Throwback "1993" Yz125 it's For Sale

8/31/2016 11:04am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2022 5:18am
I bought this bike from a vital member. It's a 2002.

It didn't run at the time and the seller said it just needed a carburetor rebuild. I was a little nervous but I trusted the guy. I rebuilt the carb, put some new gas in it, and it fired up after a couple kicks. It was really fun to rip around on. I haven't ridden a 125 in 10 years, but always enjoyed them.

I knew I wanted to make it a white yz, just because you don't see a whole lot of white yamahas at the track and I grew up watching supercross races from back when Yamahas were white. I got extremely lucky and found the white gas tank that they used for Ping's 125 at Washougal. It wasn't a perfect fit, but I made it work using foam pads instead of the stock rubber.

I found some 1993 graphics and threw them on there. I also fit an older style front fender and number plate.

After riding it a little while my plan is to powder coat the frame, upgrade to sss suspension, and I am hoping to track down a purple gripper seat cover. I tried traction mx, but they didn't have what I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone knew of someone that could do it for me. I think I I'll try evo mx next.

For now he is just a slightly confused yz. He has some blue, some pink, and some red. I'm not 100% sure which direction I will go.

|
8/31/2016 3:38pm
Your heading in the right direction. $550 wouldn't get you a set of rims where i come from. And it looks like you have some nice riding country there. Enjoy the ride...
MaxPower
8/31/2016 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2016 4:22pm
Pit Replica will make you a seat cover. 35.00 shipped to your door. Perfect quality too. Not like some other seat covers sold
I like the white plastic and retro graphics
8/31/2016 4:51pm
MaxPower wrote:
Pit Replica will make you a seat cover. 35.00 shipped to your door. Perfect quality too. Not like some other seat covers sold I like the...
Pit Replica will make you a seat cover. 35.00 shipped to your door. Perfect quality too. Not like some other seat covers sold
I like the white plastic and retro graphics
Thanks for the info! I will message them. I knew somebody out there had to make it.

I found the 1993 swingarm decals on eBay so I think that seals the deal for me. I will stick with a 1993 replica as it came from the factory.

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
8/31/2016 9:23pm
Fun project !! I am doing a Yellow YZ 125 and stripping the frame paint as we speak. I like the clean look of the white and you could do the Damon Bradshaw decal kit on yours that would look cool.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
8/31/2016 9:26pm
Thanks for the info! I will message them. I knew somebody out there had to make it. I found the 1993 swingarm decals on eBay so...
Thanks for the info! I will message them. I knew somebody out there had to make it.

I found the 1993 swingarm decals on eBay so I think that seals the deal for me. I will stick with a 1993 replica as it came from the factory.
You can get this style kit from 1993 that will fit your YZ125

9/1/2016 12:50am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 12:56am
lostboy819 wrote:
You can get this style kit from 1993 that will fit your YZ125 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/08/31/149377/s1200_379131_338632262819974_455324532_n.jpg[/img]
You can get this style kit from 1993 that will fit your YZ125

I have been torn this the whole time on whether to do the factory or stock replica from 1993. I saw pictures of the one industries throwback kit and it doesn't look up to par with what I would want to do, but I know I could have a kit made that would look more realistic. Do you know who I could contact to have this done? I figured Evo, but I thought they only did graphics for older bikes.

I also have found a set of that throw back Bradshaw Axo gear that I will probably buy. I guess that makes me lean towards doing the factory replica. Decisions, decisions.

I saw your project too while I was getting this whole thing started. It looks like we used very similar strategies. We both got cheap yz125s!
9/1/2016 3:11am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 3:12am
I have some NOS Ceet seat covers for YZ's.

9/1/2016 3:13am
$40 each plus shipping 9eight9 two three nine eight nine four zero

9/1/2016 6:34am
Can anyone let me know if this is for sure a shock off a 2010 yz125? It looks to be the same, but I just wanted to be sure. You never know on eBay! It seems like it will be a nice upgrade. I've been reading a lot of the reviews from MXA and they said that it was like they put works suspension on the yz's when they upgraded the suspension in 2006.

karlz
9/1/2016 8:00am
The shock looks older than a 2010. It is however hard to tell from that angle. The 2010 I'm sure had a more bronze/gold anodised body a fatter reservoir and the piston rod was 18mm wide.

www.karlzracing.com
9/1/2016 8:17am
Hmmm I night do this one instead. It's off a 2006 and is a lot cheaper, and it doesn't look as ragged as the first one did.

