Super trick XR200R racer for my daughter

OldPro277
3/17/2023 6:46pm
swatdoc wrote:
Hi Mick - love ur XR200! I just picked up a '96 myself to start building for the 2x4 class. For forks I'll either run Simons...

Hi Mick - love ur XR200! I just picked up a '96 myself to start building for the 2x4 class.

For forks I'll either run Simons like you, or use one of the several pairs or 43mm forks I have. How much travel are you running in your forks? I think Simons can typically go from about 9" up to 12". My 43mm forks are definitely about 12" of travel. So either way, I need to bump my travel in the rear substantially. How much travel are you running in the rear? Do you know offhand how much longer that XR350 swingarm is than the stock 200? and finally how much work is needed to fit that swingarm to the 200?

Thanks

John

OldPro277 wrote:
Thank, it certainly turned out pretty cool-  The 85 XR350 arm is pretty much a bolt on for you 96 . But you'll need the axle...

Thank, it certainly turned out pretty cool-  The 85 XR350 arm is pretty much a bolt on for you 96 . But you'll need the axle, linkage (its aluminum too) and the chain guide. On the 82 it was a little more complicated, I had to mill off a little of the linkage mount on one side and make a spacer for the other side, and fabbed up a rear brake cable mount and welded it to the top of the arm. But wasn't bad.  We are running about 10" travel on the 82 with the Simons. My daughter is only 5'5" and likes to be able to touch with both feet.  Im almost done with another ( a 91 this time) thats even wilder than the 82.  Custom alloy tank with shrouds to hold dual oil coolers , crazy motor mods,  1980 Red Rocket front end, alloy arm and a lot of other trickery goin on . I'll post pics in a few weeks.

I see that the 250/350 arms are getting scarce on ebay. When I was looking , I was buying them complete for $ 45-55 ,lmao. I have a few still in the shop ,but keeping them for future builds most likely

swatdoc wrote:

Can't wait to see the pics of the new bike. Is it one of Kenny Vaughns exotic masterpieces??

Well…. Kenny did design and built the alloy tank and shrouds for the dual oil cooler that I wanted to do. But everything else was developed and fabbed up in my old ,semi-deranged mind,lol.  But Kenny is a good egg, and was a pleasure to work with on  that part of the project. 

Since my daughter won all 8 National Womens Expert divisions in 2022 —( all 4 AHRMA titles and all 4 AMA titles) a semi-famous East coast 4-stroke engine builder contacted us and offered to do her XR motors this year, and since I’m much more acquainted with 2strokes and making them rip, and 4strokes are like medieval Alchemy to me , I took him up on it…… sooo I’ll have the complete rolling chassis done in a week or 2, but I’m assuming we’ll be waiting a few more weeks for the finished motor.  But I may post some pics of the bike before the headwork is done. Its definitely is coming out extremely nice.

swatdoc
3/22/2023 4:31pm

next question sir - what was your decision to run the CR250 front hub/brake?

How doe the weight compare to the stock XR assembly? I assume due to the larger diameter that the braking is at least somewhat stronger with the 250 setup?

Getting ready to build wheels for my bike. i already have a CR250 hub and brake, so trying to decide if I should go the same route. Just trying not to add unnecessary weight if possible.

Thanks

OldPro277
3/25/2023 9:09am
swatdoc wrote:
next question sir - what was your decision to run the CR250 front hub/brake? How doe the weight compare to the stock XR assembly? I assume...

next question sir - what was your decision to run the CR250 front hub/brake?

How doe the weight compare to the stock XR assembly? I assume due to the larger diameter that the braking is at least somewhat stronger with the 250 setup?

Getting ready to build wheels for my bike. i already have a CR250 hub and brake, so trying to decide if I should go the same route. Just trying not to add unnecessary weight if possible.

