The first Golden State Series

Related:
Create New Tag

8/17/2017 6:40 AM

Anybody remember the first year of the Golden State Series? The one that faded into obscurity after the promoter ripped everybody off at the final event? Amazing how any info/coverage of the events is almost non-existent. I pretty much ruined a new RM250 racing the 250 Int class due to all the mud that year...........

|

8/17/2017 7:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2017 9:35 PM

According to this article, first one that popped up on google and doing the math, it looks like 1975. What year was your RM250? I think the first GSN I remember was around 1979-80. Those were good old days when factory pros could be found racing local tracks.
This article says 37th annual event in 2012.
http://motocross.transworld.net/news/37th-annual-cmc-golden-state-motocross-nationals/#obl8fd6hhVRymsm8.97

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

8/17/2017 7:37 AM

My memory is off a bit, but I think it was 1977.... I borrowed a buddies new YZ250 and raced Saddleback with it.... got third I believe. After that, my new RM showed up. It was a RM 250C. I had a TerryCable fork kit, Thor swingarm, and 17 1/2 Fox airs. The guy that I was in a fierce battle for the series started on a Bultaco 250, then got a new KX250A4 about mid-series.

|

8/17/2017 6:17 PM

Photo

|

9/1/2017 5:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2017 5:58 AM

oldsocalmxr wrote:

My memory is off a bit, but I think it was 1977.... I borrowed a buddies new YZ250 and raced Saddleback with it.... got third I believe. After that, my new RM showed up. It was a RM 250C. I had a TerryCable fork kit, Thor swingarm, and 17 1/2 Fox airs. The guy that I was in a fierce battle for the series started on a Bultaco 250, then got a new KX250A4 about mid-series.

The Bully rider's initials weren't DB were they?

|

9/1/2017 7:16 AM

oldsocalmxr wrote:

Dropbear wrote:

The Bully rider's initials weren't DB were they?

Wow...... my memory is not so good anymore. I remember it was a ratty blue 250 Pursang. He got the A4 a couple of races before the end of the series. If I recall correctly, the series was decided at the last race (I won). We were both very consistent..... never placed lower than top 5 ish? Crazy series..... rain, rain, and more rain. Ruined a new RM250C doing it. Made the rip-off by the promoter even worse. Oh, well.....wink

|

9/1/2017 5:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2017 1:24 PM

I attended I believe a Golden State Series race in the fall of 77 at Saddleback Park. It seems to me the series had been around for a year or two by then. The Saddleback race had a few works riders at it, but I just remember there being a ton of the new 78 Maico Magnums there in the hands of all the privateers. It had rained before the race and the consistency of the track was "TACKY". You could see little knob marks all the way around the track, there was so much traction that day, everybody was way up on their tanks because the bikes were hooking up so well.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

9/2/2017 7:24 AM

Reese95w wrote:

I attended I believe a Golden State Series race in the fall of 77 at Saddleback Park. It seems to me the series had been around for a year or two by then. The Saddleback race had a few works riders at it, but I just remember there being a ton of the new 78 Maico Magnums there in the hands of all the privateers. It had rained before the race and the consistency of the track was "TACKY". You could see little knob marks all the way around the track, there was so much traction that day, everybody was way up on their tanks because the bikes were hooking up so well.

Yep.... that was the year. The RM C models had just come out..... mine wasn't done yet, so I borrowed a '77 YZ 250 from a buddy and took third in the intermediate class. You're right about the track at Saddleback that day....100% traction. I remember a weird drop-off/turn they stuck in there. During practice there was this pile of guys and bikes there.......shocked Maico had just come out with the Magnums..... very cool....

|

9/2/2017 11:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/2/2017 11:26 AM

Reese95w wrote:

oldsocalmxr wrote:

Yep.... that was the year. The RM C models had just come out..... mine wasn't done yet, so I borrowed a '77 YZ 250 from a buddy and took third in the intermediate class. You're right about the track at Saddleback that day....100% traction. I remember a weird drop-off/turn they stuck in there. During practice there was this pile of guys and bikes there.......shocked Maico had just come out with the Magnums..... very cool....

I remember Jim Weinert and Steve Stackable were there on their new works Kawasaki's and the Jones boys had their super trick looking Amex bikes. I also remember Kenny Zart on his blue Bultaco, his is riding style was incredible.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

9/3/2017 10:03 AM

Going to the bigger race series were just short of being at a National. Some of the support riders were often surprised by the local talent. No shortage of fast guys back then!wink

|

9/6/2017 8:12 AM

Reese95w wrote:

I remember Jim Weinert and Steve Stackable were there on their new works Kawasaki's and the Jones boys had their super trick looking Amex bikes. I also remember Kenny Zart on his blue Bultaco, his is riding style was incredible.

The Flying Freckle on his RM125 debut

|