1996 cr250 build ...refresh

sandman768
12/10/2018 6:06am
TooOld4WFO wrote:
Sandman, I’m restoring back to stock a 95 CR 250. I also have bent lower frame tubes. I was intrigued by how yours were pulled out...
Sandman, I’m restoring back to stock a 95 CR 250. I also have bent lower frame tubes. I was intrigued by how yours were pulled out. Did you do the work or have someone do it?
If you had someone do it how did you find them?

I was going to leave mine the way they are since I will have a skid plate covering. I was under the impression the only way to fix was to cut out the sections and put new in.

Great looking build. What did you attribute loosing the gear tooth to?
If the frame tube is not too bad you can weld tabs in the dent & heat up the area then use a dent puller to pullout, if the tube us flattened , they are easily replaced by a competent weld/fab shop. Mine was not too bad so I did it myself. My brother and I have a welder & body shop experience. You wan to make sure the frame rails are not pushed up too bad, an easy way to check this is to use your lower engine mount bolt as a test, with engine out, see if the lower bolt slides through both frame rails easily, if it does the rails are still aligned good, if the bolt does not slide through the rails easily, one of the rails is pushed up from impacts, if that is the case, I would have the tail replaced, make sure you bolt in both engine mount bolts & swingarm bolt prior to cutting & welding, as they will provide alignment for the rail replacement. I use a fab shop that builds/repairs dirt track car frames & crash rails, they bend, form & weld this type of tubing all the time... I have no idea why one of the gears broke a tooth off... The first lower end rebuild was done by one of the best Honda techs in my area, so nothing was done incorrectly. I had around 11-12 hrs on the bike before the gear broke, very clean break, a tooth broke & jammed another gear causing the shafts to lock & put pressure on the case where the clutch actuation arm area is...Luckily I was in a low speed tight turn & just pulled the clutch in & pushed it back to the pits... If it had let go in a high speed section, it would have destroyed a lot more...we did replace a couple gears during the first rebuild, but overall my tech said the tranny look pretty good. The bike had some good time on it before I bought it, so who knows how many hrs were actually on the gears. The next time I go into my shop I will check to see what gears we replaced back when we first rebuilt it, curious to see if one of the gears I replaced broke...I should be firing this thing up sometime this week...I"m pretty confident I did everything correctly, I"m still learning, but the last few bottom ends I have done have worked good. Post up your build!
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1435th
12/10/2018 12:36pm
Thanks brother for the info and effort through your response.
I checked with a welding shop that does custom mufflers and one concern was putting too much heat on the steel and making it brittle. Frame rail replacement was also discussed briefly. My area like yours I'm sure was around a 6" area. Bike was complete before I took it apart. I'm confident frame is not tweaked.
I know my skid plate will cover the damage but just knowing its there is troubling.

I have already been collecting loads of images from the tear down. I wish mine was in the shape as yours at the start. I didn't even try to start it and just cared about it not being locked up.
I plan to create a thread on my rebuild once I have more to show on the progress going back together.
sandman768
12/11/2018 9:22am
TooOld4WFO wrote:
Thanks brother for the info and effort through your response. I checked with a welding shop that does custom mufflers and one concern was putting too...
Thanks brother for the info and effort through your response.
I checked with a welding shop that does custom mufflers and one concern was putting too much heat on the steel and making it brittle. Frame rail replacement was also discussed briefly. My area like yours I'm sure was around a 6" area. Bike was complete before I took it apart. I'm confident frame is not tweaked.
I know my skid plate will cover the damage but just knowing its there is troubling.

I have already been collecting loads of images from the tear down. I wish mine was in the shape as yours at the start. I didn't even try to start it and just cared about it not being locked up.
I plan to create a thread on my rebuild once I have more to show on the progress going back together.
My cr did not start out as a very clean low hr bike...I had been looking for over a year and it came up for sale, it had a lot of Pro Circuit parts on it, turns out I knew the original owner, as the title still had his name on it...so I talked to him & he told me he had pro circuit do just about everything they offered in 96. Unfortunetly after he sold it, the next few owners were not so kind to it.....It came with a bunch of spares and really good period correct aftermarket parts...so I bought it knowing it was a full rebuild of everything.....
sandman768
12/11/2018 9:25am
Should have it finished up later today .....thought I would do a quick cleanup in the pipe ...2 hrs later it's good enough..

The Shop

sandman768
12/11/2018 11:41am
Just have to add coolant & fire it up...for the guys that have these bikes, if you find the frame holes by the steer stem an eye sore, I have a simple solution....Ktm makes a push in plastic cable/wire guide works good, cost under 5.00$

RyanLester761
12/14/2018 3:02pm
Man, I would love to rip that bike on an open mx track. One of my favorites for sure and definitely on the bucket list. Please post some riding videos when you can. Nice job.
sandman768
12/14/2018 7:01pm
Man, I would love to rip that bike on an open mx track. One of my favorites for sure and definitely on the bucket list. Please...
Man, I would love to rip that bike on an open mx track. One of my favorites for sure and definitely on the bucket list. Please post some riding videos when you can. Nice job.
I'm looking forward to testing out my work....have about 3 months to go before the ground thaws out!

Post a reply to: 1996 cr250 build ...refresh

The Latest