Restored 1980 CR80

ThatOneKid
This was posted in Moto-Related a few months back, I thought I'd add it to Old School Moto as well.
Background: My dad is unfortunately not on Vital, but I thought you all would enjoy this. My dad has been on and off restoring his 1980 Honda CR80 for the past 12 years. I was 11 years old when I helped him tear it apart. He got very involved in restoring an old Ford Station Wagon, and with racing more and more each year the bike took a back seat until we eventually stopped racing.

It was in pretty rough shape, it went through my dad, his four brothers, and numerous cousins of his. He eventually got the bike back from a family member in the condition shown below around 2000. I remember I had wanted a KTM 65 so badly and we wanted to race after going to the Steel City national one year. He told me if he got the CR80 back and I could ride that then he'd consider getting me the 65. I can confirm his comments that the bike knocked him on his back the first time he rode it because I was absolutely terrified and pretty sure I wrecked it myself.

He finished this about 2 months ago and showed it off at the High Point national. It definitely turned alot of heads.

My dad getting the bike for Christmas in 1980

Before pictures

Me after the teardown Circa 2004 roughly

Rebuilding the Engine

Frame build in front of the car that took away ALOT of time

Final Build

My Dad with his finished project

Pic from the vintage show at High Point

Mad Mike Jones showing his approval (he's still got his ramps just outside of where Steel City was.)

This is added to our restoration collection with the 67 Ford Country Squire, and 1973 Honda XR75. It was a long time coming, but well worth it.

Hope you all enjoyed!

|
OleTex
10/5/2016 2:42pm
Very cool bike and a nice story behind it too. I remember when these first came out. Danny Storbeck raced one down here. He won the 80 expert class, then quickly filled up with gas, and went out and hole shot the 125 class and won that too. Those bikes were ridiculously fast for their day.

Thanks for the pix!
Sully
10/5/2016 4:55pm
Man, I wanted one of those so bad back then. There was a full page on for all of the 1980 CRs on the back of the Supercross program that year, and I used to stare at that CR80 for hours daydreaming about owning one.
PN27416
10/6/2016 9:40am
Saw it in person at Hi-point. Better then new!
mayzo
10/7/2016 4:28am
I had one as a kid. Really fast little motor. Used to go to a riding park north of Sydney called Hungry creek.
They had a big long grass paddock along the creek and we would drag race each other.
Blew a few 125's off there on my old 80 really easy against those KX125's that year..

The Shop

OleTex
10/7/2016 12:17pm
mayzo wrote:
I had one as a kid. Really fast little motor. Used to go to a riding park north of Sydney called Hungry creek. They had a...
I had one as a kid. Really fast little motor. Used to go to a riding park north of Sydney called Hungry creek.
They had a big long grass paddock along the creek and we would drag race each other.
Blew a few 125's off there on my old 80 really easy against those KX125's that year..
Yep, I remember reading in the MX mags that year about it. They said the 1980 CR 80 would hole shot most 125's of that year. I think it may have been Hondas "revenge" bike. They were not happy that the YZ and RM80's took away their XR75 market share, so they fought fire with more fire. A fire engine red motor. I recall that is was listed as having 21 hp.

Post a reply to: Restored 1980 CR80

The Latest