Very Nice 1979 CR 250 in For Sale/Bazaar section.

ledger
Edited Date/Time 8/15/2018 1:08pm
Not mine, seller says all original with title. Extremely nice bike and good price in my opinion. Just wanted to let you guys know.
|
6/12/2018 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2018 3:36pm
ledger wrote:
Not mine, seller says all original with title. Extremely nice bike and good price in my opinion. Just wanted to let you guys know.
I bought it last night.. looks like it was trail ridden a few times then put away in a warm dry place. Tires are original with plenty of meet and no dry rot. Fuel tank doesn't have a single dent or scratch and paint looks like new, just as does the seat. All the parts 100% there and perfect condition. The original levers and grips indicate it never saw a crash and as a tight as the day it was bought.. will clean up very nice.

I have some VMX parts questions, though..

I raced the same bike in 1979 and put on Fox Air Shox immediately. These bikes needed new shocks off the dealer's showroom floor so looking for new shocks asap, but not thinking off trying to fix up an old pair of leaky Fox Air Shox. Who makes the best new spring shock these days now that Works Performance went out of business recently... Is it Olins, YSS, or Noleen? The Progressive suspension shocks looked a little cheap.

Who makes the best quality replica fenders; Maier, VMX, or DC?

Anyone make a fork internal cartridge upgrade for the stock forks? Simons forks would be nice, but I hear that the OEM 1983 CR480 forks make a nice swap in upgrade?

Thanks,
mike
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
6/12/2018 3:41pm
VMX on the plastic. 43's with gold valves or a later Showa cartridge fork internals the baseline improvement on forks. Don't discount vintage ohlins or fox factory springs for shocks if you can find a reasonably priced set. Newmann has some shocks, Race Tech I think, that are current builds for vintage. $$$$ I think.
newmann
6/12/2018 4:31pm
Those piggyback Race Techs probably retail for $1500.00 a set. I have a set of the non reservoir ones for my 74 CR250, pretty amazing stuff. The piggyback Pro Racer Works Performance shocks on our 79 CR125 are really nice as well but also were in the $1200.00 range 8 years ago.

Like FTE mentioned, with a bushing fabricated, the 1987 upper legs and cartridge internals can be fitted into a set of 1983 lower legs which mate up to the drum brake with no modifications. By now, Race Tech should be up on that mod.

DC plastics are dull and grainy, VMX glossy and slick. DC has plenty of other stuff on their site to rummage through though! Great group to work with for custom stuff too. Good stock and fast shipping.

The Shop

6/12/2018 8:31pm
Many thanks guys.. I will pick up a VMX front and rear fender which have slight fading and probably can be restored.. the 3 number plates look brand new still. Next to nothing needs to be rebuilt or repainted on this thing, just cleaned up. Thanks for the tip on the Race Tech shocks.. didn't know about them. I like their piggy back shocks $1400 which are about the same price as the Olins. The Noleens look dam nice, too and a bit cheaper. I never skimp on suspension. On the forks, I am thinking of doing a set of 43mm rebuildable cartridge units off a CR480 with StevieD's triple clamps. A 1977 RC500 clone might be a fun build.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
6/12/2018 9:06pm
Many thanks guys.. I will pick up a VMX front and rear fender which have slight fading and probably can be restored.. the 3 number plates...
Many thanks guys.. I will pick up a VMX front and rear fender which have slight fading and probably can be restored.. the 3 number plates look brand new still. Next to nothing needs to be rebuilt or repainted on this thing, just cleaned up. Thanks for the tip on the Race Tech shocks.. didn't know about them. I like their piggy back shocks $1400 which are about the same price as the Olins. The Noleens look dam nice, too and a bit cheaper. I never skimp on suspension. On the forks, I am thinking of doing a set of 43mm rebuildable cartridge units off a CR480 with StevieD's triple clamps. A 1977 RC500 clone might be a fun build.
ledger
6/12/2018 10:27pm
ledger wrote:
I bought it last night.. looks like it was trail ridden a few times then put away in a warm dry place. Tires are original with...
I bought it last night.. looks like it was trail ridden a few times then put away in a warm dry place. Tires are original with plenty of meet and no dry rot. Fuel tank doesn't have a single dent or scratch and paint looks like new, just as does the seat. All the parts 100% there and perfect condition. The original levers and grips indicate it never saw a crash and as a tight as the day it was bought.. will clean up very nice.

I raced the same bike in 1979 and put on Fox Air Shox immediately. These bikes needed new shocks off the dealer's showroom floor so looking for new shocks asap, but not thinking off trying to fix up an old pair of leaky Fox Air Shox. Who makes the best new spring shock these days now that Works Performance went out of business recently... Is it Olins, YSS, or Noleen? The Progressive suspension shocks looked a little cheap.

