Very Nice 1979 CR 250 in For Sale/Bazaar section.

7/13/2018 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2018 5:59pm
I have the bike almost disassembled.. one design fluke I noticed is you cant remove the air box for cleaning unless you remove the entire engine!

mike
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/15/2018 7:48pm
Here's a little story about that 76 big bore works Honda. Shortly after the new year 76 into 77 there was a local race at Hollister. The track was up at the GP site, but pretty much was virgin that day in at least a fresh layout. It snaked up and down the hills (not the huge hill later added, but to the east and south a bit, coming back into the main bowl of that track area just about at the base of the hill. At one place it carved around some wooden fence that gave it Sittendorf vibes. Green grass throughout, the California coastal foothills at their finest. Just epic (rubber band start epic, lol). I'm there with my race bud Rich who was riding open pro, then on an RM370 (later to a YZ250 for Hangtown pro day where I "wrenched" for him), and I'm a pretty sad 250 novice on my Ossa GP2.

There were a lot of Norcal fast guys there, including the Fox guys in the new team colorway on Zooks with Simons and airship. There was this little road jump into a corner around a Coastal Oak, and then back to the start. was just awesome, cat jumping that road jump and landing without even seeming like compressing the suspension.

Anyway, as we line up for practice there's some dude across the valley in the practice line on a bright red Honda dolled up in Team Honda gear; Brad getting in on the native Norcal vibe and getting some time on the Honda engine after moving off Husky. Just a pretty cool day to watch stacked pros on a pure motocross track.

End of story is that 250 Novice ran before Open Pro, and Brad was lined up right behind me to gate next for his moto. I got my first hole shot, ducking under a guy went in hot, came around the 180 and dropped into an off camber... where I promptly jumped on my brakes with the force of a ten ton elephant and washed out in from of 30+ 250 novices. But...I can say that I roosted on Brad Lackey. True story.

Great day at the races, great era and place to be a part of.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/15/2018 7:49pm
I have the bike almost disassembled.. one design fluke I noticed is you cant remove the air box for cleaning unless you remove the entire engine...
I have the bike almost disassembled.. one design fluke I noticed is you cant remove the air box for cleaning unless you remove the entire engine!

mike
It's that "works experience," since you're breaking it down to the frame every week box vanning from round to round.
7/16/2018 12:32am
I have seen a few guys running a modern MotoTassinari VForce reed valve on their 78-79's. The MotoTassinari website says it only fits 1986 and later piston port CR250 engines.

Does anyone know how people are making them fit/ work on the 1979? I would be surprised to hear that a 2001 valve is a direct bolt on for a 1979.

mike

The Shop

7/16/2018 1:58am
Thanks SwatDoc.. amazing that it bolts right on. Is that the 1979 carb boot you are using?

Can you remind me what paint you used on the engine?.. looks like you used a flattening agent. I have been experimenting with different paints (each one is a different shade of Tahitian red Sad ) and different clears.. matte, flat, satin to obtain the flat finish.

mike
7/16/2018 3:59am Edited Date/Time 7/16/2018 4:02am
In my research, I have found a few guys that put modified 1981 Pro Link swing-arms on their 1979. Seems like it would be a big improvement. I like the way this guy modified his to look like an HRC swingarm, but I bet it is even much stronger than the factory original. What are your thoughts on this mod?

I also like his black painted carb!!
8/7/2018 3:22pm
Here's a little story about that 76 big bore works Honda. Shortly after the new year 76 into 77 there was a local race at Hollister...
Here's a little story about that 76 big bore works Honda. Shortly after the new year 76 into 77 there was a local race at Hollister. The track was up at the GP site, but pretty much was virgin that day in at least a fresh layout. It snaked up and down the hills (not the huge hill later added, but to the east and south a bit, coming back into the main bowl of that track area just about at the base of the hill. At one place it carved around some wooden fence that gave it Sittendorf vibes. Green grass throughout, the California coastal foothills at their finest. Just epic (rubber band start epic, lol). I'm there with my race bud Rich who was riding open pro, then on an RM370 (later to a YZ250 for Hangtown pro day where I "wrenched" for him), and I'm a pretty sad 250 novice on my Ossa GP2.

There were a lot of Norcal fast guys there, including the Fox guys in the new team colorway on Zooks with Simons and airship. There was this little road jump into a corner around a Coastal Oak, and then back to the start. was just awesome, cat jumping that road jump and landing without even seeming like compressing the suspension.

Anyway, as we line up for practice there's some dude across the valley in the practice line on a bright red Honda dolled up in Team Honda gear; Brad getting in on the native Norcal vibe and getting some time on the Honda engine after moving off Husky. Just a pretty cool day to watch stacked pros on a pure motocross track.

End of story is that 250 Novice ran before Open Pro, and Brad was lined up right behind me to gate next for his moto. I got my first hole shot, ducking under a guy went in hot, came around the 180 and dropped into an off camber... where I promptly jumped on my brakes with the force of a ten ton elephant and washed out in from of 30+ 250 novices. But...I can say that I roosted on Brad Lackey. True story.

