Looking for Boyesen Power Reeds reviews

barnett468
1/5/2019 5:18pm
I was wondering if anyone here has removed a set of stock metal reed petals from their original reed block that were in good condition and installed the boyesen 2 stage fiberglass reed petals on their orig reed block and noticed an obvious difference for the worse or for the better anywhere in the powerband.

Please also list exactly what bike it was on and maybe whether it was a same day back to back test or not.

Thanks in advance for any info.

|
Oldschool
1/6/2019 5:23pm
#1 The RadValve is a Night And Day performance gain. 2ND
Boyseen reeds give you instant throttle response like going to fuel injection as opposed to cracking the throttle open and getting that " WHHAA" 1st....

barnett468
1/6/2019 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2019 6:23pm
Oldschool wrote:
#1 The RadValve is a Night And Day performance gain. 2ND Boyseen reeds give you instant throttle response like going to fuel injection as opposed to...
#1 The RadValve is a Night And Day performance gain. 2ND
Boyseen reeds give you instant throttle response like going to fuel injection as opposed to cracking the throttle open and getting that " WHHAA" 1st....

Did you change from steel reeds?

What bike did you try these on?

They don't advertise a rad valve for a 1980 yz250 but one from another bike may fit i suppose.

I think moto tassinari makes a v force3 but obviously that is different then the rad valve.

Thanks for the info.

quicken
1/6/2019 6:35pm
V-Force reed block from a '89-96 YZ250 is usually the go to mod for your bike.

Even without a performance gain, removing the steel reeds and the potential damage from a broken one is worth the upgrade.
Rocky739
1/6/2019 7:24pm
If there is a V force reed block available I'd go that direction, I got to test a Rad valve vs Boyesen carbon reeds on stock block vs V force and there was no comparison in my CR250 Honda and discussing the motor build on my 82 RM 250 I'm doing now, Tom Morgan hands down said go with V force, good enough for me... I know a lot of people like Boyesen but remember Nickleback has sold millions of albums too.
I would change to any carbon or fiberglass reed at a minimum as quicken mentioned, one of those old metal reeds will do some damage if it fails. Often forgotten but still around is Carbon tech reeds, they were what we used back in the 90's on the pro bikes we built. Still come in a CD case, LOL

The Shop

1/7/2019 2:11am
To be honest back in the day I used boyesen fiberglass Reeds on 80, 125 and 250 cc bikes,
Being a squid c rider and not making any jetting changes I could never feel any difference.
1/7/2019 6:08am
I always felt a major diff in power (for the better) using Boyesen reeds. That was one of the cheapest hop-up parts you could buy.
barnett468
1/9/2019 7:23pm
well i got a set now and will hopefully do a back to back test with them on friday at elsinore.

Banana_oil
1/11/2019 12:39am
A friend of mine lost 4hp (dyno test) by mounting a rad valve on his cr125
barnett468
1/11/2019 6:54am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2019 6:57am
Banana_oil wrote:
A friend of mine lost 4hp (dyno test) by mounting a rad valve on his cr125
In some cases there is more to it then just mounting a reed valve. The top end with the reed valve i used was set up similarily to the top end that mossbarger made that got a holeshot at a national on the same year bike against the fastest riders in the us. I also got the holeshot with it in nearly every single race i ran it at in ahrma in the expert class and one of the bikes i ran against was a rotary valve can am which was actually not legal for that class. That guy won most of the races and the overall for the year. Besides, we are not talking about adding a reed valve to a non reed valve bike but thanks for the info, all of it can be useful.
Oldschool
1/11/2019 8:12am
I talked a friend into putting Boyseen two stage reeds on his wave runner
It gave him more power but he said now his prop / impeller " cavitated" ?
barnett468
1/11/2019 8:18am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2019 8:28am
Oldschool wrote:
I talked a friend into putting Boyseen two stage reeds on his wave runner It gave him more power but he said now his prop /...
I talked a friend into putting Boyseen two stage reeds on his wave runner
It gave him more power but he said now his prop / impeller " cavitated" ?
lol, yup, i know a bit about cavitation because i also did a lot of work on watercraft when i worked at kawasaki. in his case, it was similar to adding more hp to a car with skinny tires. all it does is make the ires spin faster so bigger tires need to be added. in his case, it is not so easy to add a "bigger" impeller. this being said, the pro level jet skis had a lot more power than a stock one but the also had modified impellers and grates etc.

Were these the 2 stage fiberglass power reeds or a complete reed valve assy?

MaxPower
1/12/2019 2:08pm
I used Carbon Tech mid reeds on my KX. Boyeseen reeds just seem like too much going on to simply flow air. I've never felt any improvement using them. I tried a Rad Valve on a cr125. I removed it as it screwed up the power and I didn't have time to set it up right. I can't see why it would not immediately work better. The castings looked like it would flow air nice.
I may get a V Force for the KX in time
barnett468
1/12/2019 2:23pm
MaxPower wrote:
I used Carbon Tech mid reeds on my KX. Boyeseen reeds just seem like too much going on to simply flow air. I've never felt any...
I used Carbon Tech mid reeds on my KX. Boyeseen reeds just seem like too much going on to simply flow air. I've never felt any improvement using them. I tried a Rad Valve on a cr125. I removed it as it screwed up the power and I didn't have time to set it up right. I can't see why it would not immediately work better. The castings looked like it would flow air nice.
I may get a V Force for the KX in time
Thanks for the info. As far as different reed material only goes, one shouldn't make a big difference in performance over another, obviously the point of the boeysen 2 stage reeds over any type of singe stage reed is to hopefully increase the low end power at the very least. I was going to try them yesterday but because practicing was going so well and they close elsinore at 2:00pm, I didn't want to stop to swap them

oldmxracer
5/16/2019 11:28pm
My "go-to" mods were Boyesen reeds and ANSWER mufflers on late 70's early 80's bikes.
SLOWTIME
5/18/2019 3:43am
I’ve had good results with the pro series reeds on 93-96 cr125s. I also put a rad valve on a 94 kx125 restoration.. and parked it in the corner after chasing jetting around and around. I had no luck with the rad valve.
tmphotoart
Fantasy
1257th
9/29/2022 12:15am
Worked well on my 1980 YZ250G - replaced the stock steel reeds with Stage-Two reeds, crisper throttle response on the low / middle range but not much difference wide open . . . BRAAPP!
9/29/2022 5:33am
barnett468 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone here has removed a set of stock metal reed petals from their original reed block that were in good condition and...
I was wondering if anyone here has removed a set of stock metal reed petals from their original reed block that were in good condition and installed the boyesen 2 stage fiberglass reed petals on their orig reed block and noticed an obvious difference for the worse or for the better anywhere in the powerband.

Please also list exactly what bike it was on and maybe whether it was a same day back to back test or not.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Thats the first thing I remove on all of my bike purchases. Been doing it for 35 years, and by golly, they run crisp and have some pretty dam good power. Boysen makes some good products.

Post a reply to: Looking for Boyesen Power Reeds reviews

The Latest