Throwback "1993" Yz125 it's For Sale

jk367
11/25/2016 5:48pm
I see u went back to a newer front fender. Nice choice. Bike looks great
11/25/2016 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2016 6:11pm
Thanks guys. I really need to dial in the suspension. I'm going to try raising the forks up another 5mm and slowing down the rebound on the shock. It was a little more springy than I usually run. I just threw the bike together too quick and didn't dial it in yet.

The track was really torn up, but I felt a lot more comfortable leaning it over in berms with the old set up.
Jim in VA
11/29/2016 2:38pm
I bought some purple seat material from my local upholstery shop at cost. I sent it to Ceet and they stitched up a cool seat cover...
I bought some purple seat material from my local upholstery shop at cost. I sent it to Ceet and they stitched up a cool seat cover.

I know Evo-Mx is making the '93 YZR seat covers now, though. I am waiting on mine.

Ryan, are those all YOUR bikes in that photo? If so, you're a lucky guy. I had a flashback to my teens looking at that picture. I love that so many other people here love that era of machinery too.

The Shop

Jim in VA
11/29/2016 2:49pm
Nice find, and nice job on the YZ, it turned out great. How do you like the big bore kit? I once bought a used 94 CR125, and loved the midrange it had, actually a great woods bike. I later found out it had a big bore kit too. I wish I'd kept it.
chuckie108
11/29/2016 5:15pm
Wow! One of the better "retro" themed modern bikes- really cool!!
11/30/2016 10:28am
Jim in VA wrote:
Nice find, and nice job on the YZ, it turned out great. How do you like the big bore kit? I once bought a used 94...
Nice find, and nice job on the YZ, it turned out great. How do you like the big bore kit? I once bought a used 94 CR125, and loved the midrange it had, actually a great woods bike. I later found out it had a big bore kit too. I wish I'd kept it.
The power from mid to top was amazing. It still had a little bit of a big on low end, but I'm pretty sure all 125s are going to have that. I will adjust the air screw out another rhalf turn too to hopefully eliminate that.

It did really good at Glen Helen. I wasn't going fast by any means, but I was pleasantly surprised when it was pulling the front wheel off the ground going up some of those almost vertical hills.

I will be able to get a better idea of the power when I take it to Pala, because that was the only track I took it to before the tear down.
11/30/2016 10:33am
I wish I could find a larger aluminum frame guard for it. I was not happy when I saw scuffs from my boots in spots on the frame, but I don't know if I will be able to track those down. I might go with some light gray grip tape.

MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
11/30/2016 11:22am
Very cool look, nice job!
12/10/2016 5:39pm
The bike is reluctantly for sale. I want to try to qualify for LL's and think I will have a better shot on a Yz300 that I'm looking at. I just wish the wife wouldn't have a hernia if I kept this and brought home the 300 too.

I don't know if I will go through with it. I probably have more invested in it than I am asking, but it is a labor of love.

Craigslist Ad
Jim in VA
12/10/2016 6:19pm
Man, I understand how you feel. I've always been a Honda guy, but Yamaha is second in line on my list.. many chassis items and plastics interchange between CR125's, 250's, and 500's. Could you just swap over the plastics and applicable goodies to the 250 you want? Sell the YZ as a very clean example without the throwback stuff? I'd guess you should advertise on this site also, as more people here will appreciate what you have than the average Craigslist shopper...
12/10/2016 6:54pm
Jim in VA wrote:
Man, I understand how you feel. I've always been a Honda guy, but Yamaha is second in line on my list.. many chassis items and plastics...
Man, I understand how you feel. I've always been a Honda guy, but Yamaha is second in line on my list.. many chassis items and plastics interchange between CR125's, 250's, and 500's. Could you just swap over the plastics and applicable goodies to the 250 you want? Sell the YZ as a very clean example without the throwback stuff? I'd guess you should advertise on this site also, as more people here will appreciate what you have than the average Craigslist shopper...
I don't think I would miss out on a whole lot of parts if I got rid of it. It would be cool to keep the white plastic, but I can always just get another Clarke tank and white plastic. I would be fine without taking the suspension too because the bike I'm thinking about getting is a 2006 so it already has pretty much everything that I spent so much money on to upgrade this bike.
Jim in VA
12/10/2016 7:01pm
That's cool. I don't know if it's a universal thing or just me, but after putting so much time and effort into something, I get attached and have a hard time parting with it. It's not so bad if you know it's going to someone who appreciates it, and will take care of it like you do, but I couldn't sell it to an idiot kid with a flat black spray paint can in one hand and cash in the other..
12/10/2016 7:26pm
Yea I had a great time building the bike. I'm not too attached to it though. I can always build something similar if I want to again. One possibility would be that if I could find basically just a motor and frame I might be able to swap all these parts onto it. I'm not sure if the swing arm would fit, but basically everything else should work. Hmmmm
Jim in VA
12/10/2016 7:30pm
Yeah, but at that point it may not be worth the effort. They were good looking bikes to me in the stock all blue. I guess you could put all the stock stuff back on, but you'd still have a blue frame which may or may not look good.
12/10/2016 7:42pm
Aha, but I could get an 06 and up aluminum frame so I wouldn't have to worry about that. The sss suspension would definitely fit too.
Jim in VA
12/11/2016 6:05pm
Aha, but I could get an 06 and up aluminum frame so I wouldn't have to worry about that. The sss suspension would definitely fit too.
There you go! I'm keeping an eye out for an 89 CR125 parts bike. I've had my 88 for like 23-24 years now, the last 16-17 of which it's just sat in storage. It was fully restored/rebuilt by me in 94' so is pretty good mechanically. However, I always liked the tank/shrouds/seat of the 89' up bikes. The 88 was the last year of the 85-style of tank/shrouds. The 89 began the flatter layout of the seat and low pipe. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike and hung with or beat newer race prepped bikes until the late 90's when I stopped riding, but I'd like to upgrade ergos a bit. If any of you guys have this stuff at a reasonable price, let me know! Thanks -Jim
Kidkawie
12/12/2016 12:11am
I wish I could find a larger aluminum frame guard for it. I was not happy when I saw scuffs from my boots in spots on...
I wish I could find a larger aluminum frame guard for it. I was not happy when I saw scuffs from my boots in spots on the frame, but I don't know if I will be able to track those down. I might go with some light gray grip tape.

