Saddleback Park

mr50racer
2/25/2010 9:13am
wownd out wrote:
Hey Paul give it a rest dude or is this gonna turn into a smack talkin contest, i don't talk shit about you, don't talk shit...
Hey Paul give it a rest dude or is this gonna turn into a smack talkin contest, i don't talk shit about you, don't talk shit about me!!!
nmachamp wrote:
I believe you said, i was really not fast at all... and a decent intermediate.. but you werent really sure cause you never really even saw...
I believe you said, i was really not fast at all... and a decent intermediate.. but you werent really sure cause you never really even saw me ever do anything...Im still waiting to see any results of you, in any class finishing in the top 30... not pit passes or banners you took from different tracks.
everybody is side by side till somebody drops the gate....They could have been neck and neck for a whole moto.... You know the moto before that is on the track while they were sitting on the gate....
wownd out
2/25/2010 10:02am
What are you talking about Scott?
Sondy132001
2/27/2010 11:23am
wownd out wrote:
Ok Webco Kid, I think it was 82 World Mini, 100cc expert class 1st moto i holeshot Lechien is on my ass i hold him off...

Ok Webco Kid, I think it was 82 World Mini, 100cc expert class 1st moto i holeshot Lechien is on my ass i hold him off for 2 laps i make a mistake in a turn he gets by held his pace till the end of the moto. moto 2 i holeshot again, and im holdin him off this time, he gets around me up webco hill, i get him back half a lap later, so he's on my ass again, 1 lap to go on the jump before the finish i over jump and land hard in mud it almost throws me off, Lechien goes on for the win.

!983, Saddleback AMA 250 Nationonal, Carlsbad 125 National, SanDeigo SX, Astrodome SX . Superbowl of motocross at the Rosebowl. 1984, Hangtown national, Holehot both moto's on a (bone stock) RM125, lost the lead within a few corners to Ward, this was my last race, we came home to practice at Saddleback for the upcoming first ever arenacross in SanDiego and Saddleback was closed forever, i never made it to the Arenacross that weekend passed it up for my first time getting layed with the chick that would eventually have Mike Healey's kid. The one thing i don't miss about MX is all the bullshit talking on other people!.
Bauer wrote:
There was never a 125 National at Carlsbad
Bill163 wrote:
There was a 125 national at Carlsbad in 1981 the one Barnett missed Johnny 'O won the overall and Rick Johnson won his first national moto...
There was a 125 national at Carlsbad in 1981 the one Barnett missed Johnny 'O won the overall and Rick Johnson won his first national moto as a Yamaha support rider.

Bauer tell Scott Kandel I remember his first team he was on.Ruckel's Racers at Irwindale Raceway.
I was gonna say if there wasn't a 125 National at Carlsbad how in the hell did I end up at Carlsbad that day to watch a 125 National ?? Lechien, RJ all the boys were there and My favorite rider of the time Fly'in Brian Myerscough ! It was a good day to watch MX, I have pics from it too I believe ? again I never have time to dig through all my pics.

S
cmcmotocross.com
Craze
2/27/2010 1:03pm
If I remember it right, it was the final National of the year in 1981, I was there also....125/500

The Shop

Bauer
3/2/2010 2:55pm
I was gonna say if there wasn't a 125 National at Carlsbad how in the hell did I end up at Carlsbad that day to watch...
I was gonna say if there wasn't a 125 National at Carlsbad how in the hell did I end up at Carlsbad that day to watch a 125 National ?? Lechien, RJ all the boys were there and My favorite rider of the time Fly'in Brian Myerscough ! It was a good day to watch MX, I have pics from it too I believe ? again I never have time to dig through all my pics.

S
cmcmotocross.com
Don't ask me, Sondra, I never know how in the hell you end up anywhere, but I see you everywhere!

Smoooch!
3/2/2010 3:11pm
The '81 125 National at Carlsbad was the only 125 National that Barnett did not win that year.
Webcokid
4/3/2010 10:40pm

Some familiar faces at saddleback photo day. That's Kehoe up front, Too Tall, Johnson, some guy from San Diego on the back right, A very familiar face in the mustach, and also, some guy named Bob. Cool box vans!
Sondy132001
4/5/2010 3:42pm
Webcokid wrote:
[img]http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/Webcokid/Picture395.jpg[/img] Some familiar faces at saddleback photo day. That's Kehoe up front, Too Tall, Johnson, some guy from San Diego on the back right, A very...

