FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
10/29/2018 9:42am Edited Date/Time 11/3/2018 11:28am
Maybe five years and many tears from now lol

|
magoo1982
10/29/2018 10:40am
Always liked that look , along with Halm and Tomans 72 trans ama CZs and Heikki s 72 Husky . Shame Ake went to Yam , Probably would have won lot more races on Maico ...
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
10/29/2018 1:24pm
The big GP tank was a pretty nice look on the 72 Ake Trans AMA bike, especially with the switch over to the radials. I was a CZ guy then, in my imagination because I was a kid with no bike and parents with no interest in dropping even a dime on a bike. But a couple of things with friends whose parents who did drop coin in their kids brought fully into the Maico camp

We were all about 14-15 in that 72-73 era, and shortly after the fall Trans AMA a mutual friend the same age got a radial 400 that was absolutely tricked out fully Ake style, complete with the big tank and paint job and whatever Grand Prix Cycles (pre Fox Fox) or Wheelsmith goodies were trickling out. It was like you wanted permission to touch it. We, the remainder of the pedal pushing BMX crowd hated that dude, lol. That bike was so freaking trick.

The other was one of my best friends and peer in speed, constant riding bud for most of the 70's along with another guy. This guy's dad buys him a 73 CZ red tank 250 radial. Now I'm hating that guy, and there's no way I am riding the same brand as that cat (we had a running "wax my spokes" rag on each other that originated with a Dirt Bike column by Pete "CZ" Szilagyi razzing Super Hunkey). So when I saved up my gas station wages I bought a used 73 400 radial. Things were changing pretty quickly with people cutting frames to go long travel, but I've always loved the look of that 72 Ake bike and the pristine replica that dude's pop bought him. So I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for an uncut frame 72 or 73 bike.
Zeke27G
10/30/2018 6:47am
The big GP tank was a pretty nice look on the 72 Ake Trans AMA bike, especially with the switch over to the radials. I was...
The big GP tank was a pretty nice look on the 72 Ake Trans AMA bike, especially with the switch over to the radials. I was a CZ guy then, in my imagination because I was a kid with no bike and parents with no interest in dropping even a dime on a bike. But a couple of things with friends whose parents who did drop coin in their kids brought fully into the Maico camp

We were all about 14-15 in that 72-73 era, and shortly after the fall Trans AMA a mutual friend the same age got a radial 400 that was absolutely tricked out fully Ake style, complete with the big tank and paint job and whatever Grand Prix Cycles (pre Fox Fox) or Wheelsmith goodies were trickling out. It was like you wanted permission to touch it. We, the remainder of the pedal pushing BMX crowd hated that dude, lol. That bike was so freaking trick.

The other was one of my best friends and peer in speed, constant riding bud for most of the 70's along with another guy. This guy's dad buys him a 73 CZ red tank 250 radial. Now I'm hating that guy, and there's no way I am riding the same brand as that cat (we had a running "wax my spokes" rag on each other that originated with a Dirt Bike column by Pete "CZ" Szilagyi razzing Super Hunkey). So when I saved up my gas station wages I bought a used 73 400 radial. Things were changing pretty quickly with people cutting frames to go long travel, but I've always loved the look of that 72 Ake bike and the pristine replica that dude's pop bought him. So I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for an uncut frame 72 or 73 bike.

FTE, I happen to have an un-cut black frame, radial head, '73 CZ400 that I might be willing to part with.

Shoot me a message if you're interested.

Cheers!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
11/3/2018 11:26am Edited Date/Time 11/3/2018 11:28am
Thanks all. Man, a CZ project has been on my mind for years, but next up is a 72-73 Maico for this tank. Just need to find one with the frame unmolested.

Any Maico devotees have knowledge of how interchangeable the square barrel and radial engined frames were before the 74.5 GP?

Post a reply to: We'll see where this leads

The Latest