Kid at heart 1990’s KX60

Related:
Create New Tag

6/11/2018 6:03 AM

I have a chance to buy a 1990 kx60. I know I’m 45 years old but as a kid in the 80’s when they came out one was just out of reach. Am I crazy to want one or are there others like me out there.

|

6/11/2018 6:22 AM

Not at all! My KX 60 project is an 83, first year of production. This one is special, as it is one from the set Team Green gave me when I was 9. As most ex race bikes, it was sold at the end of the season, but to my surprise, never left my local area. Unaware, I was offered it back all these years later for next to nothing, however it needs a full restoration. Gonna put it back together as it looked in 83 to keep in the office. You’re not crazy, just have a youthful spirit! God bless ya for it!
Btw, anyone have any spare Pripps Plus stickers they’d part with?

|

6/11/2018 6:55 AM

Thanks for confirmation that I’m not worse than a child like my wife says. I’m going to pick it up tonight. Guy wants $600. Not sure if that is to much. Bike is totally complete and runs and rides like a little rocket.

|

6/11/2018 5:30 PM

Picked it up tonight. Guy was stuck on $500 but damn this little thing runs. Photo

|

6/11/2018 6:28 PM

Photo
|

6/12/2018 2:04 AM

Good base for a restore, have fun with it!

|

6/12/2018 7:35 AM

that is a 1998

|

Disregard females, acquire currency.

6/12/2018 7:38 AM

Thanks for the info. Guy wasn’t sure what year it was he only knew that he bought it in 2001. No date on the neck so I couldn’t tell.

|

6/12/2018 1:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2018 1:35 PM

dadofagun wrote:

Not at all! My KX 60 project is an 83, first year of production. This one is special, as it is one from the set Team Green gave me when I was 9. As most ex race bikes, it was sold at the end of the season, but to my surprise, never left my local area. Unaware, I was offered it back all these years later for next to nothing, however it needs a full restoration. Gonna put it back together as it looked in 83 to keep in the office. You’re not crazy, just have a youthful spirit! God bless ya for it!
Btw, anyone have any spare Pripps Plus stickers they’d part with?

That sounds very cool- were you a fast little ripper?! You sound it, saw you posted some cool stuff about Bruce Bunch and the Boys- you were Team Green around that time etc? How cool was that period and the fast riders!

Yes- totally agree- reckon us old guys who raced these minis are more and more realizing how cool it is to have them back and the memories and pleasure we had riding them all those years back.

Me for one, starting to reminisce and get more and more into minis- remember the Italjets and Aspes(my favourites) obviously and also a more obscure marques a few of the little rippers had back then- also the Technomoto. Think Paul Malin had a Technomoto/ Yamaha when he first started and he then went to Team Green. Right fast little ripper! His brother Darren was also possibly as fast but never went pro I think. Think the Malins also did grass track racing (kind of like speedway racing on grass) as well as mx. Guess you guys had flat track, where as we had grasstrack and speedway back then (we did not do flat track here).

Love the old mini riders/ stars- they maybe long gone but hard to forget those years of lining up against a bunch of fellow little rippers/ lunatics, aged 7-9!! Some of the best memories of my life- superb! So wish I could go back in time and do abit better! hahaha. Still got the memories though- golden!

Bring back the minis of this long forgotten era- or at least restore them!

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one

6/16/2018 10:27 PM

dadofagun wrote:

Not at all! My KX 60 project is an 83, first year of production. This one is special, as it is one from the set Team Green gave me when I was 9. As most ex race bikes, it was sold at the end of the season, but to my surprise, never left my local area. Unaware, I was offered it back all these years later for next to nothing, however it needs a full restoration. Gonna put it back together as it looked in 83 to keep in the office. You’re not crazy, just have a youthful spirit! God bless ya for it!
Btw, anyone have any spare Pripps Plus stickers they’d part with?

a22 wrote:

That sounds very cool- were you a fast little ripper?! You sound it, saw you posted some cool stuff about Bruce Bunch and the Boys- you were Team Green around that time etc? How cool was that period and the fast riders!

Yes- totally agree- reckon us old guys who raced these minis are more and more realizing how cool it is to have them back and the memories and pleasure we had riding them all those years back.

Me for one, starting to reminisce and get more and more into minis- remember the Italjets and Aspes(my favourites) obviously and also a more obscure marques a few of the little rippers had back then- also the Technomoto. Think Paul Malin had a Technomoto/ Yamaha when he first started and he then went to Team Green. Right fast little ripper! His brother Darren was also possibly as fast but never went pro I think. Think the Malins also did grass track racing (kind of like speedway racing on grass) as well as mx. Guess you guys had flat track, where as we had grasstrack and speedway back then (we did not do flat track here).

Love the old mini riders/ stars- they maybe long gone but hard to forget those years of lining up against a bunch of fellow little rippers/ lunatics, aged 7-9!! Some of the best memories of my life- superb! So wish I could go back in time and do abit better! hahaha. Still got the memories though- golden!

Bring back the minis of this long forgotten era- or at least restore them!

