Riveted o-ring master link k vs. clip style master link

10/24/2017 4:18pm
Any input on wether the riveted style, or the clip style master links are preferable on a dirt bike?
|
omalley
10/25/2017 1:22pm
I would go with clip style. You want to be able to remove the chain for cleaning and other maintenance of the rear wheel, swingarm etc that you don’t see as much on a road bike (where rivet links are common). The slight reduction in security is worth the ease of maintenance in my opinion. Just make sure the closed end of the clip is forward in relation to chain direction, and watch the clip for wear (especially true on O/X ring chains which are often wider and rub on some chain guides, wearing the edges of the clip thin.
10/25/2017 2:17pm
omalley wrote:
I would go with clip style. You want to be able to remove the chain for cleaning and other maintenance of the rear wheel, swingarm etc...
I would go with clip style. You want to be able to remove the chain for cleaning and other maintenance of the rear wheel, swingarm etc that you don’t see as much on a road bike (where rivet links are common). The slight reduction in security is worth the ease of maintenance in my opinion. Just make sure the closed end of the clip is forward in relation to chain direction, and watch the clip for wear (especially true on O/X ring chains which are often wider and rub on some chain guides, wearing the edges of the clip thin.
Thank you for the input!
Paw Paw
10/25/2017 3:10pm
omalley wrote:
I would go with clip style. You want to be able to remove the chain for cleaning and other maintenance of the rear wheel, swingarm etc...
X2

Paw Paw
MaxPower
10/26/2017 3:46pm
I can't say I've ever seen an endless chain on a dirt bike

The Shop

omalley
10/26/2017 7:55pm
MaxPower wrote:
I can't say I've ever seen an endless chain on a dirt bike
Surprisingly, my daughter’s CRF150F has one. Not sure if it’s OE or something the previous owner did. Judging by the low hours, guessing OE. Surprised the heck out of me.
10/26/2017 9:15pm
Yeah, I bought my 1981 YZ125 from m a friend in 81, and it had a clip masterlink. I replaced the chain once, with a clip type link chain. This is a restoration job I'm doing with my oldest son and I bought the chain from Dennis Kirk. It was specked for my bike, but has this riveted link. I'm going to go ahead and order a clipped link for it. Thanks!
450exc115
10/31/2017 2:54am
We always rivited our chains for racing HS and MX and carried a chain break in our fanny pack if we ran into a bound chain. 9 out of 10 times the master link was never in the right spot to fix the problem. Smile
Uncle Tony
10/31/2017 4:18pm
Street bikes use them all the time, if I rode off rode events I would certainly use a rivet link, no clip to wear out, the problem is you have to grind the post down when replacing the chain

Post a reply to: Riveted o-ring master link k vs. clip style master link

The Latest