with it.

|

You kids get off my lawn!

2013 KTM450 Factory Edition
Projects......lots of projects!

8/4/2018 8:15 PM

There's the Pre-Modern class ( front disc only )

|

Kevin Windham‏ @kdub_14

Not 1factory racer hasnt been told that if ucan help teammate out, then do it 4 championship. Few r in a position like MM25 #partofthesport

8/8/2018 7:06 PM

MotoTribology wrote:

So I'm getting the itch to race and join my father in racing the AHRMA cross country series. Should I:

Use the 1987 XT350, very noncompetitive bike, I already own and somewhat love, or sell the XT and get a 1979 KLX250 that, while still not all that competitive, appeals very strongly to me?

Neither- Penton

|