Polishing shift star

Related:
Create New Tag

3/19/2018 1:26 PM

My KTM 125 is a pretty bad shifter and is very difficult to shift from 1-2 without ending up in neutral. I've heard that I can polish the star and also alter the neutral bump to help out.

Can anyone offer any advice on what exactly to do. Luckily I have a few to practice on..

Thanks Photo

|

3/19/2018 2:44 PM

I'm not an expert, but I would think you want to round off the edges on these two parts to make it easier to skip over that whole section.

Photo

|

3/19/2018 2:52 PM

Right...but I'm worried about doing too much...because if those are rounded off wouldn't it also make it easier to slip into neutral from 1st or 2nd?

|

3/19/2018 9:03 PM

Ha, those old Ktooms weren't the best shifters for sure.
If your willing to send me one I can chuck it in the the gear polisher at a race shop I visit and have them apply their surface treatment.
Worth a shot...

|

3/19/2018 9:07 PM

Yes, I would think so. BUT - that's a two edged sword right? And you have a few to practice on.

I would also think whatever spring is applying tension to hold the roller in each gear location could be modified for extra tension.

|

3/19/2018 10:38 PM

I remember installing a shift kit in my 1993 KTM 125 which consisted of a new spring/roller and a new star which made a big difference. I dont remember if it was a KTM kit or made by Factory Pro.

|

When in doubt gas it! It may not cure the problem but it will end the suspense!