Value on vintage bikes

wfo4ever
11/11/2018 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2018 6:41pm
I have a very nice 1974 Honda CR-250M Elsinore. I am wondering if i should try to sell it now or just hang onto it. I know it is a very desirable motorcycle to have and collect. I love just looking at it as it is way too nice to ride. It should be in a museum or a private collection. Just wondering how the vintage market is doing these days. We old farts are not getting any younger.
|
barnett468
11/11/2018 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2018 8:29pm
Nobody can predict the future, but overall the value of many collectible things goes up over the years. If you like it and don't need the money or the space, why would you consider selling it?

Post a photo of it.

MaxPower
11/11/2018 9:44pm
no such thing as a bike too nice to tide
It's not like it will be worth 30k in your life time
Stick numbers on it and go racing
PN27416
11/12/2018 9:59am
If you don't need the money and enjoy it? Keep it.

The Shop

11/12/2018 5:48pm
MaxPower wrote:
no such thing as a bike too nice to tide It's not like it will be worth 30k in your life time Stick numbers on it...
no such thing as a bike too nice to tide
It's not like it will be worth 30k in your life time
Stick numbers on it and go racing
Well said Max...my ‘86 Honda CR-250 is nice to look at, but WAY more fun to ride!
billyslad
11/12/2018 11:17pm
Hear hear
A lot of money and time can go into a proper restoration that will not be recouped at sale time
These bikes were made to be ridden so get some value back in the fun of riding your bike
Talisker
11/13/2018 1:06am
Not sure if you restored it yourself. Sometimes people have a lot of time, money, and sentimental value tied up in a bike or project. This will always make the bike not enjoyable for you to ride. I speak from experience on a bike i had 15 years ago. Sell it, wipe the slate clean, buy something that you are not heavily invested in and just ride it. Thats what i did.... and thats why i no longer bling out or heavily modify my bikes any longer.
Only wearables get replaced and a pipe.
11/15/2018 3:22pm
Hard to believe some of the values placed on bikes listed there. They did not have much advice on this one, most did not even know what it was. Tire kickers and chizzlers.
sandman768
11/16/2018 12:53pm
I just requested to join the vintage price page....I have a bike I will be selling soon...I have a # in my head but curious to see where the experts come in at. I was a licensed auto adjuster & appraiser for 20 years, it appears this may be a market survey type of valuation method, the more people add to their database of bought & sold bikes, will give them data to use for their values. As far as overall values on vintage bikes....a lot of factors ....good vintage series locally can drive up some prices, good/bad economy will effect discretionary spending....the make/model/condition always effects price...I sold a very nice 1979 yz400 this spring for 3500.00... I had it for sale on & off for 2 years, just needed the right guy to come along & rekindle his youth.....
barnett468
11/16/2018 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2018 4:00pm
sandman768 wrote:
I just requested to join the vintage price page....I have a bike I will be selling soon...I have a # in my head but curious to...
I just requested to join the vintage price page....I have a bike I will be selling soon...I have a # in my head but curious to see where the experts come in at. I was a licensed auto adjuster & appraiser for 20 years, it appears this may be a market survey type of valuation method, the more people add to their database of bought & sold bikes, will give them data to use for their values. As far as overall values on vintage bikes....a lot of factors ....good vintage series locally can drive up some prices, good/bad economy will effect discretionary spending....the make/model/condition always effects price...I sold a very nice 1979 yz400 this spring for 3500.00... I had it for sale on & off for 2 years, just needed the right guy to come along & rekindle his youth.....
can't give you a guestimate without knowing what the bike is and condition and possibly photos etc. $3500.00 is probably the highest anyone ever paid by far for a 79 yz400.
sandman768
11/16/2018 6:04pm
sandman768 wrote:
I just requested to join the vintage price page....I have a bike I will be selling soon...I have a # in my head but curious to...
barnett468 wrote:
can't give you a guestimate without knowing what the bike is and condition and possibly photos etc. $3500.00 is probably the highest anyone ever paid by...
can't give you a guestimate without knowing what the bike is and condition and possibly photos etc. $3500.00 is probably the highest anyone ever paid by far for a 79 yz400.
I have restored many bikes over the years, some I just make riders, some I bring back to NOS 100%... If you have ever done a full NOS restoration then you know 3500.00 is very reasonable. My 79 YZ 400 was a full on NOS restoration, the new owner was ecstatic with his purchase after looking at nothing but junk for months....
barnett468
11/16/2018 7:01pm
sandman768 wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
can't give you a guestimate without knowing what the bike is and condition and possibly photos etc. $3500.00 is probably the highest anyone ever paid by...
sandman768 wrote:
I have restored many bikes over the years, some I just make riders, some I bring back to NOS 100%... If you have ever done a...
I have restored many bikes over the years, some I just make riders, some I bring back to NOS 100%... If you have ever done a full NOS restoration then you know 3500.00 is very reasonable. My 79 YZ 400 was a full on NOS restoration, the new owner was ecstatic with his purchase after looking at nothing but junk for months....
well a 100% correct concours show bike with nos parts is obviously a different deal but they are hard to sell because they are more expensive than all the others plus you can not ride them. there is such a thing as "over restored". great if one has a huge garage or a museum and a ton of money but otherwise pretty useless.

