Valley cycle park (Muntz)

450guy
Edited Date/Time 12/12/2013 3:07pm
I used to love that place...
Does anyone have any photos of that park...??
I don't remember the exact location(my dad used to drive me)
Does anyone remember exactly where it was??
|
T-BOND
3/10/2006 6:00am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:57pm
[quote="450guy":49684]I used to love that place...
Does anyone remember exactly where it was??[/quote:49684]
I was there one time. Didn't it have those white fences near the pits? I think it was past the San Fernando Valley...Moorepark?
3/10/2006 6:56am
I can't remember to well either, but wasn't it on a road like Tepo or something?

That was one of my favorite tracks, but it's been so freakin long ago, I only remember those wide turns, awesome dirt and that drop off at the top of the hill. I believe we ran with District 37 or CRC there.

I'm sure it's nothing but million dollar homes today.
T-BOND
3/10/2006 7:08am
I remember seeing Super Hunky there going off the drop off at the top of that hill on a Maico (1975). He did better than I thought he would.
3/10/2006 7:53am
i have a couple of me racing novice and zahrt racing expert...i'll scan them later

The Shop

Ozy
3/12/2006 8:37am
I raced that track pretty regular. It was moorepark out the semi-valley freeway(I think the 118) That drop off at the top of the hill climb was really fun. What would you guess the total downhill distance at, 100 - 120 yards in length? I bet you could fly about 45-55 yards if you had the sack.

This track is all housing now

where was Baymere in relation to this track?
T-BOND
3/12/2006 7:35pm
I think Baymare was even further west of Valley Cycle Park.
3/13/2006 7:38am
[quote:bd1c0]baymare and moor cyclepark were the same i think

simi valley area[/quote:bd1c0]

BM, it's been way too many years and beers, but I don't think they are same. I think we did some GP's at Bay Mare and I don't remember them being at Valley Cycle Park.

The same person who will know this will also know where the Hope Ranch was, which I'm thinking might be Bay Mare?
Ozy
3/13/2006 8:06am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:57pm
[quote="BobbyM":6e186]valley cyclepark, moorpark and baymare were all the same no?[/quote:6e186]

I always thought that too until one day at Valley Cycle park after the races I had an old timer tell me If I liked this track I should go race at Baymare. He pointed north west and said "It's over that way."
450guy
3/15/2006 8:40pm
Bay Mare would still hold up as one of the best tracks in Calif.
Not the same place as Valley cycle park(Muntz)
T-BOND
3/15/2006 8:48pm
450guy,
Where did you live back then?
ninety3
3/15/2006 8:50pm
was Muntz near Indian Dunes ?
3/15/2006 9:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:58pm
[quote="BobbyM":472a1]Valley cyclepark, moorpark and baymare were all the same no?[/quote:472a1]

Muntz (Valley Cycle Park) was located at the North end of Thousand Oaks, south of town of Moorpark. I think Sunset Hills golf course off Erbes Road and Hwy 23 was part of it.

Baymare was located near a wide spot in the orange groves called Somis, in a box canyon at the end of Bixby Road near Balcom Canyon. Bitchen track.

Aerial view on Google is real blurry for both of them. Looked on Globe Explorer at the former site of BayMare. Much better. Can't see any remnants of the track though.

For about a year there was a track north of Simi Valley up Tapo Canyon called Rough Riders, built adjacent to the gravel pits. Johnny O had a private practice SX track up in that same vicinity the last couple of years of his career.

As the crow flies, Indian Dunes was only a few miles North of Rough Riders but it would take you an hour by car to drive between the two places.

Oh yeah, Hopetown (called Corriganville prior Bob Hope buying it) was an old movie set location. Houses have been built on the site of the old parking lots but the rest is a preserved area that's open for hiking. It's located on the east end of Simi Valley just over Santa Susana pass from San Fernando Valley.
ninety3
3/15/2006 9:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:58pm
In the spring of 76' that would put me at the ripe old age of 12, the chief mechanic of my parents M/C shop took us riding, I remember we didn't get to go where he wanted, and ended up at Indian Dunes, I think we drove about an hour out of the way of Indian Dunes to go to this other track that was no longer there, I thought it was Muntz, does that sound about right ?