Some familiar faces at saddleback photo day. That's Kehoe up front, Too Tall, Johnson, some guy from San Diego on the back right, A very familiar face in the mustach, and also, some guy named Bob. Cool box vans!
I have this one and the Honda, pretty much signed by everyone in the photos =)

S
Webcokid
4/10/2010 11:44am

There will be a group of ex Racers getting together at JT Schmidts on May 15th at 7:00 PM. On corner of Douglas and Katella/Anaheim stadium/Pond. If you ever raced Saddle Back, then you remember the stripped jersey mini riders hoopin' it up! Some fast mofos, and many went on to the major teams. It was a progression team built on antics and speed. Sondy, it would be nice if you could attend.
Webcokid
5/14/2010 9:21pm
Something came up last time we rode and my pals dad mentioned this: These guys from out east hated Saddle back. It was hard, slippery, and slippery! Hard too! Maybe it is better to ride in well groomed, soft, red bud type sandy conditons, but Saddle back was the true test. It's where the rubber met the dirt that transfomed to rock each weekend. Saddleback transformed as they day went, Webco developed lines and each corner had different berms. Maybe the weather determined that, because the water truck always poured out the same amount of H2O. Then they would groom it, and maybe water it again. I know the water truck had a real bad crash around 83-84, that ultimately ended the park. Truck rolled and driver-Forget name for now-paid the ultimate price. Hate to be a smart allec, but thought this type of accident should have happended on suicide Mountain. Just kiddin. Anyway, the park/track had a personality, and that's all I have to say about that!
NW#599
5/15/2010 12:02am
Craze
5/15/2010 4:03pm
NW#599 wrote:
[IMG]http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/MiniExpert/015-1.jpg[/IMG]
A very sad day indeed
wownd out
5/15/2010 6:24pm
Everet was the Water truck, and grater, and dozer driver, pretty good guy i remember i went to the high school track just for something different on a practice day and i came flyin off the shi jump behind the start line and ladnded in the middle of 5 foot piles of dirt he had moved on to the track to change it for an upcoming national put a crack in my left elbow, he offered to call or go get whatever emergency care they had, but i said i could make it there, i did and now i forget the dude's name real funny black dude, but i passed out when he poured the peroxide all over my hamburgered elbow.
Webcokid
6/10/2010 9:44pm
wownd out wrote:
Everet was the Water truck, and grater, and dozer driver, pretty good guy i remember i went to the high school track just for something different...
Everet was the Water truck, and grater, and dozer driver, pretty good guy i remember i went to the high school track just for something different on a practice day and i came flyin off the shi jump behind the start line and ladnded in the middle of 5 foot piles of dirt he had moved on to the track to change it for an upcoming national put a crack in my left elbow, he offered to call or go get whatever emergency care they had, but i said i could make it there, i did and now i forget the dude's name real funny black dude, but i passed out when he poured the peroxide all over my hamburgered elbow.
This thread can answer many questions mentioned on Mr. Nice's saddleback jont topic. Ultimately, the demise of Saddleback was a result of Insurance and legal issues.
david631
6/16/2010 10:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2010 10:09pm
how many of you guy's had riding spots near your house? I lived in long beach. we had like four places to go. the farthest one was 20 min. away from where I lived. I'll tell you guy's about a couple. the baddest one was dominguez hills. on sunday the place was happening. saw ray lopez on his monark a few times. john and ron desoto too. the place was the shit. a couple of mx tracks. lotsa trails. even had a hill climb section with boards imbedded at the hills peak. some of those hills can be compared to riding up the outside of a ? mark. the next place was called the fields. west of the LA flood control btw. del amo and the 405. the place had a north and a south section with the train tracks seperating the two. the so. side had a cool little track. a long straight away to a left that goes btw. two fences then another left that dropped down a little then a cool jump to a section that went into a tree area that led to the original kinda start straight. I think about coming home from school and riding side saddle on my 72 yellow tank CZ 250 with my boot over the end of the pipe (quiet for the cops)to get to the fields and it's all good memories. now let's hear about some of spots you guy's rode at.
david631
6/16/2010 10:30pm
Webcokid wrote:
[img]http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/Webcokid/Picture001-1.jpg[/IMG][/img] Here's my pal Chris Taylor railing a berm at Saddle Back. I think it's 1983
[/img]
Here's my pal Chris Taylor railing a berm at Saddle Back. I think it's 1983
is that chris taylor who's dad owned ace muffler in long beach and westminister? his dad was dave.
Webcokid
6/17/2010 10:35am
Webcokid wrote:
[img]http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/Webcokid/Picture001-1.jpg[/IMG][/img] Here's my pal Chris Taylor railing a berm at Saddle Back. I think it's 1983
[/img]
Here's my pal Chris Taylor railing a berm at Saddle Back. I think it's 1983
david631 wrote:
is that chris taylor who's dad owned ace muffler in long beach and westminister? his dad was dave.
That's right. I call him Bird legs Taylor. Him and his dad are still over at the westminister Shop. You should stop by and say hello!
chipnice
6/18/2010 5:17pm
Thats funny T, it does kinda make my mouth water. Dave should have wrtten it in Vietnamese
Dean35
9/3/2010 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2010 7:31am
I used to watch Ward back he's 4x4 up to the booth by the start line and unload his bike, cuz there was a huge step there that the tail gate would line up with and he could push he's bike in & out on a level surface. Haha!
Dean35
9/3/2010 3:47pm
Does anyone remember "The Day after the Night Before" Race? It was when the big boys rode the mini's or the Olympic's (think it was called that). Those were fun races to watch.
wownd out
9/3/2010 6:31pm
I remember it! it was after the Anaheim SX in 78, we parked next to this old lady! turned out she was pretty cool, but her grandson was a complete asshole!, his name was Bob Hannah, he lost that day to Jeff Ward, who was a great guy!
Dean35
9/4/2010 7:11am
I once asked Hannah for his autograph at Saddleback and as I looked down to watch him sign my shirt he flicked my chin and said "Look up kid I can't see!". I was about 10-11 yrs old and was so stoked that I got Bitch Slapped by Bob Hannah! It was like an Honor to me! Wish I had that shirt now.
Dean35
9/4/2010 7:11am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2010 7:18am
That Olympic race had them going up some crazy hill at the top of the back track by the first turn and all over the park, I remember the CycleNews article about it cuz you could see us in the picture. Haha!
zorbas
9/13/2010 7:45pm
I have an old brochuer from saddleback , from 1976, how do i post pics of it?
dr516
9/14/2010 9:31am
Jim felt lived in our neighbor hood and a kid I hung out with lived next door. Good times I even got one of brocs front number plates to put on my bike.
anniebertmojo
9/14/2010 12:04pm
zorbas wrote:
I upload the photos to photobucket or flicker and save them there. Then pull the code off there and put them in as needed. hope this helps?....
zorbas
9/14/2010 5:03pm
I know how to E mail pics, send me your E mail and i will send the pics to you so you can put them on hear if thats OK with you?. my E mail is rickv vl@att.net. rickvvl@att.net
anniebertmojo
9/15/2010 7:33pm
zorbas wrote:

