Saddleback Park

1/22/2010 4:22pm
Webcokid wrote:
[IMG]http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/Webcokid/DG-1.jpg[/IMG] Check out this old DG add. That's my pal Todd Peterson on the left in the blue jacket. But, can anyone tell us who the...

Check out this old DG add. That's my pal Todd Peterson on the left in the blue jacket. But, can anyone tell us who the 80cc rider is? Also, who can name the Suzuki rider as well!
Those DG "boot-gaitors" were the coolest things ever! Tongue (I think mine were made by JT though)
1/22/2010 4:30pm
wownd out wrote:
Excuse me but i had quite a few battles with Lechien in the 100 expert class, yeah he would smoke my ass in the 125 class...
Excuse me but i had quite a few battles with Lechien in the 100 expert class, yeah he would smoke my ass in the 125 class, there all you baby bitches happy now!.
Well, I got lapped by Micky Dymond in an Open Intermediate race there...'79?'80?...he was on a Maico at the time (so was I). I remember being blown away by how fast I thought he was...he went 1-1 and was not long for that class needless to say! I have always been a fan of his since that day!
1/22/2010 4:32pm
Just curious, but anybody have, or know where I can get, the results from the Golden State Series races there in '80 and/or '81?
1/22/2010 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2010 4:59pm
Webcokid wrote:
[IMG]http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/Webcokid/DG-1.jpg[/IMG] Check out this old DG add. That's my pal Todd Peterson on the left in the blue jacket. But, can anyone tell us who the...

Check out this old DG add. That's my pal Todd Peterson on the left in the blue jacket. But, can anyone tell us who the 80cc rider is? Also, who can name the Suzuki rider as well!
Isn't that Steve Skibel in the Fullerton Yamaha jersey? I believe that is Paul Denis with the Sidi boots. Warren "out" Reid for sure in the Suzuki gear.

The Shop

knob319
1/22/2010 5:39pm
My cherished pics. Enjoy. I believe they're from the '83 G.S. National.
anniebertmojo
1/22/2010 6:41pm
Just curious, but anybody have, or know where I can get, the results from the Golden State Series races there in '80 and/or '81?
ask Sondra... CMC has a FaceBook page
Webcokid
1/22/2010 10:06pm
Webcokid wrote:

Isn't that Steve Skibel in the Fullerton Yamaha jersey? I believe that is Paul Denis with the Sidi boots. Warren "out" Reid for sure in the...
Isn't that Steve Skibel in the Fullerton Yamaha jersey? I believe that is Paul Denis with the Sidi boots. Warren "out" Reid for sure in the Suzuki gear.
Ya, it's Paul dennis in the sidis. Paul please verify! Also, Eric never road for fulerton yamaha, and I did on a support level. Also, Eric never ran the number 44. I don't have any GS results but will ask thv fellas at anahiem 2 tomorrow about it. This is a great string and appreciate all the replys. I know the "man" has checked it a few times and hope he will comment soon. Roger, when can you chime in and give us some real low down on the greatest track on earth?

Webcokid
1/22/2010 10:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2010 10:25pm
Bulldog wrote:
I travelled from Illinois in 1977 with my parents to race the summer in California. I was able to race the original Hangtown, Ascot, Chula Vista...
I travelled from Illinois in 1977 with my parents to race the summer in California. I was able to race the original Hangtown, Ascot, Chula Vista, Indian Dunes and of course Saddleback. I was able to live my childhood dreams. I read about all the tracks in all the magazines. The tracks were a lot different from the midwest. Really hard packed. Definitly a lot of fun though. I really enjoyed the racing atmosphere in California.

Thank you for posting the pictures of Saddleback in it's current state. Here are a few pictures from Saddleback dated July 2 and July 3, 1977.

