Super trick XR200R racer for my daughter

OldPro277
Edited Date/Time 5/29/2022 7:57pm
Myself , my 31 yo Daughter and Son-in-law all race Vintage X-Country and Moto. My daughter just started racing last season and has done remarkably well . So well in fact, that the AHRMA board bumped her into the Expert class, so I figured "what the hell, might as well build her an Expert type of machine" I found a decent 82 XR200R ,but the Cam bearing was bad so obviously that meant an entire frame up ,super modded , trick-out ,high performance rebuild was needed !!
I wanted to trim some weight off the bike as it weighed in at 246 when I got it home. I used a lot of aluminum and titanium hardware, drilled some holes, used later model alloy triples and stem, (saved 2.2 lbs there) the stock steel swingarm was replaced by an 85 XR350R alloy swinger, that required a good bit of machining to get it properly fitted (saved a whopping 7.5 lbs there!),used the XR350 rear hub too. I had to fab and weld a rear brake cable mount on that arm because the 350 uses a brake rod instead of a cable. Obviously dumped the lights,extra wiring, and fender mounted tool bag. trimmed the gigantic skid plate back to a more realistic size.

Performance mods were -- entire engine was torn down ,with new seals,bearings , bored .030 over with a Wossner piston, went with a mild Megacycle Cam ,stock ignition, stock re-jetted carb , super modified the restrictive air box, built a custom stainless exhaust from pieces from Cone engineering (great dudes) . To improve the braking ,got a 78 CR250 front hub ,laced Dubya spokes to an Excel rim , fitted up a set of Simons forks, had to bore the clamps 2 mm to accept the larger tubes. front brake mechanism needed machined to make clearance, but all came together nicely , custom gripper seat cover from EVO in the UK with her sponsors ( should be MY name,lol) name stenciled on . Added some bling with some Ano billet parts , Cerakoted the hubs in flat black and the backing plates in dark bronze, did the engine in Tahitian red ,powdered the frame the same. Just broke it in and the bike rips .Much stronger than I expected, and got the weight down to 223 wet.

She's been undefeated so far in her short race career (hence AHRMA's decision to bump her) and hopefully this bike will help her continue the streak . And she selected my AMA amateur number from the 70's to compete with.. Thats my girlCool

|
kijen
5/6/2021 3:46pm
Yep very cool, not sure why the new playbikes cant be as nice. The new crfs trail bikes are way to heavy.
5/6/2021 3:58pm
The 85 thru 91 rear shock with the adjustable comp/rebound. Will fit it does raise the rear up by like half an inch. Had one on this 82 I built up a few years ago. Much better dampening and it opens up more rear spring choices.

The Shop

Kdunkin
Fantasy
1621st
5/6/2021 4:59pm
Now that's bad ass Awesome build and equally awesome she wants to race.
Steve F
5/7/2021 2:47am
Excellent job!!! Love it! Want it more!!SmileWinkCool
PK97
5/7/2021 12:24pm
Very nice and trick!
OldPro277
5/7/2021 5:31pm
You always do great work oldpro. Interested in fixing up my rickman motor?
Thanks, and we ARE only about an hour or so apart,lol
a22
5/8/2021 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2021 4:35pm
That is damn lovely OldPro!!
All your bikes seem lovely! (Did you sell that superb 1980 RM100 DG bike?)

Best of luck to your daughter on this lovely bike build.

...My slightly older Sister was also really fast- was one of the first Girl racers in UK - way back- like 1978 she actually had abit of a race with a few of the quick National youth top riders (Boys), couldn't believe how quick she was. She was fast. Was a right 'Tomboy' (English expression for a girl who was as tough as boys!) She was an animal on a bike, very skilful.

Alot of the clubs did not allow girls to race back then- but my Sis could take it to the best of them! She stopped riding because it was so hard to get entries to races back then for girls- but man- was she fast!! She still talks about the times and days.
OldPro277
5/8/2021 5:21pm
a22 wrote:
That is damn lovely OldPro!! All your bikes seem lovely! (Did you sell that superb 1980 RM100 DG bike?) Best of luck to your daughter on...
That is damn lovely OldPro!!
All your bikes seem lovely! (Did you sell that superb 1980 RM100 DG bike?)

Best of luck to your daughter on this lovely bike build.

...My slightly older Sister was also really fast- was one of the first Girl racers in UK - way back- like 1978 she actually had abit of a race with a few of the quick National youth top riders (Boys), couldn't believe how quick she was. She was fast. Was a right 'Tomboy' (English expression for a girl who was as tough as boys!) She was an animal on a bike, very skilful.