Great day at the races, great era and place to be a part of.
Those were the days when sighting a true works bike was like catching a glimpse of sasquatch or a UFO. In hindsight, I don't think so now, but back in the day, you would have thought these bikes could have come from NASA. It just added an element of coolness to the sport.
8/12/2018 1:56pm
Hey Guys, will a real 1977-78 RC aluminum swingarm fit the frame of an OEM 1979 CR250 or was the RC frame completely different dimensions? I am worried about the width at the swing arm pivot. Joe most likely knows.
PK97
8/12/2018 3:06pm
Mike,
Curious question, do you have a lead on one?? I hope your source has two!!!
PK97
8/12/2018 3:18pm
I think the bike Scott at Vintage Factory built that was on his website was with a real RC arm
8/12/2018 9:41pm
So Scott's bike was using an OEM frame PK97? Not sure if I have seen it. I found one but not in my hand yet.
PK97
8/13/2018 10:22am
These are pictures of the bike Scott built for someone. I emailed him a few years ago asking about the parts he used, and he told me the tank and arm were genuine RC parts.

8/13/2018 1:44pm
Thanks PK67.. the lower shock mount on that arm looks funny.. different than the 77-78 HRC 250 and 500 arms I have been looking at for the last 4 hours as I try to figure out the arm I am looking to buy. Here is the swing arm I am looking at.. genuine HRC but I noticed how close the axle slot is to the lower shock mount.. it looks like a shorter arm for an RC125 is my best guess and wouldn't work well on our 250s. He also has the fuel tank, hubs, and sand cast magnesium carb from an RC500, but I don't think the swing arm is from an RC500. Anyone want to take a guess what this RC swingarm is off of?

8/13/2018 3:25pm
I was all ready to push the Paypal button when I noticed how short the arm is after the shock mount. I am pretty sure at this point that is an RC125 arm.. nothing I can do with that and not too many people building a 78 or 79 RC125.

There is about an inch missing behind the shock mount compared to an RC250 arm.
8/14/2018 5:29pm
I got the measurements of the HRC swing arm and I am now convinced it is a RC125 swing arm. Here are the measurements vs an OEM swing arm;
HRC - OEM
swing axle to shock absorber receptacle 405mm – 390
swing axle to mid rear axle 500mm – 535mm
Frame width 200mm – 185mm

It is much shorter than a 250 swing arm and the lower shock mount is much further back on the swingarm, which was typical of the 125’s of that period.

Nevertheless, the swing arm is too short for 250s and 500s and I have decided to pass on it. Too bad.. I was pretty excited about the find for a minute there. If anyone is interested in it for their 125 build, I am happy to forward the seller's info.

mike
newmann
8/14/2018 6:04pm
I got the measurements of the HRC swing arm and I am now convinced it is a RC125 swing arm. Here are the measurements vs an...
I got the measurements of the HRC swing arm and I am now convinced it is a RC125 swing arm. Here are the measurements vs an OEM swing arm;
HRC - OEM
swing axle to shock absorber receptacle 405mm – 390
swing axle to mid rear axle 500mm – 535mm
Frame width 200mm – 185mm

It is much shorter than a 250 swing arm and the lower shock mount is much further back on the swingarm, which was typical of the 125’s of that period.

Nevertheless, the swing arm is too short for 250s and 500s and I have decided to pass on it. Too bad.. I was pretty excited about the find for a minute there. If anyone is interested in it for their 125 build, I am happy to forward the seller's info.

mike
I just PM'd you measurements of the 78 RC500 arm. The 78 does not use a brake stay arm, instead a lug welded to the arm with a special cast backing plate that slides in place. Width at the pivot is right at 200mm. Pivot to lower shock mount 400mm, pivot to center of rear axle slot is 550 mm. Width between axle plates is roughly 235 with the wheel tight in place.
newmann
8/14/2018 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2018 6:17pm
Also you were asking about the dark gray metallic handlebar color in the other thread. The original unrestored bars on my 78 RC are the same as on the Lackey RC. Original grips with safety wire even...

My guess would be it is identical to the background color on the 1975 CR125M number plates.

newmann
8/14/2018 6:30pm
A set of stock 1980 CR250 bars I picked off of a super low hour rolling chassis. A little rubbing compound brings the metallic gray back to life.

8/14/2018 11:10pm
Many thanks Joe! really helpful. I am convinced it is an RC125 swing arm.. it is 50mm shorter than your RC500 arm. Too bad.. it looked in very nice shape.
8/15/2018 12:08am
Here is the picture of the OEM handlebars.. they are straight as an arrow, just some chips from someone using uncovered steel tie down end. They are original to the bike. Definitely a dark grey metallic which someone might mistake for black until they looked closely.

The frame paint is original and the more I think of it, it would be a shame to cover it up even if there are a few rock chips here and there. The spark plug is what I used when I painted the cylinder head with RAL3020 Traffic red. Irt looks very close to the original OEM color but when viewed with the naked eye is slightly more red/ darker and flatter in color.

PK97
8/15/2018 11:10am
That was a nice find on the swingarm Mike, even though it is for a 125, will make someones bike super trick., I can't believe Newmann hasn't snatched it up for a future build project!
newmann
8/15/2018 1:08pm
PK97 wrote:
That was a nice find on the swingarm Mike, even though it is for a 125, will make someones bike super trick., I can't believe Newmann...
That was a nice find on the swingarm Mike, even though it is for a 125, will make someones bike super trick., I can't believe Newmann hasn't snatched it up for a future build project!
I just bought that Mugen replica arm for a 250 build I don't have planned (or a core bike for) from one of you guys on here. I'll never have enough time to build half the projects I think I need.

Post a reply to: Very Nice 1979 CR 250 in For Sale/Bazaar section.

The Latest