sandman768
11/17/2018 5:59am
barnett468 wrote:
sandman768 wrote:
I have restored many bikes over the years, some I just make riders, some I bring back to NOS 100%... If you have ever done a...
barnett468 wrote:
well a 100% correct concours show bike with nos parts is obviously a different deal but they are hard to sell because they are more expensive...
well a 100% correct concours show bike with nos parts is obviously a different deal but they are hard to sell because they are more expensive than all the others plus you can not ride them. there is such a thing as "over restored". great if one has a huge garage or a museum and a ton of money but otherwise pretty useless.

I agree on the over restored, it"s a learning process, should I have put that amount of $ into a 79 Yz400? Likely no, it is my hobby and I enjoy the process, not worried about the small amount of money I have tied up in my bikes. Some guys want to ride & race them so the concours restoration is not practical, but some guys want to display them in their shop or office, so yes, useless to some, but not all.
OldPro277
11/17/2018 3:49pm
The value on Vintage bikes is the same as any other "collectible" . Whatever the buyer THINKS its worth is what it IS worth. Like Sandman and many others on here ,I've restored at least 2 dozen. I've also "over-restored" (if thats even a possibilty) at least 6 or 7 that will never get ridden. Is that a waste or "useless" ?? No way, not to me. When you have 8k and 5 years tied up in building a 77 Fox 125 with all authentic pieces or 6k and 3 years completing a 78 FMF 125 and a 208 lb 80 YZ250G Hannah replica,or a 75 CH Industries Cr125, some bikes just need to stay pristine because of the rarity and value of the pieces used. . The Fox bike will never get started ,but the FMF bike and Hannah 250 were both raced the past 2 years at Mid Ohio,Unadilla rewind and other vintage races..In fact Darryn Durham won the holeshot competition on the Hannah bike this past MidOhio Vintage days. I currently have 4 that won't ever be ridden and 12 that are beautifully restored but are ridden and raced by myself and/or my friends. All of these bikes utilize the "period correct" mods that we all did back in the day. I'm not one to restore one to showroom stock, as back in the mid-late 70's ,there were no such bike at any race that I remember,lol.I've sold a few over the years and have built a few for other people,but I don't build these to make money obviously, I just really enjoy the process and the "hunt" for the right pieces. I've met a ton of great dudes that became friends the past 10 years building these things,and that alone is worth the money spent.
barnett468
11/17/2018 4:54pm
OldPro277 wrote:
The value on Vintage bikes is the same as any other "collectible" . Whatever the buyer THINKS its worth is what it IS worth. Like Sandman...
The value on Vintage bikes is the same as any other "collectible" . Whatever the buyer THINKS its worth is what it IS worth. Like Sandman and many others on here ,I've restored at least 2 dozen. I've also "over-restored" (if thats even a possibilty) at least 6 or 7 that will never get ridden. Is that a waste or "useless" ?? No way, not to me. When you have 8k and 5 years tied up in building a 77 Fox 125 with all authentic pieces or 6k and 3 years completing a 78 FMF 125 and a 208 lb 80 YZ250G Hannah replica,or a 75 CH Industries Cr125, some bikes just need to stay pristine because of the rarity and value of the pieces used. . The Fox bike will never get started ,but the FMF bike and Hannah 250 were both raced the past 2 years at Mid Ohio,Unadilla rewind and other vintage races..In fact Darryn Durham won the holeshot competition on the Hannah bike this past MidOhio Vintage days. I currently have 4 that won't ever be ridden and 12 that are beautifully restored but are ridden and raced by myself and/or my friends. All of these bikes utilize the "period correct" mods that we all did back in the day. I'm not one to restore one to showroom stock, as back in the mid-late 70's ,there were no such bike at any race that I remember,lol.I've sold a few over the years and have built a few for other people,but I don't build these to make money obviously, I just really enjoy the process and the "hunt" for the right pieces. I've met a ton of great dudes that became friends the past 10 years building these things,and that alone is worth the money spent.
You should have read my entire post.

