Simons forks?

Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 3:36pm
You guys remember the yellow Simons forks? Ihad a pair on my '80 Husky 250. Tried to ride the thing in the pro class. Husky in their infinite wisdom didn't use clips to hold fork seals in back then, was really fun when they blew... hence the Simons forks.
|
4/27/2006 2:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:59pm
[quote="ARKMXER27":3b91d]You guys remember the yellow Simons forks? Ihad a pair on my '80 Husky 250. Tried to ride the thing in the pro class. Husky in their infinite wisdom didn't use clips to hold fork seals in back then, was really fun when they blew... hence the Simons forks.[/quote:3b91d]

I had the anti-cav system in otherwise stock forks on my 85 CR250. I wasn't fast enough to really get much benefit out of it, but the old fella I bought the bike from sure did!
FishBone
4/27/2006 3:01pm
I had a 79 yz 125 with Simons forks/triple tree along with a Fox Shox on the rear .. the thing handled like a dream compared to stock
se7enmx
4/27/2006 7:47pm
Always ran them. My 86 Honda, forks and Ohlin rear shock. Sweet handler.
yzvet
4/28/2006 8:42am
Yep I had them on my 78 RM 125. Fox shox on the back with a LOP banana swingarm. You needed a step ladder to get on the thing LOL

The Shop

drmarkr
4/28/2006 11:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:59pm
[quote="yzvet":fe2c2]Yep I had them on my 78 RM 125. Fox shox on the back with a LOP banana swingarm. You needed a step ladder to get on the thing LOL[/quote:fe2c2]

Ditto for me...

I dropped the big bucks (more than Simon's) for a set of the billet machined KYB's, but they were so friggin adjustable that I could never get them set up. Put the Simons back on.

Bet you had a Preston Petty front fender and those cool translucent side panels and front plate also, right? Probably ran Metzler tires and had the aftermarket CDI box that I'm forgetting the name of.

Oh yea... Oury grips.

Did you ride the 125 Nats that year?
4/29/2006 7:06am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:59pm
[quote="drmarkr":eb95f]

Ditto for me...

I dropped the big bucks (more than Simon's) for a set of the billet machined KYB's, but they were so friggin adjustable that I could never get them set up. Put the Simons back on.

Bet you had a Preston Petty front fender and those cool translucent side panels and front plate also, right? Probably ran Metzler tires and had the aftermarket CDI box that I'm forgetting the name of.

Oh yea... Oury grips.

Did you ride the 125 Nats that year?[/quote:eb95f]
Didn't have the Preston Petty fender, but I had the cool white translucent front and rear fenders on my RM250, can't remember the manufacturer, it had that built in duckbill mud thingy on the front. I also had a Thor alloy s/arm and Fox AirShox... quite the machine in it's day.
... rode Golden State Series, no natl's.
4/29/2006 7:08am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:59pm
[quote="Mini Elsinore":92a52]I remember 'em. Big $$ in the day. Betor Forks were the ticket on minis (very trick since "offset" was unheard of in '76-'77 on a mini).[/quote:92a52]
I vaguely remember those... hard to keep seals in I think.
drmarkr
4/29/2006 10:25am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:59pm
[quote="Mini Elsinore":95881]I won't be calling any of you trust-funders out " title="Laughing"> but I ran yellow Fork Skinz (remember those?) on my '77 RM-125 stock forks.[/quote:95881]

No trust fund for me. I worked in a machine shop for (at the peak) $5.85 an hour. Spent every penny I made racing, along with what I made at work on bikes and racing. Taught me some great lessons that have served me well thruout life.

When I'd leave to go to a national, my Mom would slip me $50 and tell me if I got really tired at any point, to use it for a night in a hotel, instead of the van, where we always slept. That was about the extent of their financial help. And the only time I used it was the night one wheel of our trailer fell off in Delano, Calif on the way to Hangtown (my bro and I were on our way there from Okla where we grew up). That's a story for another time.

Re: the machine shop. The owners of that shop always kind of looked down their noses at me... I was always just a long-haired motorcycle racer. When I quit racing and applied for college I cut back to part time and they never really liked that I did that. When I told them I wanted to go to Medical School, they REALLY got a kick out of it... "you want to what, kid??" I moved on to waiting tables soon after.

And, of course, I made sure to send them an invitation to my Medical School graduation.

MR
4/29/2006 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:59pm
[quote="Mini Elsinore"]

Doc, comment was made in jest and no disrespect was intended. We had similar paths. I went from a 13 year old teenage refugee (originally from Arkansas) to living with a 'foster' family and working at their Union 76 in Long Beach. I went on to Law School because that good family kept telling me that I "could make it." And this would be a great time to thank Bill Jordan for making me part of his family, teaching me about life, giving me a job pumping petrol, and providing me with a kick-butt Mini Elsinore that his son had outgrown. R.I.P. Bill Jordan your spirit lives on through your "family."[/quote

You worked at a Union 76 too?! Too much so did I... the one on Coast Hwy inbetween North/South Laguna. I spent EVERYTHING on racing ... I remember my mom giving me a choice between helping me buy a '69 Mustang Mach 1 with a 428 Cobra Jet or a Bultaco Pursang... in retrospect I should have taken the Mustang, but it was 1972...gas embargoes and whatnot. You could literally watch the gas guage fall in the Mustang with the secondaries kicked in... but Saddleback in the spring, and a new Bul... the choice was obvious.
drmarkr
4/29/2006 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:59pm
[quote="Mini Elsinore":bc550]

Doc, comment was made in jest and no disrespect was intended. We had similar paths. I went from a 13 year old teenage refugee (originally from Arkansas) to living with a 'foster' family and working at their Union 76 in Long Beach. I went on to Law School because that good family kept telling me that I "could make it." And this would be a great time to thank Bill Jordan for making me part of his family, teaching me about life, giving me a job pumping petrol, and providing me with a kick-butt Mini Elsinore that his son had outgrown. R.I.P. Bill Jordan your spirit lives on through your "family."[/quote:bc550]

None taken. Funny how hard work and dedication can pay off in the end... some in today's generation will never grasp that concept.

MR
FLvet
5/2/2006 9:43am
I had a set of them. When they came out they were the bomb because they had ten inches of travel and ten inches of overlap. Plus the metals were higher quality than the OEM stuff.
slomoto
1/27/2008 10:22pm
still have a pair on my 1979 Maico 440 in my storage. with fox air shocks and thor swingarm
drmarkr
1/28/2008 5:48am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:05pm
[quote="slomoto":1ieh90sl]still have a pair on my 1979 Maico 440 in my storage. with fox air shocks and thor swingarm[/quote:1ieh90sl]

You wanna sell that bike? I'd be a buyer.

MR

Post a reply to: Simons forks?

The Latest