Not another CR!

Related:
Create New Tag

5/9/2015 7:14 PM

I know there's been multitudes of CR's restored on here, but here's mine to add to the list. Rebuilt from the ground up, complete engine, every bearing, every seal. I cant believe how strong the motor is, it absolutely rips. Hope you like it.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

5/9/2015 11:06 PM

Nice job, looks great!

|

5/10/2015 2:26 AM

looks great can only hope mines gets nearly half as good as yours looks. cool

|

5/10/2015 10:54 AM

Good job. Those green backgrounds on the number plates add that extra something. Looks good.

|

5/10/2015 3:29 PM

There can never be too many Honda build threads, looks great!

|

5/10/2015 4:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2015 4:35 PM

Don't say it like you have to make an excuse for another perfect steel frame CR. it's blasphemy that even one of those bikes weren't kept in racing condition at least. Because when I restore a 125 I'm going to be all like" Hey everyone look at my Bad Ass CR125 that I put my passion and soul into now I'm going to beat the snot out of it!"
Great work there you did
I like the black seat and you used the white wing graphics on the 94 bike

|

5/10/2015 5:10 PM

That's a sweet ass bike. My next cr rebuild will be a 97 cr 125 with conventional 49mm for set up.

|

5/10/2015 5:28 PM

Mate that came up really nice!!

|

Instagram @_yabba_dabba_dont_

5/11/2015 3:45 AM

Beautifully done!

|

It's rude to talk about religion. You never know who you're gonna offend

5/11/2015 3:01 PM

That looks incredible. Any details? Did you refinish or buy new cylinder/bottom end?

|

5/11/2015 6:59 PM

Details. ......
Had to build it from a few bikes as its hard to find a good unmolested cr these days. I found a 93 import, a 92 model and a 94 chassis. I decided to go with the 94 chassis as i want to minimize the dreaded cr headshake. And i had the 94 kayaba forks from the 125 which I preferred over the showas on the same year. The 93 was well used but still decent with a good airbox and tank. The 92 bike didn't look like much with its painted old plastics but the frame was good so i took a punt on it. When I test rode it, it wouldn't go into band but still sounded ok. Upon pulling it apart i discovered that the power valve was stuck closed due to not aligning the actuator pin. I pulled off the cylinder to find it was almost new and in fantastic condition. i couldn't believe it. I don't think it was ridden much or too hard by the last owner.

Partzilla lists the same cylinder for 92 and 93, so i wanted to use it based on all the reports of the 93 being an awesome engine. Crank was about 1/2 worn with still heaps of life left in it. But i decided to completely rebuild it, new crank, bearings, seals and topend..all oe parts. Checked up on all the changes made in 93 and ended swapping all the electrics and airboot to make a complete 93 engine. I added a pwk carb and a newer reed block with the splitters and Boyesen reeds and a fatty pipe. Rebuilt the chassis with new rim,spokes, bearings, powdercoating and plastics and put it all back together.

all i can say is wow! What an engine! It absolutely rips from bottom to top. I know everyone says that about their bikes but this thing really does hammer. Its stronger than my 97 kx250. It still steers sharp with only a slight bit of headshake. It feels light and nimble and definitely has a supercross feel to it. Im on my third time revalving the forks and getting close to some good settings.
Finished it off with a top quality graphic and seat kit from Evo-Mx which looks first rate.

Had to build it from a few bikes but ended up with an awesome ride at the end......very happy. Looking forward to racing it in 2 weeks!

|

5/12/2015 5:10 AM

Dunlop decals and kenda tires? not feng shui bro, not feng shui

|

5/12/2015 5:36 AM

Haha. .....well im not sponsored by HRC and I don't smoke either. ......guess the whole things a sham..grin

|

5/12/2015 6:57 AM

>What an engine! It absolutely rips from bottom to top. I know everyone says that about their bikes but this thing really does hammer.

X2

I have a 93 CR250 and compared to my '04 RM250 the only thing it gives up is less low-end. (They even headshake about the same.) Right about the lower mid-range it's like somebody attached a retro rocket. Crazy wheelspin, tries to wheelie, and then it just keeps pulling. You really don't get a more powerful engine per se on newer bikes, just a broader spread. And "broader" isn't necessarily as fun.

Honda really was so far ahead of everyone back then in making powerful, high quality racing machines (super fasteners, deluxe grips, top-drawer plastic, forged levers, great ergonomics, etc.). You really have to restore other brands to appreciate how much thoughtful engineering and commitment to winning Honda put into these bikes.

I've never met someone who restores a steelie Honda who ends up selling it, unless he sells it for another. I did have one friend who sold his '96 CR250 and rode an RMZ450 for a couple of seasons but he ended up selling the Suzuki and buying another '96.

Good stuff Matt! I'll probably hit up Frank for the '93 graphics for my bike.

|

Thanks for the memories and good fellowship guys!

5/12/2015 2:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/12/2015 2:57 PM

MadMatt579 wrote:

Haha. .....well im not sponsored by HRC and I don't smoke either. ......guess the whole things a sham..grin

laughing grown ups smoke, you should try it.
|

5/14/2015 1:22 PM

Beautiful CR!!!

|

5/16/2015 10:34 PM

Bike looks sick!! Which graphics are those? Looking for a set like that for my 93.

|

5/17/2015 5:26 AM

Hey Schwanz22,

Hows your 93 going?

That sticker kit and seat cover is from Evo-mx.com, a top quality product.
Thats the HRC graphics from back in 93/94, just clean and simple. Racing it for the first time this weekend, cant wait!

|

5/17/2015 7:46 AM

I find myself continually returning to tis thread to look at the last 4 pics of the completed bike
I have so many things to worry about doing like painting my house and reroofing it too. Never mind the work I have to do to the motorhome. And your bike has me scanning Craig's for a 93/94 CR125 to build like yours

|

5/17/2015 8:54 PM

Haha....thanks for the compliment. I too have a half finished kitchen because of this bike! But i have a great wife, so im very lucky.

Here's a few more pics for ya.......

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|