Kawasaki KX250 1989 build

BJB812
Edited Date/Time 10/18/2013 2:01am
Hi,

At first, a little introduction:

My name is Bart, 24 years old and currently living in The Netherlands. After riding on KTM bikes for a few years now i thought it was time to buy something new... started looking for a 2011/12 KTM SX 250 but couldn't find one to fit my budget. Then a friend asked me to come and visit a ''dutch twinshock'' race where they raced vintage MX bikes from 60,70 and 80's and thats where this idea came from....

I went looking on the Internet for a few weeks, but couldn't find something special... Honda's are nice, but the complete ''pre90'' class is about CR250's... untill one day this Kawasaki KX250 came along. Called the owner and before i knew there was a KX250 sitting in the garage. At first i didn't know that to think of it... friends said to me that is was on old piece of shit and even my dad didn't see any good future for it (and thats bad....). But i got the bigger picture in mind...

what i did before:

KTM SXS 250 (sold it)

and for the weekends still have this baby:

KX250 2006 (will be a project after this one is finished...or both at the same time Tongue , dont know that for sure)

so thats enough modern bike pics...lets go old school!

this is what it looked like when i bought it:

the engine was a complete mess...the previous owner didn't used any gaskets at all:

the frame was pretty crusty at the bottom...

but that wasn't such a problem:

all shiny and new power coat:

sandblasted some brackets and some other parts

and yesterday i screwed on the new alloy radiators

|
Presley155
10/10/2012 3:17pm
I love it, keep the pics of your progress coming.
Racerx930
10/10/2012 3:22pm
Crappy cell phone picture but! On the left is former Arenacross champion Dennis Hawthorne. I made his night when I showed up with my mint un-restored 89 KX250 and let him spin some laps on it.

vet323
10/10/2012 6:05pm
The forks on those '89's were awesome! If I remember correctly (no guarantee), the motors were a low-midrange deal and didn't hit nearly as hard as the CRs and YZs of the time. There were a nice bike, though.

The Shop

CamP
10/10/2012 8:45pm
I raced an '89 KX and it is one of the bikes I regret selling.
BJB812
10/11/2012 2:05am
vet323 wrote:
The forks on those '89's were awesome! If I remember correctly (no guarantee), the motors were a low-midrange deal and didn't hit nearly as hard as...
The forks on those '89's were awesome! If I remember correctly (no guarantee), the motors were a low-midrange deal and didn't hit nearly as hard as the CRs and YZs of the time. There were a nice bike, though.
Hmm well, there are 2 types of forks... the DSU forks were stock in the US but in Europe they offerd a USP fork from Kayaba to. Not sure with one is better.... but i expect that they are both pretty lame compaired to todays standards.

But i found a WP 4048 fork,clamps and matching WP shock... thinking about buying them. Some people told me that WP made the best forks at the time...
10/11/2012 2:18am
Nice going so far lad, love the old KX's and looks to be another pearler. Will you do her back to standard or a few hot bits here and there? 89 KX was my first 125 that i raced... awsome scooter.

I must get around to doing a better forum/blog on my build it in here but not like yours,its great...

Keep the updates comin .........
CamP
10/11/2012 9:07am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2012 9:08am
vet323 wrote:
The forks on those '89's were awesome! If I remember correctly (no guarantee), the motors were a low-midrange deal and didn't hit nearly as hard as...
BJB812 wrote:
Hmm well, there are 2 types of forks... the DSU forks were stock in the US but in Europe they offerd a USP fork from Kayaba...
Hmm well, there are 2 types of forks... the DSU forks were stock in the US but in Europe they offerd a USP fork from Kayaba to. Not sure with one is better.... but i expect that they are both pretty lame compaired to todays standards.

But i found a WP 4048 fork,clamps and matching WP shock... thinking about buying them. Some people told me that WP made the best forks at the time...
The conventional forks on the '89 KX's were far superior to any USD forks, including the WP 4048, for at least 10 years after their production.
mosslander
10/13/2012 9:36am
Is the forks on the 89 125 RM the same as Kawazaki used on the US bikes 46mm legs.
Erick
10/15/2012 6:16am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2012 6:17am
Bart, are you from Doetinchem? I am from Lichtenvoorde Wink

I have a suggestion for you: Galvoned in Ulft can rezinc (and regolden) all your nuts, bolts, axles and spokes for only 30 euros. I have done the same twice before. I really recommend it because the finish on the bolt is way better than the original. It also works perfectly for stainless steel.

If you want I can send you some pictures of my old bike. I have rezinced all of the nuts, bolts, spokes and axles of the bike. They came out perfect. This way you can keep the look of the bike original.

Nobody wants to see allen (imbus Wink ) bolts on a motocross bike.
pete24
10/15/2012 6:24am
absolutly replate all the bolts those guys that use allen bolts on their restos just dont get it, looks awesome with original hardware!
notme
10/15/2012 11:12am
FWIW,I have a few bits left of an 89 kx250 I parted out.
BJB812
10/15/2012 12:23pm
pete24 wrote:
absolutly replate all the bolts those guys that use allen bolts on their restos just dont get it, looks awesome with original hardware!
Hmm i agree, might look period but those Kawi bolts suck bigtime. And besides that... i am missing alot original bolts. Replating the old bolts might look cool but i prefer Allen bolts.
BJB812
10/15/2012 12:24pm
Erick wrote:
Bart, are you from Doetinchem? I am from Lichtenvoorde ;) I have a suggestion for you: Galvoned in Ulft can rezinc (and regolden) all your nuts...
Bart, are you from Doetinchem? I am from Lichtenvoorde Wink

I have a suggestion for you: Galvoned in Ulft can rezinc (and regolden) all your nuts, bolts, axles and spokes for only 30 euros. I have done the same twice before. I really recommend it because the finish on the bolt is way better than the original. It also works perfectly for stainless steel.

