Looking for my MX. Holy Grail, pictures or video of the 1973 Trans-Am at Arizona Cycle park.

Related:
Create New Tag

1/25/2013 8:04 PM

Like the title says, I'm Looking for my MX. Holy Grail, pictures or video of the 1973 Trans-Am at Arizona Cycle park at 16th St. just south of the river bottom.

This was the very first Motocross race I ever saw, I was ten years old and memory's of it are very vague cloudy, I didn't start racing till 4 years later in 1977 at Bee line Motocross, by then the Arizona Cycle Park was long gone.

Some of my older racing buddy's have told me story's about the track and the two Trans-Am races they had there, but I've never seen any write ups in magazines or any picture from that race or any from just weekend races.

What I do remember was my Dad four wheeled his truck through the river bottom and up the side embankment and parked at the top embankment and you could see what I believe was most of the track. The part of the track that I could see all seem to be in a pit or valley below and then the rest of the track seemed to be up on top and on the other side of the pit which I could not see.

Some other things that I remember was the big drop off jump that from were I was watching ( and from a 10 years old first time at a MX race ) looked like it was the biggest drop off Jump ever conceived by anyone even to this day, but I'm sure if I saw the same drop off today I wouldn't think anything of it. But at the time it seemed pretty impressive, It also seemed to about half way down be inverted some what so that if you tried to just ride down it you would drop off and leave the ground no matter what.

There was also a pond or water hole in the middle of the track, and I remember a guy on a green Kawasaki loosing control and going into the pond, I've been told by different people that it was Brad Lackey, but not sure.

Also I remember seeing another bike go flying off the track and running into a bunch of spectators. A child hood friend and race buddy later told me that he and his friends were in that group , and that one of there girl friends was the one that got hit and hurt real bad, I've also been told by someone else that she later died of her injury's, again not 100% sure if true.

The only other thing I remember was right below were I was standing and watching there was a long sweeping curve that had some pretty nasty looking whoops that went all the way up to the upper part of the track that I could not see.

Here's the results from that day , I found them on http://vault.racerxonline.com/

1 Pierre Karsmakers

2 Tim Hart

3 Peter Lamppu

4 Rich Thorwaldson

5 Gary Semics

6 Steve Stackable

7 Mike Runyard

8 Gary Jones

9 Gary Chaplin

10 John DeSoto

11 Brad Lackey

12 Marty Tripes

13 Jim West

I did find this video on Youtube that shows some Phoenix MX tracks from the early 70s and if you look at about the 1:54 mark the track kinda looks like what I remember about the big ACP. down hill drop off and the right turn at the bottom. If any of you old AZ. MXers that were there that day or you use to race there a lot, could watch it and confirm that it is the original ACP. that would be cool.

Here's the video.

Also the video shows what appears to be to other Phx. tracks, the first one I have know idea what track it is maybe ? 80 yard (not sure if that's how it spelled), that's also another track I would like to see picture or video's of. The third track looks like it is out by PIR, I know they had a MX track out there at one time, and they even had National event of some sort, when I looked in the Vault for some result I could not find anything under Phoenix International Raceway, but I found results for a 1976 Fastrack Motocross Park in Phoenix AZ. here are the results.

http://vault.racerxonline.com/1976-04-11/250mx/fastrack-motocross-park

Anyway if any guys have any memory's, info, pics or videos from ACP Trans-Am or any of the other tracks I mention here, please share them, I would love to see or hear anything you guys could come up with. I love hearing and learning about the History of Motocross.

Thanks Mike AKA. ''Donny O' Slow''
|

My real name is Mike from Phoenix AZ. and this is all just a fantasy.

1/31/2013 11:07 PM

Does anyone here even remember this race ?

|

2/9/2013 7:06 AM

I found a flier from the race.

Photo

|

2/10/2013 11:22 AM

I do remember just a snipit about in a old motocross action mag.if that was really the mag.that i seen in.It to suprised me that there was a trans.am in phoenix.That did ring a bell about Pierre Kasmakers winning thats all i remember that the mag. had is the rider results.It is a forgotten race that never got to much reported about I lieved down in southern az. at that time my dad took me to a scramble over in Tuson in 1968 watching the old maicos bultacos and ossa the guy that won was on a Harly kind of out classed in cc or cu.in.I think you made history going to that trans.am

|

3/1/2013 5:20 PM

I was there that day in '73. A friend that went with me had checked out a camera from his high school photography class and I still have some color pictures of racing action and a few from the pits.

I believe the results shown on the Racer X link are only for "American" riders. You'll notice that the names of DeCoster, Weil, Bauer, Wolsink, etc. are missing. I know Lamppu and Karsmakers are not Americans but I believe they were considered as such since they had been riding the US national MX series. Adolf Weil was the overall winner that day. I'll see if I can find more results in an old magazine.

