Thermo-form plastics?

chuckie108
With the passing of DMC, it got me thinking how much I drooled over his bikes back in the day. Nothing but respect for that guy. I'm getting ready to start my '86 KX250 build, and I would love to replicate some of the cool one off plastic parts DMC used to do back then. Plus I figured it would be another cool skill set to add to the tool box. I have experience with fiber glass mold making in the past- figured I could probably figure this out. Does anyone have any idea if what material companies like DC plastics use to thermo-form their parts and maybe a source? Used the google but not having much luck.
|
8/21/2020 5:44am
chuckie108 wrote:
With the passing of DMC, it got me thinking how much I drooled over his bikes back in the day. Nothing but respect for that guy...
With the passing of DMC, it got me thinking how much I drooled over his bikes back in the day. Nothing but respect for that guy. I'm getting ready to start my '86 KX250 build, and I would love to replicate some of the cool one off plastic parts DMC used to do back then. Plus I figured it would be another cool skill set to add to the tool box. I have experience with fiber glass mold making in the past- figured I could probably figure this out. Does anyone have any idea if what material companies like DC plastics use to thermo-form their parts and maybe a source? Used the google but not having much luck.
I used to injection mold offroad motorcycle parts that were unbreakable. Polypropylene co-polymer with an impact modifier. The parts were hand guards that had to be color matched to the manufacturer color spec.
Vac or thermoforming companies use this material in sheet form. Try googling Plastic sheet polypropylene. You will have many grades to choose from. You will have to look into the physical properties to get the best impact resistance. Try Professionalplastics.com or others listed in this search. Good luck.
chuckie108
8/21/2020 8:29am
I used to injection mold offroad motorcycle parts that were unbreakable. Polypropylene co-polymer with an impact modifier. The parts were hand guards that had to be...
I used to injection mold offroad motorcycle parts that were unbreakable. Polypropylene co-polymer with an impact modifier. The parts were hand guards that had to be color matched to the manufacturer color spec.
Vac or thermoforming companies use this material in sheet form. Try googling Plastic sheet polypropylene. You will have many grades to choose from. You will have to look into the physical properties to get the best impact resistance. Try Professionalplastics.com or others listed in this search. Good luck.
Great info, thank you for the reply. :-)

Post a reply to: Thermo-form plastics?

The Latest