"great if one has a huge garage or a museum and a ton of money..."
OldPro277
11/17/2018 5:36pm
I read your entire post---reading comprehension is one of my stronger attributes,lol. I wasn't necessarily responding just to what you stated , there has been a few posts throughout the years that have been of similar mindset, ie., " bikes were made to be ridden"etc,etc. And for the most part ,I agree.However,I also believe that there are some special builds that just have to stay in that perfect,pristine condition. A friend of mine has a better than new Bultaco Pursang that has the tank signed by Jim Pomeroy AND Sr. Bulto thats displayed in the entryway of his tool and die shop.Just another example of a bike that should stay in its climate-controlled nest. Everyone builds their bikes they way they want and for whatever purpose they see fit and shouldn't feel the need to explain their actions. I think EVERY vintage bike build is great for the simple reason is that its preserving the history and memories of a great time/era of the sport.
sandman768
11/17/2018 7:44pm
OldPro277 wrote:
The value on Vintage bikes is the same as any other "collectible" . Whatever the buyer THINKS its worth is what it IS worth. Like Sandman...
Well said....
barnett468
11/17/2018 10:24pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2018 10:27pm
OldPro277 wrote:
I read your entire post---reading comprehension is one of my stronger attributes,lol. I wasn't necessarily responding just to what you stated , there has been a...
I read your entire post---reading comprehension is one of my stronger attributes,lol. I wasn't necessarily responding just to what you stated , there has been a few posts throughout the years that have been of similar mindset, ie., " bikes were made to be ridden"etc,etc. And for the most part ,I agree.However,I also believe that there are some special builds that just have to stay in that perfect,pristine condition. A friend of mine has a better than new Bultaco Pursang that has the tank signed by Jim Pomeroy AND Sr. Bulto thats displayed in the entryway of his tool and die shop.Just another example of a bike that should stay in its climate-controlled nest. Everyone builds their bikes they way they want and for whatever purpose they see fit and shouldn't feel the need to explain their actions. I think EVERY vintage bike build is great for the simple reason is that its preserving the history and memories of a great time/era of the sport.
i wish i had a lot of money and a huge place to display some show bikes but if one is building a bike to resell, they will get more value if they restore something rare and/or iconic etc. as far as preserving the vintage era of bikes, i think they should be ridden where they can be shown how they perform as well as how they look and where a lot more people will see them. not much point in trying to preserve the history of these bikes by restoring them then parking them in ones garage etc where few other people will see it.

