Lechien Tribute YZ125

Edited Date/Time 5/28/2019 4:22pm
I owned and raced a 1983 yz125K back in the day. Recently, me and a few friends decided to get into VMX racing. I chose the 83 YZ125 as I always thought it was one of the best bikes I ever owned, being light, fast and reliable. There were none in OZ at the time, so I located one in New Jersey and had it shipped over. When I first saw pics of Lechien’s OW125, I decided to make a tribute model.

The OZ models were white, so shipping a yellow one from the US made sense at the time but it was an expensive and regrettable decision. Anyway, I stripped the old girl down and set about a total rebuild. The theme was Lechien’s OW125, but using the Yamaha 1983 Race Report to make the bike a competitive VMX racer.

Lechien was sponsored by Wrangler, Maxima, and Scott etc…, so I trolled the internet looking for pics and then replicated the decals and jersey he ran back in the day. MXM on here made a great replica jersey that I hope to get signed one day.

|
8/3/2015 3:00am
The OW125 ran a DLS front brake. The 1983 YZ125 had a single leading shoe. I found a DLS on Ebay and reconditioned it and fit it so that the setup was the same. I believe the OW had 43mm front forks, but I never had a problem with the light weight 38mm forks so these were kept, but fully rebuilt with Race Tech emulators, heavier springs and new bushes and seals.

Then engine was tired and needed a full rebuild. Every single bearing and seal was replaced. In fact, the cases were replaced as well as getting Eric Gorr to resleave the cylinder back to standard, fit a Wossner piston, machine the head, match the power valve and do a port job. The OW had a rotary valve engine so I was never going to replicate it, but I could make screamer by following the Yamaha Race Report.

8/3/2015 3:05am
To go with the engine mods, a 36mm oversize carb was fitted as per the Race Report, and Jon Easton at Jemco made me custom cone pipe. The bike also runs a DG muffler. The electrics were getting old, so I replaced everything with a digital PVL setup that was supplied by Newman.

The rads were bent, so I sent them together with the hoses to GPI and had them reverse engineer a set for me. These came back and fitted great. The yellow silicon hoses are quite trick too.

Lechien ran a vented black number plate back in 83. There were a few variations on the “holeshot” plate, but I found a genuine Preston Petty plate which is very similar. The OW also had Takasago rims, so I had mine rebuilt with gold Takasago rims with gold nipples and Dunlop tyres. I also drilled out the rear brake arm similar to what the works bike ran.

Race Tech in OZ rebuilt the rear suspension. It took 3 shocks to get one that was suitable as the alloy bodies get scored and become unserviceable. Gold valves and a heavier spring were fitted and the initial feel is fantastic.

8/3/2015 3:09am
The bike has only been run less than 2 hours but is showing promise of being a great VMX racer. The project is complete and there are just a few minor jetting, suspension and other adjustments to make.

newmann
8/3/2015 4:35am
Turned out great! PVL install go smooth for you?

The Shop

8/3/2015 4:54am
Thanks newmann, the PVL was a direct fit with no hassles what so ever. Set the timing on the bench and rechecked later. Started first or second kick after rebuild. I am still playing with plugs, as the new Iridium NGK BR9EIX i used failed on the second test ride. I have a Denso IW27 to try which is supposed to be better than the NGK.

tomm55x
8/3/2015 5:12am
That bike is awesome looking, very very nice job sir!
sandman768
8/3/2015 5:34am
first class build! great attention to detail..Lechien was at Unadilla rewind this year, seemed like a regular guy, just really gifted on an mx bike! nice work Dick Trick
mb60
8/3/2015 1:17pm
I believe that pro form makes a oval style silencer that is close to the Lechien picture.
MXM
8/3/2015 2:53pm
That bike turned out great! Very nice job, I always liked the look of these YZ's even when I was on Kawasaki in 1983 I always thought the Yamaha looked so cool. I am also glad you liked the jersey, it looks great next to the bike!
8/3/2015 3:54pm
Thanks for the positve feedback Vitards. MB, the closest i could find was a 1980 setup.. http://amsracing.com/product/1980-0-yamaha-yz-125-pro-form-racing-pipes…. I actually have another YZ125K and it came with a L and J pipes and silencers. The J pipe gave them more top end. The L silencer is repackable and if painted an alloy color, would look the same as the OW.
MXM, yes the jersey looks great. I was hoping the Dogger was coming to Connodale in OZ this year so i could get it signed.... perhaps next year.
The Lechien tribute bike has a twin. I am doing it up as my Euro version practice bike. Only have the engine and a few bits to go. Originally, the Euro version had gold rims. I rebuilt the wheels using new OEM spokes, but had the hubs and original rims powder coated black.

