Mugen Keihin HRC carb on ebay?

Mike P.
9/24/2017 11:04am Edited Date/Time 9/24/2017 8:48pm
Hey all, I need someone to weigh in on this one. There's a supposed Mugen carb on eBay. I was interested, but I've done some digging and a few things are throwing me off with this carb. First, Honda (not Mugen) had a relationship with Keihin and made carbs for them. I also do not remember Mugen ever making a carb nor selling them one with their engine kits. The carb on ebay is a round slide & Honda last used a roundslide in 84, so the carb on ebay is defintely late 70's - early 80's (it would fit the Mugen timeframe). But, when I compared this carb to photos of black Keihin factory carbs, the HRC carbs either had the word "Keihin" in raised letters or they had no letters at all on them? HRC carbs were also sand cast (most of them) and had billet caps. The two carbs in the photo below look identical down to how the word "Keihin" was stamped on them. I took a picture of the Mugen carb on ebay & a photo of a CR125 carb (around 83/84) and this carb looks like a stock 34mm carb painted black. I would love to have an HRC carb, but I would also hate to pay 1K for a $20.00 stocker...would love someone to weigh in with more knowledge for sure!

Ebay # 232492243268

Stock 34mm Honda CR125 carb

|
newmann
9/24/2017 7:31pm
I can't tell you what the differences are between that one and a stocker but I can tell you that the seller posts here on occasion and has more Mugen stuff than you can shake a stick at. He's legit and a bit secretive...lol. Good guy! He started that carb at a few hundred bucks and with an hour left it is sitting at damn near $1700.00. How do you spell holy shit?Woohoo
Mike P.
9/24/2017 8:48pm
Thanks Newmann, I asked him specific imformation about this carb (like the part #) and he never responded so I think I'm going to pass...a part number would defintitely tell the tale...the buyer has options with ebay so let's just see what happens!
Mr. Sandman
9/24/2017 10:22pm
Right now I spell holy shit $2025! Holy shit!?!? $2025 for a black 34mm Keihin carb that looks just the stock 34mm Keihin carb that came on my 85 ATC250R (except this one is black). Did I say holy shit?
Mike P.
9/25/2017 10:59am
Mr. Sandman,

I got the same thing as everything I found leads me to believe this was a 81-84ish era carb (looks stock). Good for my wallet as I do not own a 125 from those years so no bidding for me! I am a contasure of Mugen parts, but nothing I could find led me to believe Mugen ever made a carb and in this case, Keihin is carb source to Honda (have been for years, providing them with both stock and works carbs), however I could not find where Mugen used or sourced a works Keihin carb during those years (81 - 84) for their bikes or engine kits (not saying they didn't, I just couldn't find it). And the Mugen box has me a bit baffaled to because Mugen made their own parts (remember, Keihin is a separate company). I also noticed a difference in how the word "Keihin" was applied to the works vs. stock carbs of that era. The word "Keihin" is engraved in black on the stock carb and silver on the works carb. Also, the cap (or top set) is also billet on the works carb (the one on ebay looks to be stock). It's really details like that separate these parts a lot of the time.

Post a reply to: Mugen Keihin HRC carb on ebay?

The Latest