Anyone make a fork internal cartridge upgrade for the stock forks? Simons forks would be nice, but I hear that the OEM 1983 CR480 forks make a nice swap in upgrade?

Thanks,
mike
Awesome you purchased that bike !! If I hadn't bought my 79 CR three weeks ago, I would have purchased a plane ticket for that one. I checked the Bazaar section and saw that it wasn't listed... thought the guy changed his mind about selling it. You got yourself a time capsule, lol, but honestly that is the most original 79 I've ever seen. The shifter and kick starter alone would bring enough $$ to pay a months mortgage...or close anyway. So cool that you scored that bike.
ledger
6/12/2018 10:33pm
VMX for plastics hands down and DC for a few goodies also, especially their period correct fender decals.
6/13/2018 7:27am
ledger wrote:
I bought it last night.. looks like it was trail ridden a few times then put away in a warm dry place. Tires are original with...

Thanks,
mike
ledger wrote:
Awesome you purchased that bike !! If I hadn't bought my 79 CR three weeks ago, I would have purchased a plane ticket for that one...
Awesome you purchased that bike !! If I hadn't bought my 79 CR three weeks ago, I would have purchased a plane ticket for that one. I checked the Bazaar section and saw that it wasn't listed... thought the guy changed his mind about selling it. You got yourself a time capsule, lol, but honestly that is the most original 79 I've ever seen. The shifter and kick starter alone would bring enough $$ to pay a months mortgage...or close anyway. So cool that you scored that bike.
I wasn't planning on buying another project bike, but I saw it was in amazing original shape at a good price quite close to me, so I felt I had to move since it was one of my all time favorite bikes. He did have another gem in his stable for sale.. a museum perfect 1976 YZ250C. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to provide his contact info.

6/13/2018 7:51am
Hi Guys.. I have a few more technical questions for you as I ponder the direction I want to take with the bike.

I did a lot of research last night to understand the 1986 CR 250/ 1987 CR125 cartridge forks with the 1983 CR480 lowers to use the drum brakes. The question I have is whether the 1983 43mm fork lowers use a different axle diameter than the 1979 front axle which would cause me to have to change to a later model wheel hub?

Anyone know which piggy back shocks work on the 1979 CR250 without hitting the silencer?

Any experience with the YSS shocks?.. their US HQs is located just 30 min for me and I read that it is the shock of choice for the top European vintage racers.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
6/13/2018 8:20am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 11:40am
I can't recall if the axle length is different, but the diameter is the same. Pretty common for people to run the 82-83 front wheel.

I think you'll want to look for an 80 silencer, or something with the same dimensions from the pipe to silencer body, if you are running piggy backs. The HollyEquipment guys have aluminum 78-79 and a different one for the 1980 to accommodate the piggyback reservoir.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
6/13/2018 8:55am
I don’t have much information to contribute but wanted to say that I’ve got Noleen shocks on my 75 kx and they’re great!
newmann
6/13/2018 9:29am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 9:31am
I had to lengthen the stinger going into the silencer and shorten the front of the housing to put the Pro- Racers on our 79 CR125. Can't remember modding anything on our 80 model 125 for the Ohlins.

6/13/2018 11:02am
Hi Guys.. I have a few more technical questions for you as I ponder the direction I want to take with the bike. I did a...
Hi Guys.. I have a few more technical questions for you as I ponder the direction I want to take with the bike.

I did a lot of research last night to understand the 1986 CR 250/ 1987 CR125 cartridge forks with the 1983 CR480 lowers to use the drum brakes. The question I have is whether the 1983 43mm fork lowers use a different axle diameter than the 1979 front axle which would cause me to have to change to a later model wheel hub?

Anyone know which piggy back shocks work on the 1979 CR250 without hitting the silencer?

Any experience with the YSS shocks?.. their US HQs is located just 30 min for me and I read that it is the shock of choice for the top European vintage racers.
The 86-88 cartridge forks are agreat up grade (87's are best of the 3 if you wanna get really picky). We cut the disc mounts off and weld a brake lug on. (Done quite a few for you US guys now!) If you are going to use the 83 hub/brake, you can use the later larger 17mm axle that goes with the forks aswell with a little bit if fettling... (Top secret factory PDE mod.... ?)

Personally on 79's I like to keep the shocks non-piggy back and the short silencer set up. It just looks "right". Plus for 15min races... They ain't gonna be fading. We'll be using Race-Techs for our own builds from now on. (Both non-piggy and piggy back).

if you have any questions about the Rockets, IG or FB me and I'll help where ever I can.

Stevie
Frank
6/13/2018 4:23pm
I did a complete 100% 1979 restore. After completion I decided to leave it 100% showroom stock since I have zero interest riding/racing it after working on it for 5 years.