My brother & I had brand new Puchs' mine was a 125MX, his a 175 Enduro, sadly we had to give them back to the distributor after a few months. They looked a lot like this

[img:5b5b9]http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/machines/vintageguide/img/Puch125MX.jp…]
[img:5b5b9]http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/machines/vintageguide/img/Puch175Endur…]
Beezer
3/15/2006 10:12pm
Muntz is located at 23 highway & Tierra Rejada rd between Simi Valley & Moorpark. There is a driving range across the street and you can still make out part of the downhill of the track as it has not been develop yet.

many Good memories of it. My friend use to get his mother to take us there and we load our 50's in the back of the station wagon for the trip.
Potts
7/26/2007 9:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:02pm
[quote="450guy":d58a1]I used to love that place...
Does anyone remember exactly where it was??[/quote:d58a1]

Funny Valley Cycle Park story! There was a local pro named Hal Strauss. Hal flew off of the top of the downhill but swung too wide and landed on a steel fence markers. It cut through his leathers and actually cut open one of his testicles. His dad was a taxidermist and sewed his nut up right there at the track!
gomxracing
8/4/2007 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:02pm
[quote="Beezer":d19c2]Muntz is located at 23 highway & Tierra Rejada rd between Simi Valley & Moorpark. There is a driving range across the street and you can still make out part of the downhill of the track as it has not been develop yet.

many Good memories of it. My friend use to get his mother to take us there and we load our 50's in the back of the station wagon for the trip.[/quote:d19c2]

i used to ride(learn) there allot in the day....... fwy ended just about there(23) if i remember correctly
i used to come from 1000 oaks........ that fwy was just about brand new(we did all sorts of crazy stunts on that fwy)

i remember the "TT" track there.and the big ole hill on MX track( they reversed track now and then to if i remember right)...... had a shit box bike in those days(not an MX bike) ...at the very end i got my 74 TM 100 but Indian dunes was my spot after that place closed

that place had a big big hill (or it looked that way as a kid) like in the parking lot area......people would try to go up
my good friend had a pumped XR-75 with like a 110 kit on it......(something like that).....made it up
have not spoke to him since JR. high school......... ended up being a desert pro rider (baja guy)

was good riding in that "park" in those hills. i knew that place real will in the day, rode all over with my friends.lots of crazy stories
justpinit
8/9/2007 10:31pm
I've been to a lot of my old riding areas since they were re-developed with houses & condos.

It's always a little disturbing when you see a new house go up on top of an old berm!!

There is a farmer's field in Armstrong BC Canada. If you know what you're looking for, you can still see the berms from the races they held there in the '70's.

.........my Dad (and his buddies) took me to one of those races. I can remember a cool red & yellow Opem Class Maico that was roostin' for miles, and the Suzuki's had yellow & blue for the first time. '79??
450guy
9/21/2007 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:03pm
[quote="T-BOND":8c698]450guy,
Where did you live back then?[/quote:8c698]

i grew up in Diamond Bar......i think back then i had 5 track i could ride at..without even loading my bike up in a truck...
5/14/2013 12:07pm
My boss used to race at Muntz but he said there was also a track called Balcom cnyn raceway. then they fenced it off, closing it . Someone a while layer cut the fence and many riders rode the track after tha illegally. I am sure everyone remembers "Saddleback raceway", right??? ,, well, they closed it back in the 80's because of growing neighborhoods or some reason BUT!!!,, if you go to google earth or historic aerials and find the location, you can still see the tracks outline,, completely untouched and not any homes or any building of anything anywhere near it. very sad it isn''t still open. It was right off of Imperial hwy.
newk444
12/9/2013 4:10pm
"Baymare" was in Fillmore. "Muntz" (Valley Cycle Park) was on Olsen Rd. between Simi and Moore park, but still considered Simi as it was on the west side of the freeway. Back in those days we had so may places to ride!
Sondy132001
12/12/2013 3:07pm
My boss used to race at Muntz but he said there was also a track called Balcom cnyn raceway. then they fenced it off, closing it...
My boss used to race at Muntz but he said there was also a track called Balcom cnyn raceway. then they fenced it off, closing it . Someone a while layer cut the fence and many riders rode the track after tha illegally. I am sure everyone remembers "Saddleback raceway", right??? ,, well, they closed it back in the 80's because of growing neighborhoods or some reason BUT!!!,, if you go to google earth or historic aerials and find the location, you can still see the tracks outline,, completely untouched and not any homes or any building of anything anywhere near it. very sad it isn''t still open. It was right off of Imperial hwy.
Saddleback closed because of poor management and Irvine Co. got sued and closed the place down, it's by a dump, there's no houses.

S

Post a reply to: Valley cycle park (Muntz)

The Latest