GENERIC
9/17/2010 11:17am
Great story, Goat Breker use to have a house in Mockingbird cyn in Riverside Ca. Mockingbird cyn back in the day was insane any day of the week you would see 2 or 3 box vans (factory riders) up there rideing. Well Goat use to have alot of the local 80 riders come up to his house and watch videos and movies. All our parents were cool with it because they all knew Goat from the races he would show up at local races and chat with us. Goat had this insane entourage of followers (cult) that believed in initiation of new peeps. They would tackle you duct tape you to a tree in his back yard and take a old moto 3 helmet no liner smear goat shit inside the sides of the helmet and put it on your head you could not move your head from side to side for obvious reasons. You would be in that position for 2 to 3 hrs. I remember telling Goat i have to go home for dinner or i would be in trouble.So Goat called my mom and said i was in the back yard with the boys and all tied up having fun would it be ok if i brought him home in an hour. Parents were like hes having fun nothing to worry about. That was normal back then, also you would be getting ready for your race and find out he took your boots and replaced them with contruction boots and a open face helmet with no visor and bubble googles you would have to race like that. Funny thing evrybody was cool with it because it was Goat....Good times...Derek
Dropbear
10/8/2010 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2010 5:43pm
Video from 1976 Trans AMA. Might have been posted before, but what the hell.

I loved those days. A kid in Oz who probably bought about 10 magazines every month, with subscriptions to MXA and Cyclenews. I got to realise my dream and spent nearly a month tehre in '79 when I was about 15. Went riding at Saddleback nearly every day. Stayed in a cheap hotel in Buena Park, near Buena Park Yamaha. Oh yeah, also skated at Skatopia most nights too.The cops took me home one night when I was heading back to the Hotel, they could not believe I was out on my own late at night. Just a naive aussie kid I guess.

Post a reply to: Saddleback Park

The Latest