Old Part refinishing

Ardfarkl
I had seen a discussion on this a few years back but I can not find it anywhere. There is a process where you can take, for instance, your brake rod. Have it dipped to clean it then recoated in the original finish. What is that called? I want to get my brake rod and lever for the back wheel done but I can not for the life of me remember what that finish is called.
|
Bultaco
9/24/2018 2:44pm
You can make a plating tank and re-zinc it. That's the silver finish on old axles and nuts and bolts.

The slightly yellow finish on nuts and bolts is cadmium.

I'm pretty sure both of those can be done at home. Search YouTube and the web for the instructions. A good friend redid All the hardware on his sixties Triumph. They looked brand-new when he got done.
Ardfarkl
9/24/2018 2:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2018 3:11pm
I am just lucky I remember how to get home! Zinc is what I meant, cadmium sounds interesting though! Thank you!
Bultaco
9/24/2018 3:15pm
Cadmium plating can also be silver or olive drab. Most Japanese Hardware was originally silver cadmium plated. then they kind of went to the slightly goldish yellow color. The last Yamaha I owned in 2002 had the olive or dark colored hardware.

Here is a link I found on a company that shows several of the different products. Any search you do on Google will show you a bunch of it as well.

http://lakecityplating.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlqLdBRCKARIsAPxTGaUiYmLvMu1ne…
newmann
9/24/2018 4:02pm
Look up some posts from members Since73 and Malcomedo. They both did their stuff themselves. Turned out great.

Post a reply to: Old Part refinishing

The Latest