Edited Date/Time 10/23/2022 6:28am
SOLD.
|
Mike P.
3/8/2015 8:29am
Why not just send the photos to Factory Connection and then give them a call? The lowers are hard anodized, which they do hard anoding of the lower legs (they did mine), but they can defintely tell you if they did the work on these forks.
3/8/2015 8:31am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2017 1:30pm
Mike P. wrote:
Why not just send the photos to Factory Connection and then give them a call? The lowers are hard anodized, which they do hard anoding of...
Why not just send the photos to Factory Connection and then give them a call? The lowers are hard anodized, which they do hard anoding of the lower legs (they did mine), but they can defintely tell you if they did the work on these forks.
Mike P.
3/8/2015 10:48am
Also, the blue end caps lead me to believe these are a set of A-Kit forks, which sell in the $5000 price range used, but before you get too excited those forks (the one's selling in the $5000 range) are newer/current technology forks. If your forks are mid 90s, then they are likely 43mm (measure them), and if so you have to remember that unless someone is trying build a period correct bike with period correct parts, they have choices as suspension is the one thing that has changed and continues to evolve. 2 stroke motor technology had its last big change more than 20 years ago with the introduction of case reed motors & powervalves a few years before that. Since then the only major ongoing change has been suspension. I just built a 1990 RM125 that uses a 144cc Eric Gorr motor with a 38mm carb and this bike is every bit as fast as a modern 2 stroke. When it came to forks, I looked at Works forks of the period, but in the end I choose a set of modern Factory Connection built forks off a 2010 KX250F because all the period forks were between 43 - 45mm and the technology in a pair of stock modern 47mm forks is better (not to mention beefier). All that said, if your forks are a set of A-kit forks, I would start at like $1000 price wise (no-reserve auction on ebay) and see what happens. Here is a picture of the 47mm Showa's on my 1990 RM125. Mike

The Shop

3/8/2015 1:23pm
Mike P. wrote:
Also, the blue end caps lead me to believe these are a set of A-Kit forks, which sell in the $5000 price range used, but before...
Also, the blue end caps lead me to believe these are a set of A-Kit forks, which sell in the $5000 price range used, but before you get too excited those forks (the one's selling in the $5000 range) are newer/current technology forks. If your forks are mid 90s, then they are likely 43mm (measure them), and if so you have to remember that unless someone is trying build a period correct bike with period correct parts, they have choices as suspension is the one thing that has changed and continues to evolve. 2 stroke motor technology had its last big change more than 20 years ago with the introduction of case reed motors & powervalves a few years before that. Since then the only major ongoing change has been suspension. I just built a 1990 RM125 that uses a 144cc Eric Gorr motor with a 38mm carb and this bike is every bit as fast as a modern 2 stroke. When it came to forks, I looked at Works forks of the period, but in the end I choose a set of modern Factory Connection built forks off a 2010 KX250F because all the period forks were between 43 - 45mm and the technology in a pair of stock modern 47mm forks is better (not to mention beefier). All that said, if your forks are a set of A-kit forks, I would start at like $1000 price wise (no-reserve auction on ebay) and see what happens. Here is a picture of the 47mm Showa's on my 1990 RM125. Mike

Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.
Mike P.
3/8/2015 3:53pm
DJFMXPro,

Thanks for pointing that out (NOT works forks). I was under that same illusion until someone corrected me as the kitted forks while super trick and expensive as hell, are not Works forks...and while the Factory Connection forks work probably about as good as you can get, the Works forks were always a little beefier (I believe they were either 45 or 46mm back then). Today you can buy a set of either 49 or 50mm kitted forks and they are way more fork then the average person will ever be able to use. However, factories still have true Works forks as they are continually testing as this is one area they have free reign without many rules but best of all, a lot of that technology makes its way into production (good for us). When Factory Connection finished my forks and I paid the bill (my wallet was way lighter), but they did tell me I would definitely have the best suspension on a vintage bike (not that it helped my wallet any)... Thanks again, Mike
Mike P.
3/8/2015 4:15pm
Measure the outer diameter of the lower fork tube (see the below photo).

450exc115
3/9/2015 3:42am
Just call FC. In 04 when I struggled with my 03 KTM 3 bushing fork FC offered me 90s A-kit KYBs for $400 as a option after 4 revalves of my KTM forks. I considered it but the price of a triple clamp to make them work was in the same price range. I remember them saying they were 43mm. Good luck and cool set of forks.
Kidkawie
3/9/2015 5:45am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2015 5:46am
Those open chamber A-kit forks pop up on Ebay every so often. Last pair I saw (48mm KYB off a KX250F) sold for ~$450. And the lowers are def not Kawasaki. Look like Honda.
Banana_oil
3/10/2015 6:31am
Interesting info. Did they let you know the definition of a B-kit? Obviously the outer legs are different to stock but what about the internals?
3/10/2015 9:17am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2017 1:31pm
Banana_oil wrote:
Interesting info. Did they let you know the definition of a B-kit? Obviously the outer legs are different to stock but what about the internals?
Mike P.
3/4/2016 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2016 6:47pm
I just came across a set of late 80 - early 90s works KYB forks and at first I wasn't quite sure what they were. The seller had stated they were works 94 Suzuki RH forks and while they certainly looked different, Suzuki wasn't using KYB forks at that point (they had switched to Showa's (back around 1990…so I thought). I did some further research and found that Suzuki had been using KYB's on their team bikes but had also started testing/using Showa's somewhere around 89-90, however KYB was the preferred fork until 90 (I can't swear to it, but I'm betting it had something to do with the fact that Showa had at the time and still has a business relationship with Honda).