I think the flier might be from the '72 Trans-AMA series. As I remember it the round in Houston was just before Phoenix in '73. That Houston event was the first time that an American (Jim Weinert) had won an open class overall Trans-AMA race and I was really surprised at the time to see it covered in the local newspaper.

The video looks to have some footage of racing at Manzanita raceway. I used to ride with a guy that had raced some of the motocross there in the early 70's. Another race captured on the film might be a race that was held in the Dreamy Draw area in around '70 or '71. The same guy had raced there and told me about that too.

There were two Fasttrack races. An AMA national as well as a Trans-AMA. I have the race programs for both and some pictures too but they're all black and white and not as nice as the ones for the '73 race.

If you're interested shoot me an e-mail and we can hook up so you can look at all this stuff. I live in south Chandler.

|

3/2/2013 10:20 AM

Hey JD thats awesome that you were there there that day and have pictures and results.

(JD wrote) >>> I believe the results shown on the Racer X link are only for "American" riders. You'll notice that the names of DeCoster, Weil, Bauer, Wolsink, etc. are missing. I know Lamppu and Karsmakers are not Americans but I believe they were considered as such since they had been riding the US national MX series. Adolf Weil was the overall winner that day.

I just noticed that the other day as well and was trying to figure that out .

I would definite like to hook up with you some time to check out what you have, but I just lost my job and I'm real short on money, I live in NE. Phx. and cant really afford to drive to much right now.

You don't by chance have a way to scan and post the pictures you have ? if not I'm sure sometime in the future I could make it out your way.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

|

3/6/2013 2:58 PM

To Donny O'Slow, That's my video you posted. The 1st race is At Beardsly Race Track in N Phx. Gary Wells was the jumper. 2nd race was at ACP 1972 Trans AMA. 3rd race Manzy, with John Desoto doing all the wheelies. The 4th race as JD147 said was Dreamy Draw 1971.

JD147, I'd really like to see some of your old pictures. Seems we were at the same places at the same time. Gimme a call

Bill @ Motorcycle Accessory Shop 480-835-6228

|

3/6/2013 7:43 PM

Uncle Bill wrote:

To Donny O'Slow, That's my video you posted. The 1st race is At Beardsly Race Track in N Phx. Gary Wells was the jumper. 2nd race was at ACP 1972 Trans AMA. 3rd race Manzy, with John Desoto doing all the wheelies. The 4th race as JD147 said was Dreamy Draw 1971.

JD147, I'd really like to see some of your old pictures. Seems we were at the same places at the same time. Gimme a call

Bill @ Motorcycle Accessory Shop 480-835-6228

Hey Bill, thanks for coming on board and telling all the History to this video. I hope you don't mind me posting it on here, if so I will remove it. It's a real cool old video, especially because it's old MX from Phx.
Are you in any of the video ?

Hey the Dreamy Draw track was it close to were the Mountain preserve is now ?

Well it looks like I found part of my Grail, can't wait to see JDs old pics.

|

3/6/2013 9:39 PM

Mike, I did race the races at Dreamy Draw. But was behind the camera for the rest. The track can still be seen on the south side of the Dreamy Draw Freeway.. Are you gonna race anymore ADVRA this season?

|

3/7/2013 11:24 AM

Bill,

What hours are you open on Fridays? I'll stop by with some pictures and programs.

JD

|

3/7/2013 3:54 PM

I'm open 9:00---6:00 Mon through Sat. 2319 W Main, Mesa, Az block west of Dobson.

Bill

|

3/7/2013 6:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2013 6:42 PM

Uncle Bill wrote:

Mike, I did race the races at Dreamy Draw. But was behind the camera for the rest. The track can still be seen on the south side of the Dreamy Draw Freeway.. Are you gonna race anymore ADVRA this season?

Hey Bill I will look for it next time I drive by there. As far as racing goes for me , it will probably be awhile before I race again, I need to find Job with good insurance before I can get back to racing. I was just talking to Jerry M.about his injury, and even with his Insurance it's costing him an Arm and a Leg , no pun intended.

JD wrote>>> Bill, What hours are you open on Fridays? I'll stop by with some pictures and programs.

Hey JD are you going to stop by Bills tomorrow ? if so what time ? maybe I could meet you guys up there . Bills place is not to far from were I'm at tomorrow.

|

3/8/2013 3:39 PM

Mike,

Sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you today when I was at Bill's. I'm off on most Friday's and would be willing to meet you there if we can agree on a time. Bill scanned some of the images and program covers so you may have already seen some of the goods by now and may not be interested in any more.

Let me know.

JD

|

3/8/2013 9:24 PM

JD147 wrote:

Mike,

Sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you today when I was at Bill's. I'm off on most Friday's and would be willing to meet you there if we can agree on a time. Bill scanned some of the images and program covers so you may have already seen some of the goods by now and may not be interested in any more.