I have a set of fully rebuilt Fox Air Shocks in near mint condition. Zero use after all new seals, oil, decals. They are near mint/new. I have $1200 into them. You can have them for that. Text me at (608) 556-5877 and I will send you pics if you are interested. Also have a new KLP swingarm w/bearings, new DG pipe & silencer, etc for the 78-80 CR250
PK97
6/13/2018 4:54pm
Frank,

Are you selling the swing arm. I would be interested

PK
6/13/2018 4:56pm
Frank wrote:
I did a complete 100% 1979 restore. After completion I decided to leave it 100% showroom stock since I have zero interest riding/racing it after working...
I did a complete 100% 1979 restore. After completion I decided to leave it 100% showroom stock since I have zero interest riding/racing it after working on it for 5 years.

I have a set of fully rebuilt Fox Air Shocks in near mint condition. Zero use after all new seals, oil, decals. They are near mint/new. I have $1200 into them. You can have them for that. Text me at (608) 556-5877 and I will send you pics if you are interested. Also have a new KLP swingarm w/bearings, new DG pipe & silencer, etc for the 78-80 CR250
Hi Frank.. will text you right now.
6/13/2018 4:57pm
PK97 wrote:
Frank,

PK
hey.. get in line PK Smile
6/13/2018 5:21pm
Hi Guys.. I have a few more technical questions for you as I ponder the direction I want to take with the bike. I did a...

StevieD113 wrote:
The 86-88 cartridge forks are agreat up grade (87's are best of the 3 if you wanna get really picky). We cut the disc mounts off...
The 86-88 cartridge forks are agreat up grade (87's are best of the 3 if you wanna get really picky). We cut the disc mounts off and weld a brake lug on. (Done quite a few for you US guys now!) If you are going to use the 83 hub/brake, you can use the later larger 17mm axle that goes with the forks aswell with a little bit if fettling... (Top secret factory PDE mod.... ?)

Personally on 79's I like to keep the shocks non-piggy back and the short silencer set up. It just looks "right". Plus for 15min races... They ain't gonna be fading. We'll be using Race-Techs for our own builds from now on. (Both non-piggy and piggy back).

if you have any questions about the Rockets, IG or FB me and I'll help where ever I can.

Stevie
Hey Stevie! You will probably be hearing from me soon on an order for this new unexpected project, just as soon as I figure out how far I want to take it. As I spend a little time with this bike, I feel I should retains as many of the mint original parts as possible. It doesn't look like a wrench was ever taken to the front or rear axle nut or the wheels ever removed in its short active life. I just drained the trans oil and again no sign that drain plug had ever been removed. The oil that came out was as clean as the day it was put in (probably at the factory).

The rear shocks will absolutely go as I have no nostalgia for that junk that Honda just used to hold up the back of the bike in the showroom.. They were non functional and I remember the day I bought my first 79CR250 in 1979.. I went straight rom the dealer to the track to ride the last 30 min before the track closed just so excited to test the bike. I was till in jeans and work boots and I blew the rear shocks in the first 3 laps.. oil all over the swing arm. I bought a new pair of Fox Air shocks the next day. Aside from that, I can fix all the less serious flaws to ride a few Vintage MX races at Unadilla and Southwick.. the swing arm and forks both flex like a wet noodle, and the forks, while better than the rear shocks, were way too soft and no stiffer option springs for those forks, so people have no choice but to add air to help the wimpy springs. The motor and rest of the chassis were spot on for the day, though.

So I am now deciding between the a few simple mods like the rear shocks and a few other items (HRC replica parts from PDE) that can easily be reversed back to stock while making it look like the 1977 RC500 below, or seriously fixing the flaws of the swing arm and suspension and doing some more serious VMX.

Stevie, the RC500 in the pic above has piggy back reservoirs on the rear shocks, that was where I was coming from.

mike
6/13/2018 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 7:05pm
I can't recall if the axle length is different, but the diameter is the same. Pretty common for people to run the 82-83 front wheel. I...
I can't recall if the axle length is different, but the diameter is the same. Pretty common for people to run the 82-83 front wheel.

I think you'll want to look for an 80 silencer, or something with the same dimensions from the pipe to silencer body, if you are running piggy backs. The HollyEquipment guys have aluminum 78-79 and a different one for the 1980 to accommodate the piggyback reservoir.
Thanks FTE.. I know Holly (Horiguchi-san) from Japan.. will see what he has got. He is a cool guy.

On the VMX Racing plastic, on their site it says the red of their plastic is different from the Tahitian red Honda used and they sell both the Tahitian red paint as well as another red paint to match their red plastic.

