Maico 440 setup help

Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
Edited Date/Time 5/19/2021 10:44am
I recently bought a 78 Maico and had some issues on my first ride.

The first thing was the clutch. I noticed it had 0 play in the lever so I adjusted it so it would have approx a 1/4" like most bikes. When I would put it into gear it would lurch and when I was on the track I could feel it slipping when I was on the gas hard.

What is the typical setup for a Maico clutch? It's a Jeff Mullins modified clutch that's supposed to be top-of-the-line Maico stuff. Sounds like I should've never tried to adjust the clutch and rode it how it was.

Secondly, the forks were the worst thing I've ever felt. It felt like they didn't move at all! My friend watching said it appeared as though they were at 1/2 travel no matter where I was on the track and they never moved. Felt like I had no movement in front and of course extremely harsh.

So I ordered Racetech springs and emulators to try them. Started taking the forks apart last night and they had emulators in already and I could tell it was fresh oil! The emulators were on the yellow springs without a lot of preload on them.

Why would the forks ride so low in the stroke and then be so harsh? Doesn't make sense. The extra holes were in the dampening rods and the forks appeared to be set up correctly.

Guess I'll throw in my springs and see what happens.

|
5/18/2021 12:01pm
Nice looking bike! The best thing you can do is join the Vintage Maico website on facebook A lot of very helpfull people on it will help you out
Bret
5/18/2021 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2021 1:10pm
You need to adjust the lever so there is the least amount of play possible (in my experience). Disengaging a Maico clutch requires the full throw of the clutch arm. It is also very important that the stack height of the plates is within spec listed in the manual. Use a clutch lever that offers the most amount of travel. Bend the clutch arm slightly to shorten it and give you more clutch disengagement. Lube the cables and lever pivots regularly. It takes lots of trial and error but once it is dialed in it will function well and last for years. I generally only use the clutch on my Maico to leave the pits and the starting line. After that I let the phenomenal engine do all the work.

The Shop

indy_maico
5/19/2021 9:37am
I had a 250 Magnum that I tried to upgrade with modern levers and perches. I couldn't get the clutch side to work properly and had similar problems to what you have.
It turns out that the Magura clutch lever and perch has a different leverage ratio and travel compared to modern stuff.
Once I installed genuine Magura parts on the clutch side I was good to go.
Bret
5/19/2021 10:44am
indy_maico wrote:
I had a 250 Magnum that I tried to upgrade with modern levers and perches. I couldn't get the clutch side to work properly and had...
I had a 250 Magnum that I tried to upgrade with modern levers and perches. I couldn't get the clutch side to work properly and had similar problems to what you have.
It turns out that the Magura clutch lever and perch has a different leverage ratio and travel compared to modern stuff.
Once I installed genuine Magura parts on the clutch side I was good to go.
I tried the same thing. Magura is the only way to go with a Maico Clutch.

Post a reply to: Maico 440 setup help

The Latest