RyanLester761
9/1/2016 12:21pm
I bought some purple seat material from my local upholstery shop at cost. I sent it to Ceet and they stitched up a cool seat cover.

I know Evo-Mx is making the '93 YZR seat covers now, though. I am waiting on mine.

9/1/2016 4:09pm
I bought some purple seat material from my local upholstery shop at cost. I sent it to Ceet and they stitched up a cool seat cover...
I bought some purple seat material from my local upholstery shop at cost. I sent it to Ceet and they stitched up a cool seat cover.

I know Evo-Mx is making the '93 YZR seat covers now, though. I am waiting on mine.

Is that the seat cover that they did on that Yamaha? It looks amazing!

The guy at Pit replica said he could make me a seat cover if I sent him a seat cover that fits my bike and whatever material I wanted to use. I think I will start with that. I will start exploring the local upholstery shops to get material. I'm not sure if he can do logos or not. But if he can't then I might go with ceet.
RyanLester761
9/2/2016 11:58am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2016 11:59am
Ok. Sounds like a plan.

Yes, Ceet did the purple seat on my Emig replica.

Your bike looks bad ass with the '93 shroud graphics by the way! I have some of those decals and I have e 2005 YZ125. Maybe I'll do that look also. Where did you get the white tank?
MaxPower
9/2/2016 2:04pm
I think he has purple that matched the purple KX seat covers. If he does that may be close.
9/2/2016 4:14pm
Ok. Sounds like a plan. Yes, Ceet did the purple seat on my Emig replica. Your bike looks bad ass with the '93 shroud graphics by...
Ok. Sounds like a plan.

Yes, Ceet did the purple seat on my Emig replica.

Your bike looks bad ass with the '93 shroud graphics by the way! I have some of those decals and I have e 2005 YZ125. Maybe I'll do that look also. Where did you get the white tank?
I don't want to brag, but that gas tank is kind of famous. It was the one that they used for Ping's Yz in the dream race build. I was on my way to pick up the bike and found it when I did a random craigs list search. It pretty much sealed the deal for me. I picked it up the next day. It saved me a little bit of dough too compared to buying a new one from Clarke.

I had to trim the graphics just a little bit to make them fit. I don't know if they are a 100% match to the originals, they are from factory effex. They are available on this ebay ad.

1993 tank graphics
9/2/2016 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2016 4:21pm
I just picked these up. I'm going to do the modern airbox conversion too and figured I should do white because the originals had a lot of white on the sides. I might be addicted to buying motorcycle parts off ebay. It is just really nice to be able to find so many parts for this bike because it is the last generation of the yz125.

wfo4ever
9/2/2016 4:29pm
I have a very clean and well maintained 2005 Yamaha YZ-125 that I bought in like new condition back in early 2005. I have done a lot of mods to this bike, it is a blast to ride, and is very fast. I love it and will keep it forever. I would like to do it up in the old school yellow "Bob Hannah" style. I know One Industries had a kit but they are out of business now, plus the kit still showed the blue tank. Any help would be appreciated.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/2/2016 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2016 4:49pm
wfo4ever wrote:
I have a very clean and well maintained 2005 Yamaha YZ-125 that I bought in like new condition back in early 2005. I have done a...
I have a very clean and well maintained 2005 Yamaha YZ-125 that I bought in like new condition back in early 2005. I have done a lot of mods to this bike, it is a blast to ride, and is very fast. I love it and will keep it forever. I would like to do it up in the old school yellow "Bob Hannah" style. I know One Industries had a kit but they are out of business now, plus the kit still showed the blue tank. Any help would be appreciated.

The 05 is easy to do, Clark makes a yellow tank and that is what I have and its high quality and all the yellow plastic is all over ebay. Several company's do graphics in the retro yellow like Fusion. I wanted to do a 05 or up model but this 01 fell into my hands for $100 bucks but if I find a cheap 05 or up aluminium frame I will do it up too. I even found a complete set of NEW blue plastic for $50 to use so I dont trash the harder to find yellow stuff.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/2/2016 4:48pm
I just picked these up. I'm going to do the modern airbox conversion too and figured I should do white because the originals had a lot...
I just picked these up. I'm going to do the modern airbox conversion too and figured I should do white because the originals had a lot of white on the sides. I might be addicted to buying motorcycle parts off ebay. It is just really nice to be able to find so many parts for this bike because it is the last generation of the yz125.