You can use clear numberplate vinyl to protect areas like that.
1/18/2017 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2017 4:37pm
I found some white grip tape that i put on the frame to preserve the powder coat. Its working so far. I was crazy to think I could get rid of this bike after all I did to it.

I sent the forks off to Factory Connection to get lighter springs because they were off a 450 originally. I also got the right rear spring for my weight and I can rail the berms again and am getting a lot more comfortable on flat corners.

MaxPower
1/18/2017 6:17pm
That looks so good Smashing Pumkins. I really really like it
cvm
1/20/2017 4:12am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2017 4:18am
Mr. Pumpkin,
Fantastic job thx for sharing it all. Beautiful ride. I'm in process on a 92 myself w/a target date of 4/7/17- Budds Creek. Hope I have the time and $$$ Smile Couple questions if you would be so kind.

Where did you get the frame guards? Overseas?
Was the lower Lg power valve gasket w/ the eng?
Is sealant between the intake boot and the reed cage the ticket?
Want to upgrade the shock as well. Did you just buy the linkage from the 06 also? Any cross reference knowledge you have on this subject would be gold to me. Yes I believe there was a frame change 92-93

Thanks for your time.Schmooze the wife so you can keep that beauty!, Mark
1/20/2017 9:39am
cvm wrote:
Mr. Pumpkin, Fantastic job thx for sharing it all. Beautiful ride. I'm in process on a 92 myself w/a target date of 4/7/17- Budds Creek. Hope...
Mr. Pumpkin,
Fantastic job thx for sharing it all. Beautiful ride. I'm in process on a 92 myself w/a target date of 4/7/17- Budds Creek. Hope I have the time and $$$ Smile Couple questions if you would be so kind.

Where did you get the frame guards? Overseas?
Was the lower Lg power valve gasket w/ the eng?
Is sealant between the intake boot and the reed cage the ticket?
Want to upgrade the shock as well. Did you just buy the linkage from the 06 also? Any cross reference knowledge you have on this subject would be gold to me. Yes I believe there was a frame change 92-93

Thanks for your time.Schmooze the wife so you can keep that beauty!, Mark
Is actually a 2002 so parts were pretty easy to find. I got most of them off ebay. The new shock was the same length as the stock one so it was just a bolt on.

RyanLester761
1/20/2017 10:19am
I found some white grip tape that i put on the frame to preserve the powder coat. Its working so far. I was crazy to think...
I found some white grip tape that i put on the frame to preserve the powder coat. Its working so far. I was crazy to think I could get rid of this bike after all I did to it.

I sent the forks off to Factory Connection to get lighter springs because they were off a 450 originally. I also got the right rear spring for my weight and I can rail the berms again and am getting a lot more comfortable on flat corners.

Did I catch you DID NOT end up selling this bike?! Thank God! I was surprised you would sell it after all that work. Awesome bike, man. Surely one of my favorites on here.
1/20/2017 2:43pm
I found some white grip tape that i put on the frame to preserve the powder coat. Its working so far. I was crazy to think...

Did I catch you DID NOT end up selling this bike?! Thank God! I was surprised you would sell it after all that work. Awesome bike...
Did I catch you DID NOT end up selling this bike?! Thank God! I was surprised you would sell it after all that work. Awesome bike, man. Surely one of my favorites on here.
Yes thats right. I was a little flustered that the suspension didn't feel right. I was going to sell it and get a KTM four stroke pig to try to make it to Loretta's and those things can get pretty pricey! I did a ktm Ride Day and those things felt like Cadillacs compared to my old 01 yz250.

I decided that I am going to see about getting a yz295 that's for sale locally and see what I can do on that. It's half the price of a used ktm and I have a little more confidence in the reliability of a Yamaha 2 stroke compared to a ktm 4 stroke.

MaxPower
1/21/2017 5:09pm
I must have returned back to this thread 5 times just to check out the finished 125 again. I really like how it turned out
1/21/2017 11:00pm
MaxPower wrote:
I must have returned back to this thread 5 times just to check out the finished 125 again. I really like how it turned out
Thanks, each time I mess with it I'm always taking pictures. I really like it. I'm draining the gas in between rides too because I don't want that tank to turn yellow.

I might have to put the 295 project on hold. We are going to get killed on taxes this year. It's our first year in a grown up tax bracket. But I'm looking at picking up more shifts to work hard for two months so I can get it.

I'm torn between doing another white one and doing a 95 replica or staying blue and doing a 96 or 97. I really liked how this bike turned out

Jamal#440
1/28/2017 8:53am
I forgot about those brake gaurds, possibly the trickest OEM part ever.
Nice work/build.
2/8/2017 7:50am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2017 7:52am
I had the pipe sand blasted and torched the welds. I also tried to give it a little bit of discoloration on the main part of the pipe, but its pretty risky because you can burn it too hot pretty quickly. I also got a boyesen ignition cover. I will get the clutch side too and water pump cover, but I'm trying to pace myself while I save for my next bike.

2/13/2018 3:16pm
Every since I bought my yz250f I barely ride this thing and we are trying to save for a house. It's for sale, I have it listed in the bazaar.

Post a reply to: Throwback "1993" Yz125 it's For Sale

The Latest