Usual help needed for 83 CR125

mrmoto619
Edited Date/Time 8/17/2016 9:39am
I have a 1983 CR 125 and the clutch case needs replacing I am trying to avoid the high priced reproductions; but have not seen any on ebay for the past several weeks. Are there any other years that will work for that bike I have only been searching 1983.
|
mrmoto619
8/17/2016 11:16am
It runs now and does not leak but the previous owner used a ton of JB weld on it. The water pump propeller does not turn easily ( the bearings are fine) so I am assuming with all of the JB weld something is not shaped correctly. I do not know the long term consequences of running the bike like this thus the reason for my post.
DrGreg
8/19/2016 2:24pm
The long term consequence (and it will actually be a short term consequence) is that it will overheat and seize.

I just did a year long, down to the frame and crankshaft rebuild of one. I can tell you there is a very high probability the radiators are also clogged/contaminated with magnesium. Which will again, cause it to overheat and seize.

I put a reproduction cover on mine from Russell in Australia. The one on my bike was also Dremel'd and JB Welded in a piss poor fashion.

Thor Lawson told me he knows how to fix them and hasn't had one fail. Depending upon how far gone yours is you may want to consider sending him pictures and getting his opinion. He has a very detailed process from what he described to me.

As far as the radiators I sent mine to Mylers and they came back looking like new. Another option is ordering a Chinese set from eBay. A guy in our vintage club runs a Chinese set with no issues.

They are great bikes, I wanted one in the worst way in 1983 but the Suzuki dealer gave me a much better deal than Honda would. It was a challenge finding a few of the parts mine needed but frequent eBay searches turned up everything eventually. Good luck on the build, once you rectify the clutch cover issue, (and that really is the main PITA achilles heel issue on these bikes), you should be smooth sailing from there.
DrGreg
8/19/2016 2:38pm

Still not sure how I like the shroud decal and seat cover. I may take it back to a totally stock look.

The Shop

Honda88L
8/19/2016 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2016 6:52pm
I have an 83 CR250 that of course had the same issue. When I got it I completely rebuilt the motor, cleaned it up with JB Weld on the cover, etc. and all was good.

1.The biggest mistake I made was assuming it would stay that way without looking at it. At the end of the first year, about the 8th race and multiple practices later, I was riding a GP and the motor seized. Took it apart and the sludge from the JB Weld, radiators maybe?, lodged between the impeller wheel and the cover, seized the impeller and stripped the shaft on the impeller stopping the circulation. If you are going to ride it I would just pop the impeller cover off(lay it on its side so the water doesn't come out) and check it out fairly often.

2.Run Evans waterless coolant - no water=no further corrosion and it keeps engine temp down. The stuff isn't cheap but it works awesome.

3.Your slow turning impeller has me a bit perplexed? Are you saying that is when the cover is on or off the bike? If you have never had it off the bike I would lay it over and pull the cover. When off the impeller comes right out and you should be able to see the shape of the cradle it goes in as well as how it moves free. It should move as fast as your finger can spin it. By all means clean it up accordingly when you have it off. If it is when it is on the bike it would have resistance. I actually don't recall for sure if it moves if it is on the bike but I think so. It does mesh into a gear under the cover though.

4.The 83 is a one off year because it switched to the right so I think you would have a really hard time finding a good cover besides the repop in AU. The 83 250, because it is on the left, can use the 81 aluminum which is what I have now but they still cost $250 if you can find one.

If you don't want to spend the $$'s I would definitely make sure your current one is cleaned up, run Evans, and check it often. Since you live in OH are you going to get that thing up to Delta over Labor Day? Great event if you like racing!
billyslad
8/19/2016 10:42pm
Check water pump shaft hasn't broken the gear as this seems quite common

It has a pin that holds the plastic gear in place on the shaft that would appear to be a weak area

jtracing6
8/20/2016 2:06pm
Bite the bullet and get your wallet out, that way you will be able to ride and enjoy the bike with one less worry.
tb901
Fantasy
2041st
8/23/2016 6:55am

Where do you find a new water pump shaft/gear?

mrmoto619
8/26/2016 1:06pm
When I spin the gear or the propeller the clutch cover is off the bike. It does move but there is definite resistance. When I looked into the radiator there was one small piece of corrosion that I saw it was about 1/2 the size of a pea the other radiator I cant see inside obviously so how would I know if the radiator is clogged or contaminated with magnesium. I am hoping to get to race this bike at Delta but time is against me I just got the frame back from powder coating.
mrmoto619
8/29/2016 6:36am

Inspection of my water pump gear showed several small cracks will be looking for a new one. Would you advise me not to continue use of this one until I find a new one?
billyslad
8/29/2016 9:36am
Try and get a replica machines whilst it is still in one piece
mrmoto619
8/29/2016 11:36am
Do you know of anybody who could make a replica of it?
tb901
Fantasy
2041st
8/29/2016 11:38am
mrmoto619 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/08/29/148924/s1200_IMG_1622.jpg[/img] Inspection of my water pump gear showed several small cracks will be looking for a new one. Would you advise me not to continue use...

Inspection of my water pump gear showed several small cracks will be looking for a new one. Would you advise me not to continue use of this one until I find a new one?
Mine looks similar, but not as bad. I have two shafts, one without a gear, both are splined like yours. billyslad shows a pinned setup. Either the original was superseded or there is another year that is compatible. I was hoping for the ladder, but it's not looking good.
CamP
8/29/2016 3:30pm
Use 20% acid vinegar to remove the magnesium oxide build up in the radiators. Simply remove the rads, plug the openings with rubber stoppers and fill with vinegar. wait 24 hours and flush. Repeat as required.
Honda88L
8/29/2016 5:42pm
Might be a long shot but try giving Western Hills Honda in Cincinnati a call (513) 662-7759 They are into vintage and they are always really cool about checking national inventory somehow. Part# for that is 19240-KA3-710

Helped me find an NOS rod for mine at some shop in NJ. Good luck.

Post a reply to: Usual help needed for 83 CR125

The Latest