Alot of the clubs did not allow girls to race back then- but my Sis could take it to the best of them! She stopped riding because it was so hard to get entries to races back then for girls- but man- was she fast!! She still talks about the times and days.
Thanks ,I appreciate the kind words. Yes the DG 100 went to Michael Holigan for his collection as did the primo YZ60,I’m hoping they make it into his Moto~themed restaurant. The ultr rare 75 CH industries CR125 is promised to a buyer in SoCal . I’ll post that one before it actually leaves. It may be my finest build of them all.
Yes I am proud of my daughter, although her successes are somewhat of a surprise since she had never raced ,and hadn’t even ridden a bike in over 10 years. 2 short practice sessions at home and she wanted to give it a go. That was last July ,and she has won 9 in a row,including a National , I like to think it must be in the genetics ,lol
captmoto
5/8/2021 7:40pm
I know AHRMA is picky with the rules so what class does she rune that in or are they less rules crazy in the women's class?
5/8/2021 9:36pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2021 10:21pm
Friend of mine was a New England enduro A rider in the 80s on an XR200. He could give up lengths on the straight dirt roads to everyone else then just ride by them in the tight stuff. He was just dialed in to that bike.
a22
5/9/2021 1:18pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Thanks ,I appreciate the kind words. Yes the DG 100 went to Michael Holigan for his collection as did the primo YZ60,I’m hoping they make it...
Thanks ,I appreciate the kind words. Yes the DG 100 went to Michael Holigan for his collection as did the primo YZ60,I’m hoping they make it into his Moto~themed restaurant. The ultr rare 75 CH industries CR125 is promised to a buyer in SoCal . I’ll post that one before it actually leaves. It may be my finest build of them all.
Yes I am proud of my daughter, although her successes are somewhat of a surprise since she had never raced ,and hadn’t even ridden a bike in over 10 years. 2 short practice sessions at home and she wanted to give it a go. That was last July ,and she has won 9 in a row,including a National , I like to think it must be in the genetics ,lol
Hahaha- that will be it OldPro- the Genetics!

Strangely sound similar your Daughter and my Sis... my Sis only competed in about 2-3 races before quitting(although she rode for like 3 years). In the last race she did was 3 boys who were like top 10 in youth Nationals (or better), she got like 2nd place start, lost 2nd place to one of the quick boys, then the 3rd quick National level lad got her- she took him back a few corners later! He got her again shortly after then a lap later she fell... that was her last race.

As said girls were barely allowed to race back then, only a few clubs allowed it, I previously said was about 1978, was earlier, think like 1976-77.

Always felt bad for her when she quit as she loved riding. My Dad continued to take me, she was faster than me and more skilful. Also we (our family) used to be Road race fans, Dad used to take us to some of the big Road races, Barry Sheene, Roberts, Agostini etc. Barry Sheene used to sit my Sis on his lap (she was about 8 years old) and do interviews, he really inspired her. Probably why she was so quick!

Super memories and best of luck to your fast Daughter!
Show some more of your lovely bikes if you can!
OldPro277
5/9/2021 2:42pm
captmoto wrote:
I know AHRMA is picky with the rules so what class does she rune that in or are they less rules crazy in the women's class?
Sorry for the delayed response, just got back from this weekends event. Actually rained and snowed today !!! Damn cold, but my son-in-law,daughter and I all won our classes so that warmed us up a bit ,lol . And to top it off the PVR/AHRMA guys used a pic of me on the plaques Tongue .

But to answer your question, her 82 can be raced in Women’s PostVintage Expert with no suspension travel limit. She races a 74 Husky MK frame with a 73 Honda XL250 engine shoehorned in Women’s Vintage Expert. That’s the 74 and prior class with 7” front and rear 4” travel as I’m sure you’re aware of. I’m finishing up a super badass 74 YZ125 Noguchi for her to race the Moto events,since her 74 Husky/Honda is bit too heavy and slow for MX, but more than adequate for the tighter ,slimier XCountry events.

A22~sounds like Sis was a real natural ripper, too bad she quit so early . And yes , I’ll post some more of my bikes including the Noguchi, my 82 ProCircuit/Anaheim Husky CR250 and the 203lb Hurricane 1980 Unsure YZ250.
5/10/2021 11:28pm
That thing is awesome. credit to you! Love those XR 200's !
Bret
5/11/2021 12:51pm
Great build! I have an '83 that has been modified (not nearly as much as yours) for MX and it is a blast to ride. After racing mine for close to 8 years I have learned a few things that you might want to consider. I found that there is a huge gap between third and fourth gears. I ended up with 12/52 gearing and it solved the problem. I don't use first or second gear but since it is a six speed, the upper four gears are plenty. Heavy rear tires really eat up horsepower. I run Michellin Starcross Soft and save a couple pounds. They are excellent tires and wear very well. I have a 30mm carb with a custom made intake manifold and it revs out much better than with the stock carb. I also have a 1mm larger intake valve to help it breathe. I got rid of the airbox and run an open K&N filter. VP T4 really helps it run strong too. The fuel tank is from a 1980 CR80. It requires a bit of tunnel reshaping to fit. The rear frame loop can be cut off to save a pound or two. I just used sheet metal screws to attach the fender to the seat base. I always run the largest oversize piston available. When the cylinder wears out I just pick up a 185 ATC cylinder off ebay and have it bored out. It is the same cylinder. I had Race Tech set up the suspension for my weight. It was expensive but completely worth it. If it is bottoming out I rarely feel it. I weigh 230 pounds and start in third gear and get holeshots regularly. Again, your bike is stunning!

