The Last Factory YZ125

nine1seven
Edited Date/Time 3/1/2022 3:39pm
Not sure if this is Old School Moto or not, but I just bought Brett Metcalf's Factory YZ125!

In 2005 everyone in the 125 class had switched to four strokes except Brett and MXA made a big deal of it. They highlight how fuel rules had driven all but this Yamaha of Troy bike from the class. I went through old MXA's and found the issue where they did a story on it called "We Ride the Last Factory YZ125". Nearly everything is the same as on the bike the MXA wrecking crew rode after the 2005 Supercross series. In 2005 everyone in the 125 class was on four strokes except Brett and MXA made a big deal of it. They highlight how the AMA's fuel rules had driven out all but this Yamaha of Troy 125 from the class.

It's pretty badass with all of the Ti and AL hardware and axles, swingarm pivot, Works Clamps, oversize rotors, Etc.

The works Yamaha Billet Al clamps with Mg bar mounts. Check out the Ti stem clamp like some of the current factory bikes have now. Also, the CDI is relocated from the side of the steering head to the frame between the radiators. The Clutch perch is billet Al and features quick adjust, ARC levers and Ti fasteners. The suspension is KYB A-Kit and the forks have that early Launch control that Yamaha Pioneered.

It has a Lightspeed carbon fiber skid plate mounted with "J" hooks, but if you look close you can see that it is a factory frame with tabs welded on. If I can't get the correct factory skid plate I plan to fab one up to utilize these mounts. The Engine fasteners are all either Ti, or in the lower stress areas such as the Ignition and clutch covers, AL.

At some point, I plan to go through it and make it perfect again. From the few minutes I ran it, I can say it is very crisp but it's been so long since I rode a 125, I don't have anything to compare it to. I was told that it has a works transmission and I tend to believe it as it has a very positive feel and neutral is harder to find than any YZ I have ridden before.

I'll post more pics as I get into it. If anyone here has any info about this bike post it up or email me at flesche917@hotmail.com
|
EastFlorida
5/1/2013 9:41am
VERY cool! Good luck with finding out more about the bike....
pete24
5/1/2013 9:54am
i do think its a cool bike but dont you think if the factory relocted the cdi they would have taken the mount off,
newmann
5/1/2013 10:46am
Sweet bike, very cool indeed. That's not the YOT bike that was on Ebay a couple years back is it? Thinking it was not a Metcalfe bike for some reason.
CamP
5/1/2013 10:48am
Sweet bike DJ!

The Shop

nine1seven
5/1/2013 10:54am
pete24 wrote:
i do think its a cool bike but dont you think if the factory relocted the cdi they would have taken the mount off,
Yeah, I wondered about that too. Indeed they did leave the mount on the frame. Here is a pic from MXA's test:

pete24
5/1/2013 11:07am
nice i was gonna say i would take it off but you have to leave it on!
nine1seven
5/1/2013 11:29am
Yeah I'm going to keep it real! The Mechanic for Metty in 2005 was Jared Coles. I wonder if I could get in touch with him somehow? Anybody know him?
Wandell
5/1/2013 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2013 7:44pm
That is awesome! How ironic is it that one of the last factory 125s was a Yamaha? Afterall, it was their YZ250f that started the four stroke revolution in the class and quickly made the two strokes obsolete.
PN27416
5/2/2013 6:33am
Cool piece of mx history you have there.
Maybe Jared is still wrenching on the national level. Post on the main board here looking to see if he's still around.
Someone should know.
Banana_oil
5/2/2013 1:40pm
Very cool bike! I'm curious to know more about the engine mods.
MR. X
5/2/2013 5:51pm
Please tell me you took it for a rip.
Kidkawie
8/31/2013 5:52pm
Wandell wrote:
That is awesome! How ironic is it that one of the last factory 125s was a Yamaha? Afterall, it was their YZ250f that started the four...
That is awesome! How ironic is it that one of the last factory 125s was a Yamaha? Afterall, it was their YZ250f that started the four stroke revolution in the class and quickly made the two strokes obsolete.
No doubt!

