Vintage Bike Find of a Lifetime - Two Stroke MX History

txjcfsr
Edited Date/Time 1/9/2019 2:11am
I wanted to share with everyone a bike that I found in Europe this year. I was working there and ran across this bike, which I think is very significant to MX history. In 1966 a two stroke won the 500cc World Championship, for the first time. It was a CZ 360 twin pipe ridden by Paul Friederichs. He won the 500cc World Championship for 3 consecutive years, 1966 through 1968, putting the two stroke MX bikes as the dominant force to be reckoned with, for decades.

In 1965, Paul Friederichs finished 2nd in the 500cc World Championship on a prototype CZ 360cc, for the CZ factory team. The factory made 4 of these bikes and they used the 250cc lower end, with a 360cc cylinder, head, piston, etc., and is somewhat difficult to do. The bikes were made in 1964 and 1965 and raced to develop the World Championship 360cc twin pipe for 1966, since there was not a two stroke 500cc mx from the CZ factory.

I was later given a book from Roger DeCoster's 1969 factory CZ mechanic's son, that is 500 pages in length, of all CZ models from 1937 to 1977. I met him at a ECMO vintage race in the Czech Republic this past summer. There is a section in the book for the factory race bikes, and there is a picture that shows 1 of these 4 bikes made to campaign while developing the 500cc class two stroke, the CZ twin pipe 360.

In addition, the son told me of the issues that the bikes had during development of the 360cc twin pipe production model for 1966.

This bike was found in a motorcycle repair shop in Czechoslovakia, many years ago. I purchased it from the person that restored the bike. It is now in Texas, in my collection.

There is also a picture of Joel Robert on 1 of these 4 factory prototype bikes, back in the day. I consider it the find of a lifetime.

I hope you enjoy the story and the pictures. This bike is the prototype of the bikes that changed 500c MX history from 4 strokes to 2 strokes.

|
barnett468
12/16/2018 8:18am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2018 8:19am
Thanks for posting that, it is incredibly cool.

Have you ever ridden it?

Is that your collection in the photos?

txjcfsr
12/16/2018 8:26am
Thank you for the kind words. No, I have not tried to start it, but have kicked it over. The previous owner told me that he started it once, after restoring it.

I raced a twin pipe 360 for 2 years in the AHRMA series. I currently have 4 other twin pipe CZs. I really like those bikes.

No, that is the collection that it came from in Europe, in the background. Part of my collection can be seen at my website http://www.vintagemxbikes.com

Thanks again for the comment. Having the prototype for the two stroke MX bikes that changed the 500cc class history was never in my wildest dreams when I started collecting vintage dirt motorcycles.

speedman
12/17/2018 5:04am
Congratulations, that's pretty amazing, and we can tell how much you appreciate that bike. It's where it belongs.

But I hope you can forgive me for looking right past it in the collection pictures and going, "Whoa!!! A bunch of Ancillottis!!," thinking it was a U.S. collection. If there is a works bike I'd like to have, I think it might be the 1976 Ancillotti 125. Probably the best chassis the Sachs 125 was put in and not a brand sold Stateside AFAIK.
txjcfsr
12/17/2018 9:52am
Speedman, Yes sir, the seller had a lot of cool bikes in his collection. Several full size 50cc race bikes, which used to be a very big deal in Europe. It seems that they then moved the bikes up to 85cc engines, but they were the full size race bikes, really cool bikes. Almost looked like 125 size engines/cylinders, but were the smaller cc 85s. It seems to be a very competitive class in Europe.

He also had several Goris, and took me to meet Mr. Gori at a bike show in Italy. I saw a vintage Gori with a water cooled head on a Sachs engine.

Appreciate the kind words on the factory works CZ. I see that you are in the Houston, TX area. I am from there, as well, I should know you, but do not recognize your name/picture.

Thanks again.

The Shop

newmann
12/17/2018 10:39am
For you, the CZ and Maico nut, that has to be like me finding an RC Honda...Smile Holy grail of all things CZ. Those twin pipers are gorgeous bikes, congrats on the score.
txjcfsr
12/17/2018 10:44am
Yes, indeed...thank you very much.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
12/17/2018 5:14pm
That’s awesome, made my day and I thank you for that. Absolutely love the early era CZ’s and Maico’s. Painted my box bike school bus yellow in 72 ? wanted a CZ, my clsrst buddies had them (one of whom would yell “Falta” at guys into corners on his replica). I ended up on the Maico. Funny that the Husky’s didn’t resonate so much, but I think we were just past Halllman’s artistry and fully in Robert’s peak to eve, so that may explain it. But we worshipped those late 60’s early 70’s. CZ’s
12/19/2018 11:13am
speedman wrote:
Congratulations, that's pretty amazing, and we can tell how much you appreciate that bike. It's where it belongs. But I hope you can forgive me for...
Congratulations, that's pretty amazing, and we can tell how much you appreciate that bike. It's where it belongs.

But I hope you can forgive me for looking right past it in the collection pictures and going, "Whoa!!! A bunch of Ancillottis!!," thinking it was a U.S. collection. If there is a works bike I'd like to have, I think it might be the 1976 Ancillotti 125. Probably the best chassis the Sachs 125 was put in and not a brand sold Stateside AFAIK.
I know where an all original Ancilloti 125 is sitting in a shop. The owner told me it was a 7 speed. It is silver and in excellent condition. I’ll get a pic of it and post it here.
speedman
1/8/2019 5:09pm
@txjcfsr, bumping this to say yeah, am in the Houston area but only now getting a vintage race bike together, slowly. Hope to see that CZ on display sometime this year, and get some gate drops myself--
kxman
1/9/2019 2:11am
In Czech they make new ones in 250 or 360

Post a reply to: Vintage Bike Find of a Lifetime - Two Stroke MX History

The Latest