OldPro277
11/18/2018 6:00am
OldPro277 wrote:
I read your entire post---reading comprehension is one of my stronger attributes,lol. I wasn't necessarily responding just to what you stated , there has been a...
barnett468 wrote:
i wish i had a lot of money and a huge place to display some show bikes but if one is building a bike to resell...
i wish i had a lot of money and a huge place to display some show bikes but if one is building a bike to resell, they will get more value if they restore something rare and/or iconic etc. as far as preserving the vintage era of bikes, i think they should be ridden where they can be shown how they perform as well as how they look and where a lot more people will see them. not much point in trying to preserve the history of these bikes by restoring them then parking them in ones garage etc where few other people will see it.

Apparently you didn't read or understand my post. Dude,obviously you haven't done many restores. I/m not sure anyone that does a quality restoration is able to make a profit,or at least enough to warrant the time involved. And to address your statement that no one gets to see a great restoration job if its not ridden. .Wrong again. Even the bikes that I don't ride go to at least 6-8 races per year to be displayed. They've been in the "Legends and Heroes " displays at various Nationals and Supercross's on the East coast(High Point,Unadila,etc), at the Moto Armory displays at Vintage days, and various other AHRMA events. So,Im going to estimate that conservatively 40,000+ people had to the opportunity to view my 4 "non ridden" bikes this past year. Which is just slightly more than if I rode a bike at local Chicken Licks Raceway,lol. Keep in mind that 6 racebikes go with us to actually be raced at these events too,and those ones are restored to "show"quality too.

To recap all this-- again-- You build and use the bikes the way you want to, I'll do my thing , Sandman will do his, Newmann does his and on and on. I have zero qualms with the way anyone does their builds. You seem to like to argue, my advice to you is to relax and build, restore, ride, race,show,display whatever you like. Most of us Vintage guys have had far more days behind us than we have ahead of us so.........
11/18/2018 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2018 1:54pm
Certain vintage bikes are very difficult to source all of the correct parts for them. If you are lucky enough to find everything you need to bring a real rare one back, it may be impossible to bring it back again due to parts availability once you thrash it around a bit.

Not to mention, I do not see how a lot of these old bikes hang together. The frames have got to be fatigued over years of use. Have had to patch nearly every frame I have started with in some way. From Honda Mini Trails to full size bikes, many are cracked beyond repair.
barnett468
11/18/2018 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2018 3:36pm
OldPro277 wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
i wish i had a lot of money and a huge place to display some show bikes but if one is building a bike to resell...

OldPro277 wrote:
Apparently you didn't read or understand my post. Dude,obviously you haven't done many restores. I/m not sure anyone that does a quality restoration is able to...
Apparently you didn't read or understand my post. Dude,obviously you haven't done many restores. I/m not sure anyone that does a quality restoration is able to make a profit,or at least enough to warrant the time involved. And to address your statement that no one gets to see a great restoration job if its not ridden. .Wrong again. Even the bikes that I don't ride go to at least 6-8 races per year to be displayed. They've been in the "Legends and Heroes " displays at various Nationals and Supercross's on the East coast(High Point,Unadila,etc), at the Moto Armory displays at Vintage days, and various other AHRMA events. So,Im going to estimate that conservatively 40,000+ people had to the opportunity to view my 4 "non ridden" bikes this past year. Which is just slightly more than if I rode a bike at local Chicken Licks Raceway,lol. Keep in mind that 6 racebikes go with us to actually be raced at these events too,and those ones are restored to "show"quality too.

To recap all this-- again-- You build and use the bikes the way you want to, I'll do my thing , Sandman will do his, Newmann does his and on and on. I have zero qualms with the way anyone does their builds. You seem to like to argue, my advice to you is to relax and build, restore, ride, race,show,display whatever you like. Most of us Vintage guys have had far more days behind us than we have ahead of us so.........
"Dude,obviously you haven't done many restores."

