Need help finding plastics for vintage dirt bike build

z71will
I'm currently restoring a 1984 Honda cr80. I would like to buy all new plastics for it but I'm having a hard time finding some. The only ones I've seen are a complete set made by DC plastics. I would buy them but I'm a little skeptical as I've bought some from them before. I was building a 1988 yz250 and I bought all UFO plastics except for the side panels because the UFO side panels were very expensive. I decided to buy DC side panels and they looked nothing like the UFO plastics I had. They were textured, not smooth, and were not shiny and they were not near as white as the UFO panels. Also I returned them and bought the UFO plastics and when I saw the UFO ones I realized how flat the DC panels were. They were just very flat and didn't pop out enough. Are all their plastics like that? Also are there any other makers of my plastics? I've searched all over and can't find any other ones.
|
Kidkawie
9/5/2017 6:52am
Try searching using the Honda and UFO/Acerbis part numbers.
z71will
9/6/2017 12:50pm
Kidkawie wrote:
Try searching using the Honda and UFO/Acerbis part numbers.
Can't find anything
oldsocalmxr
9/6/2017 2:02pm
Haven't seen any re-pop plastic that is a true plug and play deal. Be prepared to drill holes, and use a heat gun to make it fit better. VMX and Nightmare seem to be the most decent, but there are still issues.
Rocky739
9/8/2017 5:23am
z71will wrote:
I'm currently restoring a 1984 Honda cr80. I would like to buy all new plastics for it but I'm having a hard time finding some. The...
I'm currently restoring a 1984 Honda cr80. I would like to buy all new plastics for it but I'm having a hard time finding some. The only ones I've seen are a complete set made by DC plastics. I would buy them but I'm a little skeptical as I've bought some from them before. I was building a 1988 yz250 and I bought all UFO plastics except for the side panels because the UFO side panels were very expensive. I decided to buy DC side panels and they looked nothing like the UFO plastics I had. They were textured, not smooth, and were not shiny and they were not near as white as the UFO panels. Also I returned them and bought the UFO plastics and when I saw the UFO ones I realized how flat the DC panels were. They were just very flat and didn't pop out enough. Are all their plastics like that? Also are there any other makers of my plastics? I've searched all over and can't find any other ones.
Look at TUF racing website, they are the US importer for UFO plastic. The DC stuff is better than nothing, barely because its vacuum molded they can make things easily and without super expensive molds...

The Shop

z71will
9/8/2017 10:23am
Rocky739 wrote:
Look at TUF racing website, they are the US importer for UFO plastic. The DC stuff is better than nothing, barely because its vacuum molded they...
Look at TUF racing website, they are the US importer for UFO plastic. The DC stuff is better than nothing, barely because its vacuum molded they can make things easily and without super expensive molds...
I looked and the earliest year they have is 1996. Also the DC plastics are very expensive compared to other makers plastics for other bikes.
wfo4ever
9/8/2017 9:37pm
DC Plastics are not even close to stock plastic. Do not waste your money unless you are just going to race it and don't care what it looks like.
z71will
9/9/2017 9:54am
wfo4ever wrote:
DC Plastics are not even close to stock plastic. Do not waste your money unless you are just going to race it and don't care what...
DC Plastics are not even close to stock plastic. Do not waste your money unless you are just going to race it and don't care what it looks like.
Who should I buy from then? I've looked all over the internet and haven't found anyone else that makes them. My plastics are all scratched up and on top of that it's missing the front number plate. I'm trying to do a complete restoration and I cannot have beat up plastics.
9/9/2017 6:26pm
Have you tried looking for used ones on ebay? You can polish them if in decent shape.
123-rit
9/11/2017 8:20am
Not sure how bad your plastics are ... if it's not deep gouges just surface scratches it is possible to restore the originals. I had a buddy that restored his and they turned out great.
Mouse153
9/11/2017 10:52am
Haven't seen any re-pop plastic that is a true plug and play deal. Be prepared to drill holes, and use a heat gun to make it...
Haven't seen any re-pop plastic that is a true plug and play deal. Be prepared to drill holes, and use a heat gun to make it fit better. VMX and Nightmare seem to be the most decent, but there are still issues.
Does Nightmare make Honda plastic too? I thought they just did KX plastics?
Bman_145
9/11/2017 11:52am
I agree you should not waste your money with DC plastics. They are made using vacuum forming vs the injection molding that UFO and other top guys use. You will not be very happy with it.

Restoring plastic isn't easy, but you can get a good look I think you would be happy with. Just keep looking online for the best of the used stuff and then go from there.
z71will
9/11/2017 1:15pm
Ok Ive decided to restore the ones I have now and for the ones that are too far gone, I'll just replace them with other used ones and restore them as well. It's going to be a lot more work but at least it's cheaper and will look nicer.
KDXGarage
9/17/2017 3:14am
Of f topic of sorts, but does anyone know if DC plastics has the molds from the 30 years ago Maier parts? I know Maier plastic was like the OP described with the texturing and dullness.

Post a reply to: Need help finding plastics for vintage dirt bike build

The Latest