Thanks

Sorry for the delay.  I went with the CR250 hub for 2 main reasons, definitely bigger diameter for better braking, and it was easier to make the Simons work with the CR backing plate. The mistake I made on the red 82 ,was using the stock XR clamps to maintain the same offset ,and boring them to accept the larger Simons tubes. That part worked fine, but I didn’t realize that the XR clamps were slightly narrower than the CR clamps ,so the CR hub needed some machining on the brake plate to center properly and had to shorten the brake cam and cam lever to clear the lower part of the Simons.  Dumb ass move, but it all worked out. If I had used the CR triples, it would have saved me a bunch of milling time. I used the CR triples,cartridge forks and hub on the new build and it was a direct bolt on. No fiddling around at all. Hope that helped. I’ve learned much more than I wanted to about these XR200,s lmao 😂. Built an exclusive woods bike for her (won 2 National titles on it -Womens Expert XCountry) the red 82 Moto bike that gets raced sporadically (she’s faster on her 82 YZ- obviously) have the new WILD one 80%complete for this years AHRMA PV 100 class , one for her best friend to race this year ,and my son-in-law just grabbed one a few months ago to build for that new AHRMA class . So feel free to ask anything you need an answer to, I’ve probably been there 

OleTex
4/3/2023 6:34am

You are a very talented builder sir! 

The Shop

OldPro277
4/6/2023 1:52pm
OleTex wrote:

You are a very talented builder sir! 

I appreciate that Tex

swatdoc
4/6/2023 3:48pm

Honestly you would have had to machine the CR250 hub anyway. On my ‘79 CR250 I had as a kid it specifically showed in the instructions to mill .250” off the brake backing plate.

im still debating to run stock hub or the CR250. I weighed the wheel sets, and the 250 was about 3/4 lb heavier. I think I’ll try the XR first , then if I don’t like it, it’s just a set of spokes to switch to the 250. 

10/7/2023 8:04pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Myself , my 31 yo Daughter and Son-in-law all race Vintage X-Country and Moto. My daughter just started racing last season and has done remarkably well...
Myself , my 31 yo Daughter and Son-in-law all race Vintage X-Country and Moto. My daughter just started racing last season and has done remarkably well . So well in fact, that the AHRMA board bumped her into the Expert class, so I figured "what the hell, might as well build her an Expert type of machine" I found a decent 82 XR200R ,but the Cam bearing was bad so obviously that meant an entire frame up ,super modded , trick-out ,high performance rebuild was needed !!
I wanted to trim some weight off the bike as it weighed in at 246 when I got it home. I used a lot of aluminum and titanium hardware, drilled some holes, used later model alloy triples and stem, (saved 2.2 lbs there) the stock steel swingarm was replaced by an 85 XR350R alloy swinger, that required a good bit of machining to get it properly fitted (saved a whopping 7.5 lbs there!),used the XR350 rear hub too. I had to fab and weld a rear brake cable mount on that arm because the 350 uses a brake rod instead of a cable. Obviously dumped the lights,extra wiring, and fender mounted tool bag. trimmed the gigantic skid plate back to a more realistic size.

Performance mods were -- entire engine was torn down ,with new seals,bearings , bored .030 over with a Wossner piston, went with a mild Megacycle Cam ,stock ignition, stock re-jetted carb , super modified the restrictive air box, built a custom stainless exhaust from pieces from Cone engineering (great dudes) . To improve the braking ,got a 78 CR250 front hub ,laced Dubya spokes to an Excel rim , fitted up a set of Simons forks, had to bore the clamps 2 mm to accept the larger tubes. front brake mechanism needed machined to make clearance, but all came together nicely , custom gripper seat cover from EVO in the UK with her sponsors ( should be MY name,lol) name stenciled on . Added some bling with some Ano billet parts , Cerakoted the hubs in flat black and the backing plates in dark bronze, did the engine in Tahitian red ,powdered the frame the same. Just broke it in and the bike rips .Much stronger than I expected, and got the weight down to 223 wet.

