Seat cover input please

chuckie108
Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 1:43am
Recently purchased a seat cover for my current project from the Taiwanese outfit on EBay- they seem to have good reviews. After waiting an eternity for the thing to get here, it finally showed up today. I go to install it, and for the life of me, I can get the thing to go on properly. Seems like it isn’t pliable enough to stretch over the concave portion of the seat to get the wrinkles out. My normal technique is staple the front, stretch the back, center it, and tack it down. Then start at the middle and stretch it over the well of the seat, and start working it out. Probably installed 30 covers to an excellent result this way. Anyone have any experience with these covers? Are they known for being difficult? Maybe I need a different technique?

|
Bman_145
5/1/2018 10:07pm
I got a 87 cr125 cover from ebay and it was hard to get mounted without wrinkles. I use the same technique as you do. I left it out in the sun to heat up, added a strong second guy to really stretch and pull it tight as I tacked it down. Maybe try some upholstery pliers. Anyway, end result is great but it wasnt easy.

Good luck!
cvm
5/2/2018 3:32am
I bought one from same company & mine was difficult as well. And still not right, but did hold up well for a season - going on 2. It just has 2 "character wrinkles". I tried sun, heat, blow dryer, had a beer and said "whatca want for $30 from China?
Our technique is probably similar. Best of luck to ya. Mark
newmann
5/2/2018 5:44am
That looks a little funky all the way over here on the far side of Texas.
chuckie108
5/2/2018 8:08am
Thanks for the insight fellas. I'll wait until the heat this weekend, throw it in the sun, and give it another go with some muscle.

newmann- everything in cali looks a bit funky when viewed from the far side of Texas! (and rightfully so- I need to get out of this place! LOL)

The Shop

chuckie108
5/5/2018 3:03pm
I got it on today. I’d rate is as okay. Probably good value at $40, but for sure not the best cover I’ve ever installed. The other night when I tried, it was about 50. I through it in the sun today(95 Degrees) for a couple hours and gave it a go. Got it on but it was a struggle. Not a bad look, and just fine for this racer. If it doesn’t last, I’ll try and track down a tecnosel next time.
cvm
5/6/2018 3:39am
I don't know about newmanns view from Tx, but from all the way over here in Md. that looks wonderful.

But you don't have the "character lines (fkup)" that mine does!

Nice job.
Mark
newmann
5/6/2018 10:06am
cvm wrote:
I don't know about newmanns view from Tx, but from all the way over here in Md. that looks wonderful. But you don't have the "character...
I don't know about newmanns view from Tx, but from all the way over here in Md. that looks wonderful.

But you don't have the "character lines (fkup)" that mine does!

Nice job.
Mark
My comment was in response to the original post/pic, not after the heat and stretch.Wink

Had a few over the years I damn near had to melt to get to fit decent.Laughing
chuckie108
5/7/2018 1:42am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 1:43am
Looks good from the west side of the I15 in Eastvale.
Hey, we’re neighbors!! I live in sky country(other side of 15 off Limonite).

I’m with you Newman. I actually covered mine while in the sun so it would stay hot. Staple gun gets warm after a bit!!
5/7/2018 11:59am
Same cover I ordered a week or so ago for my 89 YZ 250. Looks good from Michigan, mine isn’t here yet.

Post a reply to: Seat cover input please

The Latest