Hey bub! Yeah I had a blast as kid, and proud as I can be to have amazing parents that allowed me to do so with their all supporting it. I joined Team Green in October of 82 at the ripe age of 9, after having 2 great years on that very new pee wee at the time, called the YZinger.... Yamaha was great to us, but the KX 60 was brand new, far better than the current 60 Yamaha had, and we were offered far more support. That little bike, plus it’s big brother KX 80 , in 83 changed minicycle motocross forever..... they were that damn good. I’m certain I’m not alone in saying that, either. Excellent bikes, excellent times, I’m lucky to have enjoyed that era as a kid with my family on the national level..... We will never have times like that again. So many great memories....some of my life’s best.

|

6/18/2018 3:52 PM

dadofagun wrote:

Hey bub! Yeah I had a blast as kid, and proud as I can be to have amazing parents that allowed me to do so with their all supporting it. I joined Team Green in October of 82 at the ripe age of 9, after having 2 great years on that very new pee wee at the time, called the YZinger.... Yamaha was great to us, but the KX 60 was brand new, far better than the current 60 Yamaha had, and we were offered far more support. That little bike, plus it’s big brother KX 80 , in 83 changed minicycle motocross forever..... they were that damn good. I’m certain I’m not alone in saying that, either. Excellent bikes, excellent times, I’m lucky to have enjoyed that era as a kid with my family on the national level..... We will never have times like that again. So many great memories....some of my life’s best.

Dadofagun- how cool is that, riding for Team Green etc! You must have been a quick little rider. I justabout managed to do a few nationals here but was I not really there when it came to being proper fast and never really made the cut! Such great memories though of that time racing as a kid.

I always find it interesting to see how some of the really fast kids from way back, how they never went even pro but in their younger years they were so damn fast, almost unbeatable even- hard to believe how some of them never went further. Guess some got injured also and other stuff.
In someways I am glad I was not so fast as I maybe more pissed if I was really fast and and never took it further!cheerful

Have you got any pics of your 83 Team Green kX60 Dado? Be great to see them and remember the years and great period of racing we had back then, as we say.

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one

6/19/2018 8:35 AM

a22 wrote:

That sounds very cool- were you a fast little ripper?! You sound it, saw you posted some cool stuff about Bruce Bunch and the Boys- you were Team Green around that time etc? How cool was that period and the fast riders!

Yes- totally agree- reckon us old guys who raced these minis are more and more realizing how cool it is to have them back and the memories and pleasure we had riding them all those years back.

Me for one, starting to reminisce and get more and more into minis- remember the Italjets and Aspes(my favourites) obviously and also a more obscure marques a few of the little rippers had back then- also the Technomoto. Think Paul Malin had a Technomoto/ Yamaha when he first started and he then went to Team Green. Right fast little ripper! His brother Darren was also possibly as fast but never went pro I think. Think the Malins also did grass track racing (kind of like speedway racing on grass) as well as mx. Guess you guys had flat track, where as we had grasstrack and speedway back then (we did not do flat track here).

Love the old mini riders/ stars- they maybe long gone but hard to forget those years of lining up against a bunch of fellow little rippers/ lunatics, aged 7-9!! Some of the best memories of my life- superb! So wish I could go back in time and do abit better! hahaha. Still got the memories though- golden!

Bring back the minis of this long forgotten era- or at least restore them!

dadofagun wrote:

Hey bub! Yeah I had a blast as kid, and proud as I can be to have amazing parents that allowed me to do so with their all supporting it. I joined Team Green in October of 82 at the ripe age of 9, after having 2 great years on that very new pee wee at the time, called the YZinger.... Yamaha was great to us, but the KX 60 was brand new, far better than the current 60 Yamaha had, and we were offered far more support. That little bike, plus it’s big brother KX 80 , in 83 changed minicycle motocross forever..... they were that damn good. I’m certain I’m not alone in saying that, either. Excellent bikes, excellent times, I’m lucky to have enjoyed that era as a kid with my family on the national level..... We will never have times like that again. So many great memories....some of my life’s best.

a22 wrote:

Dadofagun- how cool is that, riding for Team Green etc! You must have been a quick little rider. I justabout managed to do a few nationals here but was I not really there when it came to being proper fast and never really made the cut! Such great memories though of that time racing as a kid.

I always find it interesting to see how some of the really fast kids from way back, how they never went even pro but in their younger years they were so damn fast, almost unbeatable even- hard to believe how some of them never went further. Guess some got injured also and other stuff.
In someways I am glad I was not so fast as I maybe more pissed if I was really fast and and never took it further!cheerful

Have you got any pics of your 83 Team Green kX60 Dado? Be great to see them and remember the years and great period of racing we had back then, as we say.

I’m heading to my folks place next week or so, I’ll grab a few pics from those years and post them up. Times were simpler then, bikes didn’t have all the glossy graphics crap plastered on them. Back then, they preferred the bikes look VERY similar to what anybody could purchase at their local dealer. OEM look was what they preferred. I remember when we got the bikes, they sent along a stack of oem tank decals, and seat covers to keep them looking fresh. Also, they preferred you run NMA numbers on the bikes. Anybody remember those??? Very simple and clean

|