The first Golden State Series

Related:
Create New Tag

8/17/2017 6:40 AM

Anybody remember the first year of the Golden State Series? The one that faded into obscurity after the promoter ripped everybody off at the final event? Amazing how any info/coverage of the events is almost non-existent. I pretty much ruined a new RM250 racing the 250 Int class due to all the mud that year...........

|

8/17/2017 7:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2017 9:35 PM

According to this article, first one that popped up on google and doing the math, it looks like 1975. What year was your RM250? I think the first GSN I remember was around 1979-80. Those were good old days when factory pros could be found racing local tracks.
This article says 37th annual event in 2012.
http://motocross.transworld.net/news/37th-annual-cmc-golden-state-motocross-nationals/#obl8fd6hhVRymsm8.97

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

8/17/2017 7:37 AM

My memory is off a bit, but I think it was 1977.... I borrowed a buddies new YZ250 and raced Saddleback with it.... got third I believe. After that, my new RM showed up. It was a RM 250C. I had a TerryCable fork kit, Thor swingarm, and 17 1/2 Fox airs. The guy that I was in a fierce battle for the series started on a Bultaco 250, then got a new KX250A4 about mid-series.

|

8/17/2017 6:17 PM

Photo

|

9/1/2017 5:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2017 5:58 AM

oldsocalmxr wrote:

My memory is off a bit, but I think it was 1977.... I borrowed a buddies new YZ250 and raced Saddleback with it.... got third ...more

The Bully rider's initials weren't DB were they?

|

9/1/2017 7:16 AM

oldsocalmxr wrote:

My memory is off a bit, but I think it was 1977.... I borrowed a buddies new YZ250 and raced Saddleback with it.... got third ...more

Dropbear wrote:

The Bully rider's initials weren't DB were they?

Wow...... my memory is not so good anymore. I remember it was a ratty blue 250 Pursang. He got the A4 a couple of races before the end of the series. If I recall correctly, the series was decided at the last race (I won). We were both very consistent..... never placed lower than top 5 ish? Crazy series..... rain, rain, and more rain. Ruined a new RM250C doing it. Made the rip-off by the promoter even worse. Oh, well.....wink

|

9/3/2017 10:03 AM

Going to the bigger race series were just short of being at a National. Some of the support riders were often surprised by the local talent. No shortage of fast guys back then!wink

|

6/16/2021 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/16/2021 1:47 PM

oldsocalmxr wrote:

Anybody remember the first year of the Golden State Series? The one that faded into obscurity after the promoter ripped ...more

Ripped everyone off ?? CMC, my dad, ran it for 39 years, every year for 39 years so I don't know what you're talking about. It ran from 1977 to 2015.

S

|

7/1/2021 8:46 AM

I remember standing in the pits at the last race..... Helvetia if memory serves, when Some guy comes out and tells everyone there will be no trophies, contingencies or monies as the promoter had basically skipped out (the exact excuse escapes me.... it's been a few years), but anyone that was there expecting their end of series awards, etc., was seriously disappointed. It was a black eye for the sport. The shop owner I was riding for (along with Andy Jefferson) was not happy after running every race only to have nothing to show for the effort when it was over.

|

7/4/2021 4:55 PM

oldsocalmxr wrote:

Anybody remember the first year of the Golden State Series? The one that faded into obscurity after the promoter ripped ...more

Sondy132001 wrote:

Ripped everyone off ?? CMC, my dad, ran it for 39 years, every year for 39 years so I don't know what you're talking about. It ...more

We raced with CMC from 1980-1989 and there were never any issues. Your Dad, Stu had the best turn outs for Saturday and Sunday. We raced Saturday and stayed to watch all of the big name pros race Sunday.

|