Road trip stories

se7enmx
Edited Date/Time 1/21/2012 9:01am
Any good stories when traveling to the races? Highway food fights, breakdowns, when you are already late to the races. Betting your friends you have to wear your helmet home if you don't win a tropghy. 65 mph food fights were just fun. We would just buy stuff at the store, just to throw at each other. Hotel stories? Working on the bike in the room? How many towels did you call your own that weren't your own. Filter cleaning in the hotel sink.
|
Larry
7/5/2006 10:44am
1980 I was driving from Atl. to a track in Augusta that was built on an old golf course(no not that one). Had a flat on my van in the middle of no where and of course had no spare. I was racing one of the old KLX 250 4 strokes because my 250 unitrack had more cracks in the frame than I could weld up. So I broke out the bike and road it on the expressway for about 5 miles till I found a station that could help. On the way back the guy from the service station was following me and I ask him to clock how fast my bike would go. That KLX was really just a street bike motor and was geared really tall. He clocked me at 80 mph.
When we get to the track the main straight was on one of the old long par 5's and that KLX was tapped out halfway down the straight. Never knew we got that fast there. I rode the enduro class that day and won so it was a good day.
T-BOND
7/5/2006 10:47am
I'm sure all of us could write a book. Heres a funny one: At the 125 National at Keysers Ridge Maryland. I got to the track on saturday and Dick Glover (Broc's dad) gave me a DG pipe and ignition for my bike.(he used to help me out) After putting them on, I started the bike and went for a little ride. There was a trail going through the woods and I went about a quarter mile down the trail when I saw a little shack with a stove pipe chimney. I stopped to see what it was and an old lady came out with a double barrel shotgun aimed right at me. I took off afraid she was going to shoot. When I got back and told someone working at the track what had happened, they told me that there was a moonshine still back there.
Larry
7/5/2006 10:51am
I thought hillbilly lived in Tenn.
T-BOND
7/5/2006 10:53am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:59pm
[quote="Larry":f195e]I thought hillbilly lived in Tenn.[/quote:f195e]So did I. That track was in the middle of the Allegheny mountains. Absolutely beautiful scenery.

The Shop

JPT
7/5/2006 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:59pm
Five of us piled into my buddy's Chevy and drove 4 hrs to the St. Peters Trans-Am in '72 to see Ake and the boys. It was cool early but got warmer and my friends Tommy and Randy(yeah the same one I had to bail out of jail in Daytona) began to complain about lugging their coats around. They saw a motorhome up on the hill and decided to see if they could leave their leather jackets off with these complete strangers. Didn't seem like a good idea to me, but I'd had these discussions with them before and at this point I didn't see how it impacted me, so I didn't even try.

We meet up after the race and Tommy and Randy are really wound up. The folks in the motorhome had declined babysitting the coats so the boys decided to hide them in the woods. When they went back, :shock: no coats. They're wanting to run around and "find" who took them. I point out that there were probably 10,000 people there, half of which were gone and there were several exits. They should chalk it up to experiance and we should head for home. That's when they tell me the car keys were in Randy's coat. He put them there so he wouldn't "lose" them during the day.

After an hour of trying we finally get Randy's Impala hot wired but now we are afraid to stop to eat for fear it won't start again. So 5 hungry, tired, pissed off people cram into the car for the trip home.
Oh yeah, did I tell you that the plan was to drop me off a college on the way home? All my stuff is in the trunk and we can't get the back seat out so I have to go home and take the bus the next day. I miss a day of classes and spend the entire day on busses and in bus stations. I loved those guys but man, they did test my patience.

I already told the Randy in Daytona story. http://www.motodrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15962
FLvet
7/7/2006 9:29am
We're coming back from Sleepy Hollow MX in PA going home to Maryland on a Sunday night . Not 10 miles from the track my buddy Keith's Impala dies. We start checking stuff and have the fuel line off to see if it's the pump . Unfortuatley I had pulled the coil wire to check for spark and when we turned it over WHUMPF! We put the blaze out with Gatorade from the cooler! A few burn marks but no major damage. Well the next morning after an uncomfortable night in the Hotel Impala a state trooper gives Keith a lift to a garage and a distributer cap and rotor and points and a $40 lighter wallet and we're good to go. Funny thing was there was a chicken slaughterhouse near by and they ran trucks full of blood and guts down a road to dump on the fields. There were these black flys everywhere. They didn't bite but if you stood still for a second they covered you like some cheap horror flick. We ended up getting home Monday around 1PM tired and hungry.

Post a reply to: Road trip stories

The Latest