The 203 lb 1980 YZ/OW Hurricane replica

Related:
Create New Tag

6/9/2021 11:51 AM

Bought this bike about 5 years ago and it wasn't nearly as horrible as most of the "donor" bikes I start with, as it actually ran and had most of the stock parts intact. I stripped it all down and all the stock pieces that I wasn't going to re-use were donated to other guys that needed them.
Started with blasting and PC'ing the frame, found a 1" longer works style swingarm (similar to the 80 Factory bikes) that really helped reducing the bikes tendency to wheelie everytime the throttle was cracked.
Found a set of 43 mm Kayabas and used RaceTechs Gold valves and had the stanchions titanium nitride coated (oddly enough AHRMA or AMA Vintage rules do not address any suspension coatings, so in my mind that made it legal---and I've been thru a half dozen tech inspections without an issue, so..... ) Anyway also landed a set of super trick billet triples for those , refinished them and anodised them in "anemic black" , Frankie Zee from MX Bonz hooked me up with a set of his super cool bar mounts . The cone pipe is from JEMCO and the silencer is an RCM Richter style . The pipe/silencer combo saved over 5lbs alone. I turned the hubs down and polished them and made aluminum/drilled bearing spacers. I found a DLS front backing plate a used billet brake arms that I drilled out as well. Made alloy wheel spacers front and rear. All brackets ,pipe hangers ,etc were made out of aluminum. All major fasteners (engine mounts,triple clamps,etc) are Titanium, all others in non-stress areas are aluminum. Used an aluminum kicker from a later model, another piece from RCM is the clean rear brake stay. I had an alloy tank made for a 78 YZ125, its thinner,lighter and just looks so much better. Obviously I had to custom fab some cool alloy tank mounts, but they came out pretty clean. With my Vintage moto's typically being only 5 laps ,it holds plenty of fuel. Tom Morgan did the port work and I used a 38HV Lectron carb, and a PVL ignition. The bike absolutely rips, handles great and comes in at 203lbs with oil,but no fuel. 208lbs on the gate ,ready to race. Thats without using Titanium axles or Mono spring, if so I could get it below 200 pretty easily, but even I have cost limitations !!! lmao
This is the bike I lent to Darryn Durham a few years back at MidOhio Vintage days when he flew home for the weekend and was hanging in our pits (he's friends with my daughter and son-in-law) He wanted to do the Holeshot competition but didn't have a bike so I reluctantly gave him that bike (I was going to use it,but used my FMF 125 instead) he went on to win it and I got eliminated in the semi-finals ,lol.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/9/2021 12:28 PM

Nicely done!

|

6/9/2021 2:48 PM

Wow 👏 hurricane wishes his was that nice lol

|

6/9/2021 3:39 PM

Stunning bike- like all your bikes!
I really love the clean hubs- well all of it really.
Interesting also Darryn Dunham riding it- what a bike and lovely work.
w00t

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one

6/10/2021 12:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/10/2021 12:04 PM

I can tell that you enjoyed building That bike.That is the nicest YZ I've ever seen.
It needs an aluminum boost bottle

|

6/11/2021 5:46 AM

Not really a Yamaha guy.... BUT, that is one bad ass YZ! Nice build!

|

6/11/2021 8:28 AM

OldPro277 wrote:

Bought this bike about 5 years ago and it wasn't nearly as horrible as most of the "donor" bikes I start with, as it actually ...more

Awesome build!

|

1983 YZ 250K, 1983 CR 250, 1982 CT110, 1978 Maico 440

6/14/2021 10:17 AM

Wow! Great work...can't imagine how much you have invested in it, but it is amazing! Are you going to ride/race it?

|

6/14/2021 10:32 AM

mxracer106 wrote:

Wow! Great work...can't imagine how much you have invested in it, but it is amazing! Are you going to ride/race it?

Been raced many,many times since 2018. In fact ,since Im nursing my ACL/MCL/PCL tears, my son in law raced it at the AHRMA National yesterday in the 250GP class and absolutely dominated both moto's. Of course, he would have won on a stocker but maybe not by such a large margin,lol.

|

6/18/2021 5:11 PM

Nice..🥃🥃🥃

|