Let me know.

JD

Hey JD ,

yea that was to bad I could not be there, I talk to Bill and he said you guys spent a lot of time reminiscing about all this, and he said, come to find out, you guys knew each other back then, that cool you guys could reunite after all the years about this race and racing back then.

Yea Bill said he scanned some and when he had time he would try to post them here , if thats alright with you.

I would still like to see everything you have, so yea If we could meet up there maybe next Friday late in the afternoon if possible ? that would be great.

Let me know.

Thanks Mike

|

3/12/2013 5:41 PM

Mike,

It turns out I'm not going to be able to make up to Bill's this weekend. If it works for you how about somtime on Friday 3/22 or any time before 2PM on Saturday 3/23?

JD

|

3/13/2013 12:01 AM

JD147 wrote:

Mike,

It turns out I'm not going to be able to make up to Bill's this weekend. If it works for you how about somtime on Friday 3/22 or any time before 2PM on Saturday 3/23?

JD

Yea lets shoot for Fri. 3/22

|

3/21/2013 7:20 PM

Mike,

Are we on for tomorrow at Bill's? I'm available from 4-6PM.

JD

|

3/21/2013 8:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2013 9:45 PM

JD147 wrote:

Mike,

Are we on for tomorrow at Bill's? I'm available from 4-6PM.

JD

Yes , I will be there at 4:30. I sent you a PM. with my number to call to comfirm or if something happens that you can't make it.

Looking forward to it.

Mike

|

3/24/2013 11:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/24/2013 11:48 PM

Hey JD, it was a pleasure meeting you on Fri. thank you for bringing all your photos and programs, it was great to see all of them, and to talk about the good old days of MX.
Take care.
Mike

|

6/29/2013 11:10 PM

Hey I did it, I found the CN write up on the race, I'm so excited I finanly found something on this race.
Check it out, here it is.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

9/25/2013 4:31 PM

Donny O'Slow O'Hara wrote:

Hey I did it, I found the CN write up on the race, I'm so excited I finanly found something on this race.
Check it out, here it is.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Wow, that is very cool guys. I was at that race as well as two other Trans-Am's, including at PIR. Hey the guy on the green Kawasaki that went into the lake was Billy Grossi, he was fighting with big Bryar Holcomb on the factory Bultaco. Holcomb forced Grossi way wide on the downhill and over the berm into the lake it was great racing. The big downhill was simply called the seventy footer, would scare the sh*t out of you no matter how many times you went over. The best of times there.

|

1/6/2014 7:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2014 7:29 PM

Quote from TH35 >>>Wow, that is very cool guys. I was at that race as well as two other Trans-Am's, including at PIR. Hey the guy on the green Kawasaki that went into the lake was Billy Grossi, he was fighting with big Bryar Holcomb on the factory Bultaco. Holcomb forced Grossi way wide on the downhill and over the berm into the lake it was great racing. The big downhill was simply called the seventy footer, would scare the sh*t out of you no matter how many times you went over. The best of times there.

Hey TH35, that's awesome that you went to all those races, do you have any pictures from any of those races ?

I manage to find a picture from 1973, of the Big Downhill Seventy footer on facebook, check it out.

Photo
|

8/4/2014 11:08 PM

I'm so excited, w00t I just found a whole bunch more pictures from this race on Facebook, it feels so good to finally be able to see pictures of what I remember from this day being at my very first Motocross race. smile

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

3/4/2016 1:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2018 10:35 AM

I was there at ACP in 73 and Weinert’s bike throttle stuck open. It threw him off, then flipped up into the crowd, critically injuring two spectators. I heard that one lady ended up passing away but I really dont know. He then crashed and broke his collarbone in the race, which ended his season.
Also Fastback raceway is PIR 1976 I raced in the support 500 class there on a CZ. Rodger Jones from AZ. also raced in the 250 and placed mid way that night at Fastback. I have a few pics from that night but will have to dig them up.

Bret

|

3/5/2016 1:29 AM

What a cool story, glad you guys could all reunite and come up with some great pictures. That is a huge downhill for 1973!

|

He not busy being born is busy dying.

3/5/2016 6:00 AM

Good stuff guys, and great history. Where on FB is this?
Looks like an awesome track and good racing.
Also, fun to read the race coverage, interesting how that aspect has changed over the years.

|

still trying to follow Dad's golden rule..."USE YOUR HEAD FOR SOMETHING MORE THAN A HAT RACK!"
current rides:
'13 250SX
'17 701 Husky

3/5/2016 6:36 AM

Love this stuff from the early/mid 70's thanks man!

|

If you like uncle tony's meatballs, you'll love his sausage

Now that's Italian