8/3/2015 3:57pm
Best '83 YZ125 restore I have ever seen! Very well done Mr. Trickle!

It is interesting how the rear wheel/suspension set up (chain/sprocket moved to the LH side, brake by itself on the RH side, suspension linkage under the swing arm) of Lechien's '83 works bike did not show up in production until the '86 models. Just proves again how far in advance the works machines were over production. Oh how I miss those days....
DrGreg
8/3/2015 5:52pm
Superb build D.T.
8/3/2015 7:39pm
Yes, an awesome build. I PM'd your account with my email info. I just recently purchased an 83YZ125 and need a few resources for questions and advice.

--albert n.
8/3/2015 8:34pm
Hi Lonestar, i have emailed you back. Hope i can help you out with your bike...glad you joined the club. Just for your information, or any one else out there interested in this particular model, i have created a website packed full of useful and interesting stuff. You will find the full workshop manual, Yamaha Race Report, parts manual, magazine articles and shootouts, photo's, tutorials etc... Look here.. http://yz125k.weebly.com/
Cheers,

EastFlorida
8/4/2015 3:28am
That was my favorite bike and I won a lot of races on it back in the day. I've been searching for one the past few years with no luck thus far. Excellent build! I painted my radiator shrouds white back then to be like Lechien! LOL...
8/6/2015 12:08am
That was my favorite bike and I won a lot of races on it back in the day. I've been searching for one the past few...
That was my favorite bike and I won a lot of races on it back in the day. I've been searching for one the past few years with no luck thus far. Excellent build! I painted my radiator shrouds white back then to be like Lechien! LOL...
Most people that actually raced the 83 model put it down as one of their favorites... as mx bikes were progressing at a fast rate during this period, there were a lot of hit and miss models. Not sure if you could even buy white shrouds back then, but i asked DC plastics if they could make me up some white ones, and they said no problem, and it only took them 3 days.
8/6/2015 12:10am
mxracer106 wrote:
Best '83 YZ125 restore I have ever seen! Very well done Mr. Trickle! It is interesting how the rear wheel/suspension set up (chain/sprocket moved to the...
Best '83 YZ125 restore I have ever seen! Very well done Mr. Trickle!

It is interesting how the rear wheel/suspension set up (chain/sprocket moved to the LH side, brake by itself on the RH side, suspension linkage under the swing arm) of Lechien's '83 works bike did not show up in production until the '86 models. Just proves again how far in advance the works machines were over production. Oh how I miss those days....
"1986: An all-new motor came. The countershaft sprocket was moved back to the left side, which made more room for the shifter and less complication for the kickstarter. The bad news was that the motor wasn’t very fast. The shock location was also changed to a more conventional vertical orientation with Honda-like linkage" http://dirtbikemagazine.com/home-features/yz125-the-bike-they-cant-kill ..... i never had a problem with the kickstart and rebuilding it recently, i never noticed any over complication. I have heard though, that later model bikes were noticeably slower. The linkage thing was just progress, as the J model preceding it was woeful.
Honda88L
8/6/2015 5:10am
Lechien was sponsored by Wrangler, Maxima, and Scott etc…, so I trolled the internet looking for pics and then replicated the decals and jersey he ran back in the day. MXM on here made a great replica jersey that I hope to get signed one day.

If you can confirm the Ron will be at Unadilla MX rewind in 16 just have someone going bring it. I had him sign a buddies helmet two years ago. It was a remake of the dog bone theme and he was stoked. Not sure I am going yet as that is right around my youngest graduating HS but I would be happy to do it if I go.

Nice job on that bike for sure.
8/6/2015 6:29am
Thanks for the offer Honda88L, i am in Oz and the Dogger is supposed to be coming to the the East Coast(of Oz) at some stage for Conondale, which is a huge VMX meet. I am on the West Coast but have a few offers from people to help me get it signed. MXM did a great job on the jersey... heres the other side...

If anyone else has any old pics of Lechien on the OW125, it would be great if you could post them up.
Cheers,

MXM
8/6/2015 8:55am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2015 8:58am
That Yamaha ad rocks! The track site they are talking about is right down the street from were I live in Colorado, to bad they don't race there anymore. Our current National track Lakewood is located a little farther down the road.
MaxPower
8/6/2015 1:34pm
I think Ron works at Maxima. You should email or call him yourself Dick to ask him if he had any pictures. He is not removed from his past moto history. Every year he rides multiple classes at the Unadilla Rewind and seems to be very approachable
EatMyDust
8/6/2015 9:49pm
Badass !! Send pics to Ronnie on facebook see what he says about it!!

Post a reply to: Lechien Tribute YZ125

The Latest