Taper Cut

MaxPower
I have a question about my PVL. I got one for my 83 KX a couple years ago but never got my bike to run right. Never not once could I get it to kick over , only bump start. I set the timing dead on. And rechecked over and over about 20 times. Spun the stator to the extremes in the slots to test if starting became easier. Which it didnt. Sent the entire unit to PVL to test and they said nothing is wrong, I even ran a ground wire to the coil with the expensive plug.
When I install the PVL rotor it only sits on the crank taper 16mm or 5/8". Could it be the taper of the PVL rotor isnt cut deep enough and wont allow the magnets to align or sit where they were designed to under the stator coils so that the ignition can generate enough electric at low revs to light the motor? i
I dont know what else to think. I just cant imagine what the problem is. Especially since it was tested by PVL and got a thumbs up.
Where could I sent this rotor to have it taper bored deeper? Can it be taper bored deeper? I have a spare crank I could ship to get dimensions from. Its worth a try otherwise I have 500 dollar ignition going out on the curb
|
MaxPower
4/11/2019 4:41pm
That would have been helpful wouldn't it ? Thanks Joe.
4/11/2019 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2019 6:58pm
Not sure about all of the PVL's, but before the advent of those remote electric starters used in flat track today, you had better be able to push an XR750 in a run at least 10 MPH to bump start it, or they would not start with a PVL much below that.

Low speed voltage was poor. I believe it had the same troubles on larger bore two strokes. Maybe those were the early systems. Surely they have addressed that problem by now, no ?
MaxPower
4/12/2019 6:52am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2019 6:54am
The bike lights right up with the stock ignition.
I understand that the pvl has low voltage output at slow rpm. That's why I was thinking the magnets werent aligned properly. The only funky thing I've noticed with the installation was how little of the rotor was sitting on the crank. So that's where I was thinking the problem could be. The bike runs great and the PVL isn't a necessity, but it's paid for. At this point I have so much junk cluttering up my living spaces, if it's not being used,it's going to the curb

Post a reply to: Taper Cut

The Latest