Well, I do restorations for a living and have sold a few cars for world record prices at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale, therefore you quite clearly know absolutely zero about me, so that's what you get for assuming.

Also, when attempting to be condescending to someone, it would bee more effective if you used the proper words in the sentences you write. Instead of the word "restores" in your sentence above, you should have used the word "restorations" as this would have been grammatically correct.

"And to address your statement that no one gets to see a great restoration job if its not ridden."

"reading comprehension is one of my stronger attributes,lol. "

ummm...that is not exactly what I stated, therefore, your reading comprehension skills that you seem to be so proud of are obviously not quite as good as you seem to think they are.

"You seem to like to argue,"

It is also quite obvious that you are in fact the who who likes to argue and to try and have the last word, otherwise you wouldn't continue to reply to my posts, lol. Anyway. please do carry on, as I find this amusing.

"my advice to you is to relax and build, restore, ride, race,"

Thanks for the "advice" and I am always quite relaxed and did race today at Milestone with calvmx and won both classes I entered on my old worn out looking 1980 YZ250 that says "GERITOL" instead of "YAMAHA" on the tank.

ATKpilot99
11/18/2018 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2018 3:49pm
One of the cool things about the old school forum has always been the lack of arguing and insults compared to the main forum . Let's try to keep it that way.
OldPro277
11/18/2018 4:37pm
barnett468 wrote:

OldPro277 wrote:
Apparently you didn't read or understand my post. Dude,obviously you haven't done many restores. I/m not sure anyone that does a quality restoration is able to...

barnett468 wrote:
"Dude,obviously you haven't done many restores." Well, I do restorations for a living and have sold a few cars for world record prices at Barrett Jackson...
"Dude,obviously you haven't done many restores."

Well, I do restorations for a living and have sold a few cars for world record prices at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale, therefore you quite clearly know absolutely zero about me, so that's what you get for assuming.

Also, when attempting to be condescending to someone, it would bee more effective if you used the proper words in the sentences you write. Instead of the word "restores" in your sentence above, you should have used the word "restorations" as this would have been grammatically correct.

"And to address your statement that no one gets to see a great restoration job if its not ridden."

"reading comprehension is one of my stronger attributes,lol. "

ummm...that is not exactly what I stated, therefore, your reading comprehension skills that you seem to be so proud of are obviously not quite as good as you seem to think they are.

"You seem to like to argue,"

It is also quite obvious that you are in fact the who who likes to argue and to try and have the last word, otherwise you wouldn't continue to reply to my posts, lol. Anyway. please do carry on, as I find this amusing.

"my advice to you is to relax and build, restore, ride, race,"

Thanks for the "advice" and I am always quite relaxed and did race today at Milestone with calvmx and won both classes I entered on my old worn out looking 1980 YZ250 that says "GERITOL" instead of "YAMAHA" on the tank.

Yes we all know how fast you are and that you're a "jetting expert",and your bikes run great but look ugly . I'm kinda shocked you didn't mention again how you were the Head engineer of Kawasaki R&D go-karts during the glory years,lol. You just have a very bad habit of de-railing just about every thread you feel the need to enter. This thread was titled "Value of Vintage bikes". NOT what Barnacle THINKS people should do with their restoration projects. I tried to answer the mans question,and you jumped in with your criticism of "useless" builds and what people should do with them. And congratulations on your record-setting performance,however I was referring to restoring Vintage MX bikes for profit, which is very,very difficult to do,and was also the subject of the thread. (there is that reading comprehension issue again)

ATKPilot- You are correct,this is typically the safe port in the storm and I apologize for hooking him---but its soo easy,lol. Vintage guys are a great bunch of dudes,but every once in awhile you run across one that........

One last thing 'ol468, why is it that in most threads that you post , there are a bunch of "blank" posts from you ?? is that a sign or secret code of some sort ?? Lmao.

Post a reply to: Value on vintage bikes

The Latest