At the Saddleback gate:

Resting in the pit area:

Gary Jones and Brian Myerscough:
That's killer bro. Your parents were pretty cool! It's cool that you had a chance to ride the international track and can appreciate your point of view on the hard pack. If you remeber, the track was plowed in the morning and it was pretty knarly during practice. By the end of the day, the entire track would take on it's own personality with different lines and berms. You could rail some corners, and slide through others. And like in other comments, the blue grove could be treacherous. Power slides and high sides!
1/23/2010 6:39am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:16pm
Webcokid wrote:

Isn't that Steve Skibel in the Fullerton Yamaha jersey? I believe that is Paul Denis with the Sidi boots. Warren "out" Reid for sure in the...
Webcokid wrote:
Ya, it's Paul dennis in the sidis. Paul please verify! Also, Eric never road for fulerton yamaha, and I did on a support level. Also, Eric...
Ya, it's Paul dennis in the sidis. Paul please verify! Also, Eric never road for fulerton yamaha, and I did on a support level. Also, Eric never ran the number 44. I don't have any GS results but will ask thv fellas at anahiem 2 tomorrow about it. This is a great string and appreciate all the replys. I know the "man" has checked it a few times and hope he will comment soon. Roger, when can you chime in and give us some real low down on the greatest track on earth?

Fullerton Yamaha?? I never knew they had a shop in Fullerton except the Suzuki shop, Town&Country Cycle, and American Motocross shop(it moved to Buena Park later). I worked at the Yamaha shop in Buena Park and the shops in LaHabra and the ones in Anaheim.
wownd out
1/23/2010 9:56am
It was a combined Boat dealer and limited Yamaha motorcycles just dirt bikes. i lived only 3 miles from there it was on Harbor Blvd and Orangethorpe ave. Fullerton also had a sad little track called Fullerton minibike track it was next to the oil fields and golf course wich were better to ride than the track, i could go through my neghborhood to the railroad tracks then onto the golf course and oil fields andy day i wanted and no one ever called the cops, the good ol days!.
Wandell
1/23/2010 10:20am
That kid sure favors Kehoe though.Dry
1/23/2010 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2010 2:12pm
Webcokid wrote:

Webcokid wrote:
Ya, it's Paul dennis in the sidis. Paul please verify! Also, Eric never road for fulerton yamaha, and I did on a support level. Also, Eric...

I said I thought it was Steve Skibel. I do not remember Kehoe being sponsored by DG.
Dropbear
1/23/2010 2:06pm
Fullerton Yamaha?? I never knew they had a shop in Fullerton except the Suzuki shop, Town&Country Cycle, and American Motocross shop(it moved to Buena Park later)...
Fullerton Yamaha?? I never knew they had a shop in Fullerton except the Suzuki shop, Town&Country Cycle, and American Motocross shop(it moved to Buena Park later). I worked at the Yamaha shop in Buena Park and the shops in LaHabra and the ones in Anaheim.
When I was in the US in '79 for the World Mini we had got help putting our bikes together from Buena Park Yamaha. We stayed in the Holiday Inn down the road for about 3 weeks The mechanic was a really cool guy, but I cant remember his name, who raced a Harley on the 1/2 mile.

Do you know him? A guy named Brad, ex mini champ worked in spares I think.
nmachamp
1/23/2010 5:49pm
Webcokid wrote:

Good job cutting me out WEBCO,it almost looks like you didnt do it intentinally.... couple of girls from Pasadena, called DG. wanted to know who i was. Jerry Campbell, who worked there at the time gave them my phone number.. we ended up going out for about a year.... ( true story )
1/23/2010 6:01pm
Fullerton Yamaha?? I never knew they had a shop in Fullerton except the Suzuki shop, Town&Country Cycle, and American Motocross shop(it moved to Buena Park later)...
Dropbear wrote:
When I was in the US in '79 for the World Mini we had got help putting our bikes together from Buena Park Yamaha. We stayed...
When I was in the US in '79 for the World Mini we had got help putting our bikes together from Buena Park Yamaha. We stayed in the Holiday Inn down the road for about 3 weeks The mechanic was a really cool guy, but I cant remember his name, who raced a Harley on the 1/2 mile.

Do you know him? A guy named Brad, ex mini champ worked in spares I think.
I left Buena Park Yamaha to work for FMF before that time so not sure who was working there then.
nmachamp
1/23/2010 6:12pm
Webcokid wrote:
[img]http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/Webcokid/gs.jpg[/img] This was my last race at Saddleback Park. I left the 80cc class and moved to the 125, but my racing career came to an...