Now that I know that, I am thinking of sending the original fenders to a plastic restoration shop since they only have a few light scratches and minor fading.

mike
newmann
6/13/2018 6:25pm
The color of the VMX plastic really isn’t all that far off from original. More that the original has a different sheen on it than the slick glossy new plastic. VMX side panels here on the RC500 with original front and rear fenders. It’s passable unless you are going to get really anal over it.

6/13/2018 7:22pm
PK97 wrote:
Frank,

PK
hey.. get in line PK Smile
Hi PK.. the KLP swingarm that Frank has is the Mugen type.. I am looking for the HRC type with the weld down the side, so feel free to go for it, buddy.

mike
6/13/2018 7:28pm
newmann wrote:
The color of the VMX plastic really isn’t all that far off from original. More that the original has a different sheen on it than the...
The color of the VMX plastic really isn’t all that far off from original. More that the original has a different sheen on it than the slick glossy new plastic. VMX side panels here on the RC500 with original front and rear fenders. It’s passable unless you are going to get really anal over it.

Thanks.. that VMX color is not bad at all. Not sure why they felt the need to recreate their own frame paint color. I will put them on until I have time to restore the originals.

Is that your RC500, I vaguely recall that you had 2 RC bikes? She is a beauty. Which rider's bike was it or is done from parts? Any more pics of that beauty?
PK97
6/13/2018 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 7:59pm
Mike,

Thanks but you and I are looking for the same arm, and I was hoping that was what he had. Sounds like we are doing the same type of build which is like what swatdoc built.

Pk
6/13/2018 8:15pm
PK97 wrote:
Mike, Thanks but you and I are looking for the same arm, and I was hoping that was what he had. Sounds like we are doing...
Mike,

Thanks but you and I are looking for the same arm, and I was hoping that was what he had. Sounds like we are doing the same type of build which is like what swatdoc built.

Pk
Yes, the one that Swatdoc used for his 480 project. That is even harder to find than the bent style that Frank has, I imagine. I guess KLP used to build several styles for this model bike.
swatdoc
6/13/2018 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 10:39pm
I had Stevie do the forks on my '79. Interestingly enough, modern XR650L forks are almost identical clones of the '87 CR forks, internally. On the outside they are just like the '83 forks, except they have disc brake lugs. Send them to Stevie to have the disc lugs cut off, and a drum brake lug welded on. Just search Ebay and find a brand new pair of XL forks from a new bike they're breakng down - should pay about $400 brand new. Stevie will then machine an '83 front dual shoe backing plate to use the new modern larger front axle. Finally, a gold valve setup from Race Tech.

I have one of Karl's RC replica swingarms on my 250 as well (actually have three of them). They look really nice.

Here's a post I did a while back with a little more info on the fork setup:
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/New-Old-Forks-by-Phil…
6/13/2018 10:40pm
That is a cool build SwatDoc.. thanks for the info. That is the very swingarm I prefer. Is Karl back in business?

What pipe and silencer is that? Where did you get the RC decal?? Do you have a pic of the other side of the bike?

mike
swatdoc
6/13/2018 11:01pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 11:02pm
Thanks Mike - in the pic is a DG pipe with Holly silencer. I have a Holly pipe now, which I'll switch to when I get to work on my bike next. The RC decal was from Scott Steger at Vintage Factory. I have assorted pics of the bike in various stages, is there something specific you'd like to see?

Karl should hopefully be back up and running soon, based on some posts I've read
6/13/2018 11:35pm
swatdoc wrote:
Thanks Mike - in the pic is a DG pipe with Holly silencer. I have a Holly pipe now, which I'll switch to when I get...
Thanks Mike - in the pic is a DG pipe with Holly silencer. I have a Holly pipe now, which I'll switch to when I get to work on my bike next. The RC decal was from Scott Steger at Vintage Factory. I have assorted pics of the bike in various stages, is there something specific you'd like to see?

Karl should hopefully be back up and running soon, based on some posts I've read
Hi Swatdoc.. I will definitely need to talk to Holly then. What I am looking for is what parts you used that made an RC look like an RC. I remember as a kid attending the AMA nationals.. at Southwick, we would slip into the Pro pits by sneaking through the woods in the back. There were no fences surrounding the pits in those days. When I saw the RC's, I noted the white gas cap and more bulbous fuel tank, the weld on the sides of the swing arm, the billet aluminum head stay/ engine mounts, the aluminum torque arm with the heim joints, the drilled/ lightened parts. Thsi are the things I would consider recreating. A shot of the other side and a good shot of the engine mounts would be great.

mike
ledger
6/14/2018 6:40am
Tokyo T, post a few pics of your new ride if you don't mind, I'd like to see it again. Thanks.

Post a reply to: Very Nice 1979 CR 250 in For Sale/Bazaar section.

The Latest