Sweet bike! They might have modded the star gear to eliminate hitting neutral. I wonder what it weighs?
nine1seven
8/31/2013 10:12pm
Hey Guys. I haven't done much with this bike...it's been a busy summer! I did take the ignition and clutch covers off and was happy to see a full Hinson clutch set up and everything visible inside the engine is Ti as well.

I can say it is very light but I haven't put it on a scale yet. My plan is to replace the couple aluminum and Ti hardware pieces that are missing. Going from the pics I have been able to find of it in 2005, they didn't use Ti linkage bolts or a Ti front axle probably because it was right on the weight limit. I'll probably go Ti everything to get it lighter but I'll be sure to weigh it first. I'll definitely post pics and details along the way.

I have been able to get in touch with some of the Mechanics that worked at Yamaha of Troy in 2005 and I think I'll be able to get some of the matching hardware, graphics, and other stuff to bring it back to 2005 glory!

Sesker, that's the bike but with different wheels. Got any info for me?

DJ
8/31/2013 10:41pm
nine1seven wrote:
Hey Guys. I haven't done much with this bike...it's been a busy summer! I did take the ignition and clutch covers off and was happy to...
Hey Guys. I haven't done much with this bike...it's been a busy summer! I did take the ignition and clutch covers off and was happy to see a full Hinson clutch set up and everything visible inside the engine is Ti as well.

I can say it is very light but I haven't put it on a scale yet. My plan is to replace the couple aluminum and Ti hardware pieces that are missing. Going from the pics I have been able to find of it in 2005, they didn't use Ti linkage bolts or a Ti front axle probably because it was right on the weight limit. I'll probably go Ti everything to get it lighter but I'll be sure to weigh it first. I'll definitely post pics and details along the way.

I have been able to get in touch with some of the Mechanics that worked at Yamaha of Troy in 2005 and I think I'll be able to get some of the matching hardware, graphics, and other stuff to bring it back to 2005 glory!

DJ
Go to bed old man. LOL

I have seen and ridden the bike. It is nice.
It is the real deal guys.
nine1seven
8/31/2013 10:46pm
718 wrote:
Go to bed old man. LOL

I'm a workaholic....all hours of the day! You gonna help me out on this project Tim?
8/31/2013 10:52pm
718 wrote:
Go to bed old man. LOL

nine1seven wrote:
I'm a workaholic....all hours of the day! You gonna help me out on this project Tim?
Absolutely. After I finish the kawi though.
9/2/2013 7:08pm
Beautiful bike - congrats! You need to see if you can find a front disc cover to make it all Metty-look-a-like.
Plasticwerks(.com) supplied those front disc covers to YOT in 2005. Unfortunately, I didn't see them available anymore on their website.
Moto Mofo
9/3/2013 4:01pm
I would love to have the connections that some of you guys have. If I could own just one dirt bike, this would probably be my first choice. That CR is so freaking sweet, too. Please keep us updated on the progress you make on this thing.
sesker15
9/3/2013 4:54pm
Beautiful bike - congrats! You need to see if you can find a front disc cover to make it all Metty-look-a-like. Plasticwerks(.com) supplied those front disc...
Beautiful bike - congrats! You need to see if you can find a front disc cover to make it all Metty-look-a-like.
Plasticwerks(.com) supplied those front disc covers to YOT in 2005. Unfortunately, I didn't see them available anymore on their website.
Got anymore pictures of this bike?
nytsmaC
9/4/2013 7:45am
nine1seven wrote:
Hey Guys. I haven't done much with this bike...it's been a busy summer! I did take the ignition and clutch covers off and was happy to...

DJ
Strange if they didn't use Ti axles, that's a much better place to save weight than engine bolts. Nice find, that's one cool bike!

