PFR opinions?

wfopete
4/8/2018 7:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 2:43pm
My first PFR pipe (for a YZ465) but I wasn't impressed with the build quality of the pipe as I thought PFRs were considerd a high quality pipe. Welds looked sloppy/poor and too much use of brazing where welding would have been more desirable. The alignment of the piece that goes over the exhaust manifold and the first section of headpipe tubing was off. Kinda ugly all the way around but it came with a decent looking rebuildable alloy silencer. In fact, if the pipe was built as nicely as the silencer I would be very happy. Thoughts??

|
4/8/2018 7:33pm
PFR is really Maico Only (Eric Cook) in Ontario, CA. I've had one of his pipes on my Maico 490 and it fit great and didn't have any bad welds on it. At one time Eric had his brother doing all the pipes. That may have changed and now someone else may actually be making them. I agree that is not very good looking.

The best welding job I ever saw on a pipe was done by the guys at Jemco in Houston. I watched him make a CZ pipe for me one afternoon and it was completely gas welded with no rod used at all. Every weld was perfect.

The issue with getting vintage pipes is that there aren't a lot of folks making them any more. Circle F is for sale as Kevin Felle has health issues, Jemco can have a long wait time, and the Euro and Australian pipes cost a fortune to ship to the US.

It would be a good business for someone to get into if they had a passion for it.
wertman194
4/8/2018 8:13pm
Funny, I just received my PFR pipe last week and had plans to have Performance Coatings clearcoat it. When I pulled it out of the box I thought WTF is this? What a mess! I am now thinking a good coat of rust will actually make it look better! It is for a 1980 CR250 and I thought it would be designed close to a CR250 DG pipe of that era, but it pretty much is a copy of the stocker. Silencer is top notch as you stated though.
chuckie108
4/8/2018 9:57pm
I recently put one on my YZ400- fit perfect(which is tough on that bike with the loop around the frame at the back), and looked great.
wfopete
4/9/2018 6:12am
I wonder how many people Eric has making these pipes?

The Shop

wfopete
4/9/2018 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2018 7:25am
This is getting ridiculous! Nice aligment, only an inch off, plus the pipe is 3/4" too long. Anyone know a good phone # for Eric or Maicos Only? No one picks up when I call.

captmoto
4/10/2018 9:07pm
My YZ465 pipe is 5-6 years old and has way better welds on it and was a perfect fit, I was able to drive down there to order and pick up my pipe.
4/11/2018 6:01am
wfopete wrote:
This is getting ridiculous! Nice aligment, only an inch off, plus the pipe is 3/4" too long. Anyone know a good phone # for Eric or...
This is getting ridiculous! Nice aligment, only an inch off, plus the pipe is 3/4" too long. Anyone know a good phone # for Eric or Maicos Only? No one picks up when I call.

I think you'll find it more efficient to cut that inch off your pipe yourself than try to get Eric on the phone.

Getting anyone to pick up the phone at MO is a legendary issue.Unsure
wfopete
4/11/2018 6:48am
wfopete wrote:
This is getting ridiculous! Nice aligment, only an inch off, plus the pipe is 3/4" too long. Anyone know a good phone # for Eric or...

I think you'll find it more efficient to cut that inch off your pipe yourself than try to get Eric on the phone. Getting anyone to...
I think you'll find it more efficient to cut that inch off your pipe yourself than try to get Eric on the phone.

Getting anyone to pick up the phone at MO is a legendary issue.Unsure
I agree! If it were just the lenght I would have shortened it myself and been done with it. The bigger issue is that the two sections don't even line up. The pipe is in place as is the silencer. I left a message and had the dealer I bought the pipe from (AMS) call also.
MaxPower
4/11/2018 2:43pm
I'd be angry about the cheesy brazing. You paid enough for a quality job . The poor fitment is just unacceptable.

Post a reply to: PFR opinions?

The Latest