Anyway, turns out that these forks are in fact works KYB forks used by Suzuki between 88-89. Evidently Suzuki tried many different types of KYB forks (these are a little different than the ones Hannah & Gaddis used as the lowers are billet). However the rest of the forks look like the ones Hannah used (these likely were used in Japan & Europe). These forks are also light gold in color while the stock fork below is silver. One thing that jumped out at me was that KYB continued to use the arched lower axle mount for their works forks (I pointed it out in one of the below photos and there is also a photo of Jeff Wards 92 KX500, which has the same billet arched lower). Take a look at the side by side comparison I made between the Works KYB fork and the stock KYB fork off my 90 RM125. After I posted I realized the numbers I put in the photos were too small so here they are:

Upper triple clamp: Stock 49mm (corrected) Works 54mm
Lower triple clamp: Stock 55mm Works 57mm
Weight (per leg): Stock 115.lbs Works 9.5lbs
Lower fork leg: Stock 59mm Works 63mm
Fork tube size: Stock 41mm Works 43mm

This is the works KYB fork on Jeff Wards 90 KX500

reviseur
6/12/2016 3:19am
Hi i just bought these kyb forks , can anyone tell me if they are works or A/B kit? 46mm

stamped 97- 1 /97-2 on top , have blue parts on the bottom

kxman
6/12/2016 4:15am
reviseur wrote:
Hi i just bought these kyb forks , can anyone tell me if they are works or A/B kit? 46mm stamped 97- 1 /97-2 on top...
Hi i just bought these kyb forks , can anyone tell me if they are works or A/B kit? 46mm

stamped 97- 1 /97-2 on top , have blue parts on the bottom

Kyb kit forks. Pro circuit used and sold them
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
6/12/2016 10:48pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2016 10:50pm
Look like old kyb kitted yz forks. These are my kx ones. Some of them have dlc coated rods, all internals kashima, and dual Pistons. Some of them just had stock internals with dlc lowers and the single piece upper tube.

anniebertmojo
6/13/2016 7:06am
I would call Ross at ENZO Racing. Ross has been with KYB since the 70's and he helped developed most of the technology KYB uses (and still does develop KYB suspension technology). ENZO Racing is the leader regarding KYB suspension. That would be a good jump off point to start with knowing most of the components on the forks.
Cannon
12/30/2016 9:53am
Hi, i have these forks in a Honda Cr250 frpm 89, obviousely not stock, look like Kayabas adcurding to the topcap.
Can anyone help me to determine the year and which bike they came off please?
Cannon
12/30/2016 10:07am
Measurements are:

Upper clamping diameter: 56.85mm
Lower clamping diameter: 58.25mm
Lower legs diameter: 46mm
Axle diameter: 20mm

Thank you!!!!,
FJ993
10/23/2022 6:28am
Mike P. wrote:
I just came across a set of late 80 - early 90s works KYB forks and at first I wasn't quite sure what they were. The...
I just came across a set of late 80 - early 90s works KYB forks and at first I wasn't quite sure what they were. The seller had stated they were works 94 Suzuki RH forks and while they certainly looked different, Suzuki wasn't using KYB forks at that point (they had switched to Showa's (back around 1990…so I thought). I did some further research and found that Suzuki had been using KYB's on their team bikes but had also started testing/using Showa's somewhere around 89-90, however KYB was the preferred fork until 90 (I can't swear to it, but I'm betting it had something to do with the fact that Showa had at the time and still has a business relationship with Honda).

Anyway, turns out that these forks are in fact works KYB forks used by Suzuki between 88-89. Evidently Suzuki tried many different types of KYB forks (these are a little different than the ones Hannah & Gaddis used as the lowers are billet). However the rest of the forks look like the ones Hannah used (these likely were used in Japan & Europe). These forks are also light gold in color while the stock fork below is silver. One thing that jumped out at me was that KYB continued to use the arched lower axle mount for their works forks (I pointed it out in one of the below photos and there is also a photo of Jeff Wards 92 KX500, which has the same billet arched lower). Take a look at the side by side comparison I made between the Works KYB fork and the stock KYB fork off my 90 RM125. After I posted I realized the numbers I put in the photos were too small so here they are:

Upper triple clamp: Stock 49mm (corrected) Works 54mm
Lower triple clamp: Stock 55mm Works 57mm
Weight (per leg): Stock 115.lbs Works 9.5lbs
Lower fork leg: Stock 59mm Works 63mm
Fork tube size: Stock 41mm Works 43mm

This is the works KYB fork on Jeff Wards 90 KX500

Hi Mike
Do you still have this forks and l wonder if you might sell them?

BR
Fredrik

Post a reply to: .

The Latest