According to MXA's scales the stock YZ125 only weighs 199lbs. The AMA weight limit is 194, so I bet that bike is right on the money.
sesker15
9/4/2013 10:02am
Thanks a lot! I got a little project I'm doing. A replica of this bike.
Moto Mofo
9/4/2013 10:14am
Beautiful bike - congrats! You need to see if you can find a front disc cover to make it all Metty-look-a-like. Plasticwerks(.com) supplied those front disc...
Plasticwerks doesn't seem to exist anymore, even though their website is still up. Myself and many others have tried to purchase items from them with no luck.
9/4/2013 2:14pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
Plasticwerks doesn't seem to exist anymore, even though their website is still up. Myself and many others have tried to purchase items from them with no...
Plasticwerks doesn't seem to exist anymore, even though their website is still up. Myself and many others have tried to purchase items from them with no luck.
Bummer. When I went to Orlando SX 2005, I asked one of the YOT mechanics what brand the front disc cover was and he told me Plasticwerks. I ordered from them as soon as we returned from the SX (well, back in '05) and made my '05 YZ125 look a little more Metty-look-a-likeGrinning
Now with a screaming Eric Gorr 144 kit ported more mid-topSmile

OP - sorry if I hijacked your thread, and turned it into a "hey - look at me"Woohoo

Let us know how the bike runs etc. Very happy for you that you scored that bike!

sesker15 - please post pix when you finish your YOT replica.
nine1seven
9/7/2013 11:56am
Thanks for posting all that guys! I'm looking forward to watching your build Sesker! Feel free to post up pics on this thread if you want. Let me know if I can help at all with those parts we talked about.

I'm bummed about those disc guards and front numberplates being Plasticwerks. I had a hard time tracking down the Factory Honda style ones for past projects. Mine has a stock front number plate which is what it looks like they ran indoors. I'll keep an eye peeled for Plasticwerks disc guard and front number plate. In the MXA test the front number plate is blue and has two large open areas to let air into the radiators. I'm guessing that it's a Polisport piece, but we'll see what I can find. If any of you come across something, Please Let me know.

It does have a Ti rear axle and swingarm pivot with aluminum nuts. I guess they decided that the linkage bolts would make it too light and they are high stress. The front axle would only save a couple oz anyway. Everything else is there.

Here is a pic of the Hinson setup with Ti hardware. I was pumped to see that this one is intact. Usually they get stripped of all the cool/expensive stuff!

sesker15
9/8/2013 6:31pm
nine1seven wrote:
Thanks for posting all that guys! I'm looking forward to watching your build Sesker! Feel free to post up pics on this thread if you want...
Thanks for posting all that guys! I'm looking forward to watching your build Sesker! Feel free to post up pics on this thread if you want. Let me know if I can help at all with those parts we talked about.

I'm bummed about those disc guards and front numberplates being Plasticwerks. I had a hard time tracking down the Factory Honda style ones for past projects. Mine has a stock front number plate which is what it looks like they ran indoors. I'll keep an eye peeled for Plasticwerks disc guard and front number plate. In the MXA test the front number plate is blue and has two large open areas to let air into the radiators. I'm guessing that it's a Polisport piece, but we'll see what I can find. If any of you come across something, Please Let me know.

It does have a Ti rear axle and swingarm pivot with aluminum nuts. I guess they decided that the linkage bolts would make it too light and they are high stress. The front axle would only save a couple oz anyway. Everything else is there.

Here is a pic of the Hinson setup with Ti hardware. I was pumped to see that this one is intact. Usually they get stripped of all the cool/expensive stuff!

Is the bike you have a 2006? I ask because of the different plastic,wave disk, and the 2006 YoT team graphics.
Bono480
1/2/2014 8:33am
Hey nine1seven,
That's a sweet looking bike!!! Id love to have something like that, especially with Brett being an Aussie too.

Have you done anything more with it??

Post a reply to: The Last Factory YZ125

The Latest