She's been undefeated so far in her short race career (hence AHRMA's decision to bump her) and hopefully this bike will help her continue the streak . And she selected my AMA amateur number from the 70's to compete with.. Thats my girlCool

I like your rear end set up. I've located the swing arm. What are you using for a shock and linkage?

10/7/2023 8:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2023 8:45pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Myself , my 31 yo Daughter and Son-in-law all race Vintage X-Country and Moto. My daughter just started racing last season and has done remarkably well...
Myself , my 31 yo Daughter and Son-in-law all race Vintage X-Country and Moto. My daughter just started racing last season and has done remarkably well . So well in fact, that the AHRMA board bumped her into the Expert class, so I figured "what the hell, might as well build her an Expert type of machine" I found a decent 82 XR200R ,but the Cam bearing was bad so obviously that meant an entire frame up ,super modded , trick-out ,high performance rebuild was needed !!
I wanted to trim some weight off the bike as it weighed in at 246 when I got it home. I used a lot of aluminum and titanium hardware, drilled some holes, used later model alloy triples and stem, (saved 2.2 lbs there) the stock steel swingarm was replaced by an 85 XR350R alloy swinger, that required a good bit of machining to get it properly fitted (saved a whopping 7.5 lbs there!),used the XR350 rear hub too. I had to fab and weld a rear brake cable mount on that arm because the 350 uses a brake rod instead of a cable. Obviously dumped the lights,extra wiring, and fender mounted tool bag. trimmed the gigantic skid plate back to a more realistic size.

Performance mods were -- entire engine was torn down ,with new seals,bearings , bored .030 over with a Wossner piston, went with a mild Megacycle Cam ,stock ignition, stock re-jetted carb , super modified the restrictive air box, built a custom stainless exhaust from pieces from Cone engineering (great dudes) . To improve the braking ,got a 78 CR250 front hub ,laced Dubya spokes to an Excel rim , fitted up a set of Simons forks, had to bore the clamps 2 mm to accept the larger tubes. front brake mechanism needed machined to make clearance, but all came together nicely , custom gripper seat cover from EVO in the UK with her sponsors ( should be MY name,lol) name stenciled on . Added some bling with some Ano billet parts , Cerakoted the hubs in flat black and the backing plates in dark bronze, did the engine in Tahitian red ,powdered the frame the same. Just broke it in and the bike rips .Much stronger than I expected, and got the weight down to 223 wet.

She's been undefeated so far in her short race career (hence AHRMA's decision to bump her) and hopefully this bike will help her continue the streak . And she selected my AMA amateur number from the 70's to compete with.. Thats my girlCool

I like your rear end set up. I've located the swing arm. What are you using for a shock and linkage?

Also... I just got an 83 XR200R I was thinking of going with a 1981/82 CR250 front end for the double leading shoe brake, along with the improved fork. Do you have any helpful input on this idea? Will the triple tree bolt right up? If I go that route I'm thinking maybe the 81/82 swing arm link and shock may work out as well. Also, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I've located an XR350 swing arm. If I go that route, what linkage and shock do you recommend? I'm in SoCal but I race the Henryetta team race each year and want to finally build my own bike. You've inspired me for sure.

OldPro277
10/8/2023 4:36pm
OldPro277 wrote:

Also... I just got an 83 XR200R I was thinking of going with a 1981/82 CR250 front end for the double leading shoe brake, along with...

Also... I just got an 83 XR200R I was thinking of going with a 1981/82 CR250 front end for the double leading shoe brake, along with the improved fork. Do you have any helpful input on this idea? Will the triple tree bolt right up? If I go that route I'm thinking maybe the 81/82 swing arm link and shock may work out as well. Also, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I've located an XR350 swing arm. If I go that route, what linkage and shock do you recommend? I'm in SoCal but I race the Henryetta team race each year and want to finally build my own bike. You've inspired me for sure.

I used the 85 XR350 aluminum linkage with a Hagon shock. RaceTech makes a great shock for the XR’s too. 

Post a reply to: Super trick XR200R racer for my daughter

The Latest