5/13/2021 4:01am
Bret wrote:
Great build! I have an '83 that has been modified (not nearly as much as yours) for MX and it is a blast to ride. After...
Great build! I have an '83 that has been modified (not nearly as much as yours) for MX and it is a blast to ride. After racing mine for close to 8 years I have learned a few things that you might want to consider. I found that there is a huge gap between third and fourth gears. I ended up with 12/52 gearing and it solved the problem. I don't use first or second gear but since it is a six speed, the upper four gears are plenty. Heavy rear tires really eat up horsepower. I run Michellin Starcross Soft and save a couple pounds. They are excellent tires and wear very well. I have a 30mm carb with a custom made intake manifold and it revs out much better than with the stock carb. I also have a 1mm larger intake valve to help it breathe. I got rid of the airbox and run an open K&N filter. VP T4 really helps it run strong too. The fuel tank is from a 1980 CR80. It requires a bit of tunnel reshaping to fit. The rear frame loop can be cut off to save a pound or two. I just used sheet metal screws to attach the fender to the seat base. I always run the largest oversize piston available. When the cylinder wears out I just pick up a 185 ATC cylinder off ebay and have it bored out. It is the same cylinder. I had Race Tech set up the suspension for my weight. It was expensive but completely worth it. If it is bottoming out I rarely feel it. I weigh 230 pounds and start in third gear and get holeshots regularly. Again, your bike is stunning!

Another awesome looking ride,
MaxPower
5/15/2021 1:41pm
Omg Old Pro. That is one of my very favorite vintage builds ever. I love it and I'm sure your daughter does too.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
5/15/2021 2:17pm
That could possibly be the nicest XR 200 ever built, Love it !
OldPro277
5/15/2021 5:55pm
Thanks guys.., I really do appreciate the comments. In means a lot coming from guys that know what they’re looking at and realize the time and engineering that goes into some of these builds. We are dialing it in on the vintage track we have on our farm between her house and ours . The planned debut of that bike will be at an AHRMA National June 12/13. In the meantime she’s been racing the 74 Husky/Honda in the Vintage class and her “practice” XR200 in the Post Vintage.

Hopefully the 74 Noguchi Stage 2 125 will be ready for that one too, so she has something a bit quicker and lighter than her Husky MK framed~Honda XL powered XCountry machine
MaxPower
5/18/2021 11:55am
Do you have a picture of your other bike?
If it weren't for the internet I would never believe that there are so many cool women into riding.
OldPro277
5/18/2021 12:38pm
MaxPower wrote:
Do you have a picture of your other bike? If it weren't for the internet I would never believe that there are so many cool women...
Do you have a picture of your other bike?
If it weren't for the internet I would never believe that there are so many cool women into riding.
Max-- which one are you wanting to see ? I have 22 vintage racers I've built at home. I posted the FMF RM125, the works edition XR75, the Husky 175GP, the DG RM100 , my DRZ125 ECC pitbike,obviously the XR200 and maybe one or two other ones . But soon I'll post the Noguchi YZ, the 1980 Hannah OW replica , the ProCircuit/Anaheim Husky CR250, my Historic class 76 RM250 . The Hannah bike has been done for a couple of years and raced a half dozen times ,just got around to taking pics of it last weekend actually. I'll probably post that one in a day or two. Super cool/fast/light bike. Got it down to 203 lbs with oil, no fuel.
MaxPower
5/19/2021 3:26am
I was asking about the 74 Husky/Honda that your daughter was just racing
You must spend a lot of time in the garage
OldPro277
5/19/2021 5:18am
A bit too much.,lol,although it never seems to be enough. As most of us know,keeping vintage bikes maintained and race ready is a time consuming deal. Throw in a few “builds in process” and it gets nutty. Fortunately I have a wife that is pretty into it (especially since our daughter races now) .Also helps that I cut my 80 rounds of golf per year down to 0 four years ago when I got back into riding/racing .after a 35 year break.

As far as the Husky/Honda — it started out as a purely, VERY experimental piece and was built as such. I will have to say ,it is NOT very photogenic,in its current state. The plan was to race it to work out the bugs and THEN tear it down and “prettify” it. But, since she’s got 12 races on it with only 1 DNF ,It seems to have proven itself,so this winter it will get the treatment. Actually the only pics I have of it is of my daughter on it at the races. I’ll take some pics of it possibly tonight when I get home from the office.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
5/19/2021 12:55pm
Sad you're not bringing that out to Twilight Farms this weekend. I'm not going to make the Reynoldsville national, so I won't be able to give that thing the in-person once over. Very nice build.

Post a reply to: Super trick XR200R racer for my daughter

The Latest