This was my last race at Saddleback Park. I left the 80cc class and moved to the 125, but my racing career came to an end. No support, and family issues ultimately led to the end. However, This was a fantastic day and I did quite well in the novice class. Again, not a former mini star, but fast in my own mind! The GS series was always my favorite and my Pal Bruce Bunch ultimately won this in 1982. I get a kick out of the Can-Am sponsor. Remember those bikes? They remind me of the harley davidson 250's that were out during the same period.
I have to agree that Bruce Bunch not only won the 82 GS series, but was unbeatable... rode at a higher level than everybody... ( nobody can argue that.)
1/23/2010 6:27pm
I'll do that...thanks!
1/24/2010 12:12am
OK. So nobody knows who the dude in the Fullerton Yamaha jersey is? How 'bout it, NMAchamp?
nmachamp
1/24/2010 9:45am
OK. So nobody knows who the dude in the Fullerton Yamaha jersey is? How 'bout it, NMAchamp?
Steve Skieble,holding on to the 44 bike. the bike belonged to the little kid in the background. I think thats Hammer Hank Moree...
Craze
1/24/2010 9:54am
DoctorJD wrote:
The 80 rider looks like Eric Kehoe. The Suzuki rider looks like Warren Reid, but I don't remember him riding a Suzuki.
Warren Reid rode on Team Suzuki for one year.....1982
Wandell
1/24/2010 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2010 12:33pm
nmachamp wrote:
Steve Skieble,holding on to the 44 bike. the bike belonged to the little kid in the background. I think thats Hammer Hank Moree...
Dang, I didn't even notice the little kid in the background. Heck, I rember that ad when it first came out! I even had a set of that vented DG Suzuki gear Reid is wearing.
Webcokid
1/24/2010 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2010 3:22pm
I'll do that...thanks!
Webcokid
1/24/2010 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2010 8:52am
Webcokid wrote:
[img]http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/Webcokid/gs.jpg[/img] This was my last race at Saddleback Park. I left the 80cc class and moved to the 125, but my racing career came to an...

This was my last race at Saddleback Park. I left the 80cc class and moved to the 125, but my racing career came to an end. No support, and family issues ultimately led to the end. However, This was a fantastic day and I did quite well in the novice class. Again, not a former mini star, but fast in my own mind! The GS series was always my favorite and my Pal Bruce Bunch ultimately won this in 1982. I get a kick out of the Can-Am sponsor. Remember those bikes? They remind me of the harley davidson 250's that were out during the same period.
nmachamp wrote:
I have to agree that Bruce Bunch not only won the 82 GS series, but was unbeatable... rode at a higher level than everybody... ( nobody...
I have to agree that Bruce Bunch not only won the 82 GS series, but was unbeatable... rode at a higher level than everybody... ( nobody can argue that.)
Paul, I appreciate the comment about Bruce. I know he has alot of respect for you. Also, I don't know how you were cut out of the DG add because that's how I found it. I will try to find the version with your whole body in it. I was at the races last night and Todd told me it was Skieble too. Also, hung out with DG Dave Taylor and many other old timers, which was really cool. I need to mention good ole Tom Corley and Todd Peterson as well. Thanks Todd! I heard Burnwerth has been puttin on some old timer / Vet races? Any interest in racing in one? Do you still ride? Oh, I'd like to hear more about the ckicK you dated!
Webcokid
1/26/2010 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2010 10:18pm
Check out this picture of Johnny "O'Show". These were the infamous DG Doubles. Yes, many refer to them as the the Magoo doubles because I think he cleared them first. But back in 1979 during the national, they had a big blue and yellow DG sign up there! Rudy D challenged the boys to make the jump one day after during practice I think and all of them cleared it. I think Hemme actually hit his face pretty hard on the bars and cut his lip open pretty bad. My pal Chris Taylor use to clear the two on the way back down; which I always thought was harder, because you had to make the turn at the bottom and hit the super huge woops they made in the trees. Those woops were knarley on an 80
Webcokid
1/26/2010 12:06pm
[/img]
Here's my pal Chris Taylor railing a berm at Saddle Back. I think it's 1983
wownd out
1/26/2010 12:27pm
Saddleback from the air - 2006
Saddleback from the air - 2006

Saddleback MX Park
Wow you can still see the start, and Banzai hill, and Suicide mountain.
Webcokid
1/27/2010 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:24pm
[/img]
Well, my riding pal Dave Taylor -not DG Dave-has some really great photos and this one is right up there with the best. This past Yamaha rider was a Saddleback local and was and still is one fast mofo! We saw him and Dr. D out at 80's night in Anahiem a few years back and he had ground off the end of his pinkie finger in a get off the previous week. Ya, he's still pretty tough too! Who can name this rider?

Post a reply to: Saddleback Park

The Latest