Related:
Create New Tag
Moto Obsessed Moto Obsessed
2/17/2019 7:09 PM

Was working on my ‘72 Honda CT70H yesterday and while attempting to clean grime off the stator plate area, when I removed the screws holding in one of the primary coils, the insulator material that keeps the winding bound was really brittle and broke apart on me.... I let go of the coil and it came unwound and fell a foot or two to the floor, hanging by the copper winding. One of those jaw open WTF DID I JUST DO moments. Soldered connection from the copper winding to the wire is fine and intact, so no connection issues there.

My questions are: 1) is it critical that the winding be real tightly wound? I know it looks a little sloppy in the photo; would it behoove me to tidy it up better?? 2) is it safe to use something to keep the winding bound to prevent it from unraveling when it’s off the stator plate?? If so, what should I use?? Thank you in advance for the help!

Photo

Brett Campbell Brett Campbell
2/18/2019 11:04 AM

I would try to wind it nice and neat like it was and use some 5 minute epoxy to hold it in place.

Paw Paw 271 Paw Paw 271
2/20/2019 5:31 PM

It needs to be rewound correctly.
It can also be sent out for repair to one of several good stator shops.
Google it.

Paw Paw

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry