Post Vintage Suspension Work

Bonecrush
8/7/2018 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2018 5:11am
Just wondering who guys are using to rebuild their Post Vintage suspension. I know the usual suspects, Race Tech in CA and Noleen, (Noleen has disappointed me 2x now, so there won't be a third) I've used Race Tech in CA and been happy, but wondering if there are any other reputable shops to consider before sending these forks and shock off to RT.
|
newmann
8/7/2018 5:25pm
Race Tech has done good for me on a number of occasions. What exactly are you looking to get rebuilt?
8/7/2018 11:33pm
What happened with Noleen? Everybody seems to love em.
DrGreg
8/8/2018 5:54am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2018 5:56am
Bonecrush
8/8/2018 7:20am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2018 7:24am
Newmann- Nothing exotic, a 1984 RM250. There are many local suspension folks, but I want the shock body hard anodized and none of them offer or are willing to get that done. Looking for the usual RT springs, emulators, possibly the Gold Valve they make for the 84 RM shock. I've been happy with RT in CA before as well, just wondering if there was anyone else to consider.

Vintage Racer- Let's see...a like new OEM shock spring that was never returned. A dozen phone calls and emails and 3 years later its still never been returned. A shock that came back with the reservoir hose incorrectly mounted which prevented the shock from being able to be installed. Had to take it to a local guy to move the hose and recharge it. Not so much as an "I'm sorry" let alone any offer to help cover the cost incurred with the local shop to fix their mistake. A set of forks that came back with no fork oil in them. Like many companies that grow, when the owner stops doing the work or watching it like a hawk, quality control suffers. I suspect that's whats happened to them. Too bad because I really prefer the color of the hard anodizing they do over the color RT uses.

I've also tried a "famous" vintage suspension guy in the Northeast, and 9 months later,
and after countless phone calls and emails my suspension was finally returned. Seems like bad customer service is the rule rather than the exception in the VMX world. The luxury vendors enjoy of having a captive market with limited choices.

The Shop

8/8/2018 9:59am
Ok just curious as I just ordered a pair of Noleen piggyback shocks yesterday. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
newmann
8/8/2018 10:05am
Bonecrush wrote:
Newmann- Nothing exotic, a 1984 RM250. There are many local suspension folks, but I want the shock body hard anodized and none of them offer or...
Newmann- Nothing exotic, a 1984 RM250. There are many local suspension folks, but I want the shock body hard anodized and none of them offer or are willing to get that done. Looking for the usual RT springs, emulators, possibly the Gold Valve they make for the 84 RM shock. I've been happy with RT in CA before as well, just wondering if there was anyone else to consider.

Vintage Racer- Let's see...a like new OEM shock spring that was never returned. A dozen phone calls and emails and 3 years later its still never been returned. A shock that came back with the reservoir hose incorrectly mounted which prevented the shock from being able to be installed. Had to take it to a local guy to move the hose and recharge it. Not so much as an "I'm sorry" let alone any offer to help cover the cost incurred with the local shop to fix their mistake. A set of forks that came back with no fork oil in them. Like many companies that grow, when the owner stops doing the work or watching it like a hawk, quality control suffers. I suspect that's whats happened to them. Too bad because I really prefer the color of the hard anodizing they do over the color RT uses.

I've also tried a "famous" vintage suspension guy in the Northeast, and 9 months later,
and after countless phone calls and emails my suspension was finally returned. Seems like bad customer service is the rule rather than the exception in the VMX world. The luxury vendors enjoy of having a captive market with limited choices.
Sounds like Race Tech may be your choice there. I was just asking because I have used Steve Sage at Sage Suspension in Colorado before for misc. Fox air monoshocks, CH Omega air shocks and he has also done Yamaha monoshock rebuilds for my brother with good results.

The famous guy in the northeast, he is a good choice for Fox and Simon's parts. I can't say that I have ever heard of anyone getting anything repaired in a timely manner. I won't knock a "one man band" that finds himself covered up with work but they do need to warn people up front that their stuff may be gone for years before getting returned.
tydog
8/8/2018 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2018 6:05pm
Totally agree with all of the above!!! I do my own suspension work but had the same issue with the solo guy. Noleen really really disappointed me recently on a set of piggies for 490 Maico and like above, not even an “I’m sorry”.
mb60
8/8/2018 7:25pm
Greg have you asked Craig at enzo or will he not get into the vintage stuff ? How about Keating in Houston or they will not mess with it either ?
Since73
8/8/2018 8:25pm
I had very good customer service and performance results with Eric and Brad Harvey at NorCal Vintage Racing.
I was always able to communicate with one of them and they can anodize your shock body/forks as well as tune everything up with RT components. Their signature look is black anodizing, but I would think you could get another color if wanted; not sure

BR8ES
8/9/2018 6:40pm
What is with the veiled northeast vendor comments, just name the guy and save someone a headache... if it Thor Lawson, that is mid-atlantic and it took me over 4 months to get my Fox Shox back and the f'n things had no rebound control, just springs...pissed the F off.
OldPro277
8/10/2018 7:11am
BR8ES wrote:
What is with the veiled northeast vendor comments, just name the guy and save someone a headache... if it Thor Lawson, that is mid-atlantic and it...
What is with the veiled northeast vendor comments, just name the guy and save someone a headache... if it Thor Lawson, that is mid-atlantic and it took me over 4 months to get my Fox Shox back and the f'n things had no rebound control, just springs...pissed the F off.
If it was only 4 months ,consider yourself lucky......VERY lucky.
Mx746
8/10/2018 7:23am
I would think only the shops who have been around a long time would have any data on these older bikes to work with concerning setting, shim stacks etc. I had a thread going about an evo bike, and how to know if the shock bore isnt worn too far. I dont see limits in my manual. Ive emailed several suspension companies and asked if they measure internal shock bore on rebuilds, or if the manufacturers even have a wear limit. I like RT, but I dislike the concept of split ring piston bands, they just seem like a bad idea. I want my shock rebuilt with a compression band. So far none of the suspension companies have replied to the question of bore inspection during rebuilds.
BR8ES
8/11/2018 5:21pm
BR8ES wrote:
What is with the veiled northeast vendor comments, just name the guy and save someone a headache... if it Thor Lawson, that is mid-atlantic and it...
OldPro277 wrote:
If it was only 4 months ,consider yourself lucky......VERY lucky.
Other than non working shox, sounds like it. Glad there are options.
8/14/2018 9:14pm
I have nothing but good things to say about Race Tech. Good phone support. They always send your stuff back. They are really good at running your credit card..haha... no complaints!
captmoto
8/16/2018 9:57am
I had a shock done by RT and they mentioned the bore was worn but I cant recall if the offered a repair service. I thought they offered to anodize but that would only slow down the wear process. Did you call them to see of they can do it? Maybe it's something that doesn't show on the website. I think it would be kind of expensive since to be done correctly it would take boring to get the bore to a uniform size. I don't know how they would bring it back to spec size. Is hard anodizing like a plating process? Could it be laid on then honed to size like a cylinder bore?
Madmax31
Fantasy
128th
8/16/2018 11:44am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2018 11:45am
I love the Racetech emulators on my 83 CR250. Plus it's a simple job, did it myself saving $$$.
Rocky739
8/16/2018 6:31pm
Save yourself some headache and pull them apart yourself and inspect for wear. I went through several shocks on my last project to get a good shock body, once I did I took the shock and fork lowers to a local anodizing shop that hard anodized them plus some other bits for about 150.00 bucks. Any decent suspension shop should be able to rebuild the shock especially if you supply the parts.
LWC307
8/17/2018 4:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 4:49pm
I also recommend doing them yourself, at least up to the final gassing stage.
I heard good things about this guy though
http://www.mxrestoration.com/Vintagesuspension.html

So many places don't actually restore shocks though, they just rebuild. They don't re-plate, they dont re-paint and if they do repaint they don't remove eye mount rubbers/bearings and so you just see ugly overspray on these parts. Why!!!!!
Tbteam
8/18/2018 5:11am
I just had these puppies built for an 80 CR125 project. I haven’t ridden on them yet, but damn, they look nice!

Post a reply to: Post Vintage Suspension Work

The Latest