Vapor Blasting

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2017 2:40 PM

Does anyone have first hand experience with Vapor Blasting? I have heard that it is very good with restoring plastic tanks. Was considering it for my YZ100.

|

Mike

689

Thanks to all the people that have not beaten me to death yet!

12/13/2017 3:13 PM

Check out KE3 Restoration on Facebook or Instagram only charges like $50 hr

|

12/14/2017 7:35 AM

Thanks!

|

Mike

689

Thanks to all the people that have not beaten me to death yet!

12/14/2017 6:43 PM

Restocycle does a great job at a very fair price. Part to include carb look like new

|

12/15/2017 11:08 AM

Vapor blasting will not work that great on plastic. I have one. It cleans it really well but does not polish it or bring a shine back like the tank restorer's do. It works miracles on metals, plastic not so much

|

Old Vintage Gold Rules

12/17/2017 1:40 PM

Ardfarkl wrote:

Does anyone have first hand experience with Vapor Blasting? I have heard that it is very good with restoring plastic tanks. Was considering it for my YZ100.

This is the process you'll have to go through. There's no short cut, no magic product. Just the materials you see in this video, and lots of time and patience. One of those "you get out of it what you put into it" things

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

12/17/2017 6:05 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies. Does it make a difference if I am just looking for a good looking tank on my racer and not a garage queen?

|

Mike

689

Thanks to all the people that have not beaten me to death yet!

12/18/2017 1:20 AM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

This is the process you'll have to go through. There's no short cut, no magic product. Just the materials you see in this video, and lots of time and patience. One of those "you get out of it what you put into it" things

So that guy isn't using any compound or polish on that mop? Just dry?

|

12/18/2017 1:36 AM

F150motocrosser is right. it's not hard. Just your time and efforr. Used an orbital sander for 95% of mine. . Rather than source discs for the sander in the finer grits I left an old pad on and cut the appropriate size discs from square sheets and spray glued them to a worn velcro disc.
The final buff was done with regular buffing wheel from a bench grinder on a arbor (from Lowes) on SLOW speed in a cordless drill.
On the first few rough grits I was sure I ruined my tank. I kept the faith and sure enough it came out Aces 10

|

12/18/2017 7:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/18/2017 7:55 AM

Robgvx wrote:

So that guy isn't using any compound or polish on that mop? Just dry?

Yup. If you've done your sanding correctly and ended with a very fine wet sand, you shouldn't need any more compounds (in fact, it would be a step backwards).. The dry wool bonnet on the drill creates enough friction/heat to give the plastic a pop of high sheen polish. Careful to not go too fast or stay in one position too long. May be best to practice your technique on a spare plastic first.

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

12/18/2017 8:32 AM

Is there a good restorer? I am the guy that will kill the tank for sure. Great with metal, softer material not so much.

|

Mike

689

Thanks to all the people that have not beaten me to death yet!

12/18/2017 9:54 AM

My local shop got a Vapor Blasting setup and they did the cylinder and bottom end on a CR I was restoring. It looked incredible. So much show they took it to a bike show as an example to try to drum up business for themselves.

Photo


Photo

|

12/19/2017 4:56 AM

Ardfarkl wrote:

Is there a good restorer? I am the guy that will kill the tank for sure. Great with metal, softer material not so much.

Jeff Denis did a great job on mine at a reasonable price. Contact info: jeff@jdsracing.com

|

12/21/2017 6:52 PM

Im in southern ca. And will be getting my vapor blaster set up after the new years .... vital members will get the good guy deal

|

12/21/2017 7:56 PM

kxpete wrote:

Im in southern ca. And will be getting my vapor blaster set up after the new years .... vital members will get the good guy deal

I went the soda blasting route. Not impressed with my results. What does it take to set up a vapor blast set up? I may be your first customer!

|

12/22/2017 10:55 AM

Vaporblasters start @ $4500 and that does not include the nice compressor with a minimum of 17 CFM. I've been running the Snot out of mine for about a year now.
They do Amazing work on Aluminium and metals but basically just cleans plastic Photo

Photo

Photo

|

Old Vintage Gold Rules