Lots of parts on ebay and cheap too. I am finding stuff every day for pennies on the dollar.
9/2/2016 4:51pm
wfo4ever wrote:
I have a very clean and well maintained 2005 Yamaha YZ-125 that I bought in like new condition back in early 2005. I have done a...

Very nice looking! I will probably keep my new bike for life. It is so fun, 125s are the best.

Clarke manufacturing has a yellow one listed. I'm not sure if it will match exactly the same as the other yellow plastic kits. But you could always ask. I only had minor fitment issues that I outlined above. I hope you can figure something out! Here's a link:

Clarke yz125 gas tanks
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/2/2016 4:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2016 5:15pm
wfo4ever wrote:

This set was on ebay a few weeks ago for $250 . I think this was for a 450 but stuff shows up all the time. You also scored with the Ohlins shock!!!!

9/2/2016 4:54pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Lots of parts on ebay and cheap too. I am finding stuff every day for pennies on the dollar.
Partsfish.com had good prices on the airbox parts too. I got side number plates for $16 each. On ebay they wanted $60. The airbox was pretty reasonable too.

I reached my limit on parts for the week. I got paid this morning and have already spent too much on yz125 parts. Oops!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/2/2016 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2016 4:58pm
wfo4ever wrote:

Very nice looking! I will probably keep my new bike for life. It is so fun, 125s are the best. Clarke manufacturing has a yellow one...
Very nice looking! I will probably keep my new bike for life. It is so fun, 125s are the best.

Clarke manufacturing has a yellow one listed. I'm not sure if it will match exactly the same as the other yellow plastic kits. But you could always ask. I only had minor fitment issues that I outlined above. I hope you can figure something out! Here's a link:

Clarke yz125 gas tanks
Here is the one I bought, nice YZ yellow . Did your white tank not fit over the stock rubber frame pads ? Mine fits fine.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/2/2016 5:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2016 5:06pm
Partsfish.com had good prices on the airbox parts too. I got side number plates for $16 each. On ebay they wanted $60. The airbox was pretty...
Partsfish.com had good prices on the airbox parts too. I got side number plates for $16 each. On ebay they wanted $60. The airbox was pretty reasonable too.

I reached my limit on parts for the week. I got paid this morning and have already spent too much on yz125 parts. Oops!
I know the feeling, I only have about $600 into everything so far and I found forks with Enzo subtanks all new yellow plastic, graphics,rebuilt the motor and have a FMF SST pipe and silencer, lots of carbon fiber,a black airbox and a complete set of new blue plastic. I will buy a BUDs carbon fiber silencer for $129 too. I could have had it running for around $100 but I am having to much fun doing a retro Hannah YZ. Cool

lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/2/2016 5:10pm
wfo4ever wrote:

Here is a set on ebay now for $50 add a $200 new yellow clark stock tank and you are retro.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACE-TECH-YELLOW-PLASTIC-KIT-YAMAHA-YZ250-YZ125…

9/2/2016 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2016 5:24pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Here is the one I bought, nice YZ yellow . Did your white tank not fit over the stock rubber frame pads ? Mine fits fine...
Here is the one I bought, nice YZ yellow . Did your white tank not fit over the stock rubber frame pads ? Mine fits fine.

The stock rubber was just a little too high. When I tried to bolt the mount to the frame it was not lining up. The foam that I put there instead worked out good because it was soft and gave me a lot more maneuverability.

I have probably spent about $1000 so far, and I really have barely gotten started. I still plan to do the suspension and replace swing arm, linkage, wheel, (etc.) bearings, powder coating, plus exhaust. I really want one of those scalvini pipes. So Maybe my budget will be about $2000. We will see.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/2/2016 5:17pm
I don't want to brag, but that gas tank is kind of famous. It was the one that they used for Ping's Yz in the dream...
I don't want to brag, but that gas tank is kind of famous. It was the one that they used for Ping's Yz in the dream race build. I was on my way to pick up the bike and found it when I did a random craigs list search. It pretty much sealed the deal for me. I picked it up the next day. It saved me a little bit of dough too compared to buying a new one from Clarke.

I had to trim the graphics just a little bit to make them fit. I don't know if they are a 100% match to the originals, they are from factory effex. They are available on this ebay ad.

1993 tank graphics
Awesome find on the white tank and plastic, that thing will turn heads when its done. Cool

Post a reply to: Throwback "1993" Yz125 it's For Sale

The Latest