If you want I can send you some pictures of my old bike. I have rezinced all of the nuts, bolts, spokes and axles of the bike. They came out perfect. This way you can keep the look of the bike original.

Nobody wants to see allen (imbus Wink ) bolts on a motocross bike.
Ja uit omgeving Doetinchem inderdaad, ik rij heel af en toe wel eens op Lichtenvoorde...
dr516
10/16/2012 12:54pm
Man I just loved mine one of the best bikes I ever owned.
BJB812
10/16/2012 1:02pm
Hmm it will be interesting... last Saturday i took me newer KX250 for a little ride and it turned out to be the worst bike ive ever ridden. The whole bike is leaning to much to the front... and at the moment i have no idea how to solve that....

So lets hope that this 89 baby doesn't suffer the same problems...

nine1seven
10/17/2012 10:28pm
vet323 wrote:
BJB812 wrote:
Hmm well, there are 2 types of forks... the DSU forks were stock in the US but in Europe they offerd a USP fork from Kayaba...

CamP wrote:
The conventional forks on the '89 KX's were far superior to any USD forks, including the WP 4048, for at least 10 years after their production.
I have a set of perfect 89 KX250 forks I'll sell if anyone needs them. Email me at: flesche917@gmail.com
maicocd
10/18/2012 5:40am
Your restoration is coming along nicely! I look forward to seeing how it turns out, so please show us pictures of your progress on it...

I owned and raced 1989 KX250. It was at the height of my racing days where I raced every single weekend and practiced almost daily.
It held up extremely well, and that bike was one of my favorites that I've ever owned. Of course I was on the bandwagon to get the radical new perimeter frame 1990 KX250 when it came out, and the 1989 was quickly tossed aside.
But with the advantage of being able to look back, I'd say that the 1989 was probably better in my opinion.

I remember it was mellow and more tractor-like compared to the other offerings at the time. And I agree that the forks were awesome on that thing despite everyone else running USD forks.

Have fun and enjoy it!

PS- my avatar is actually me roosting it on my 1989 KX250
Ienglish
10/25/2012 10:47am
Hey BJB812, I'm down in Germany doing a '87 kx 250 rebuild. I got a nice black seat off a 93 kx 500 that might fit yours that I will let go cheap...maybe a pack of beer and some suggestions on my build ;-).
BJB812
10/27/2012 2:46pm
Hmm its been a while since my last update. Bought a ''new'' cylinder from Pete24 here at this forum. Its a stock cylinder but as Pete told me... Eric Gorr did some magic and it seems that the bore is just a little bit larger then stock. And it arrived here 2 days ago. But the Dutch Customs office decided that they would charge me a tax bill that was waaay! to much. So the cylinder is still laying at the post office, will get it here ASAP.... pay my tax and take my loss i guess. It seems that despite the excellent backup from Pete...(thanks mate!) there is no other option then to just pay what they charged me and file in a report afterwards and maybe get a few euro's back.

The funny thing after all is, that i bought this cylinder in the US because it was cheaper to buy a ''as good as new one'' then to just replate my old cylinder. But with the extra tax and shippings costs i was probably better off by replating the old damn thing :p

on the upside, i now got a Eric Gorr ''big bore'' cylinder with a Wiseco piston... probably no one else has such a thing.

Not that i have any idea who exactly Eric Gorr is... i did some digging on Google and that name popped up a few times. But not all the things i read where that good...? Seems like he is some sort of 2 stroke guru or something?

anyway, this is the actual new cylinder...

Other then that not much happened. Decided to rebuild me other KX250... made it my priority project so this one will remain untouched till next year i guess. Might buy some small parts in the meantime but its not going to be ready to race within a few weeks. Finding the right parts turned out quite difficult
pete24
10/27/2012 4:32pm
BJB812 wrote:
Hmm its been a while since my last update. Bought a ''new'' cylinder from Pete24 here at this forum. Its a stock cylinder but as Pete...
Hmm its been a while since my last update. Bought a ''new'' cylinder from Pete24 here at this forum. Its a stock cylinder but as Pete told me... Eric Gorr did some magic and it seems that the bore is just a little bit larger then stock. And it arrived here 2 days ago. But the Dutch Customs office decided that they would charge me a tax bill that was waaay! to much. So the cylinder is still laying at the post office, will get it here ASAP.... pay my tax and take my loss i guess. It seems that despite the excellent backup from Pete...(thanks mate!) there is no other option then to just pay what they charged me and file in a report afterwards and maybe get a few euro's back.

The funny thing after all is, that i bought this cylinder in the US because it was cheaper to buy a ''as good as new one'' then to just replate my old cylinder. But with the extra tax and shippings costs i was probably better off by replating the old damn thing :p

on the upside, i now got a Eric Gorr ''big bore'' cylinder with a Wiseco piston... probably no one else has such a thing.

Not that i have any idea who exactly Eric Gorr is... i did some digging on Google and that name popped up a few times. But not all the things i read where that good...? Seems like he is some sort of 2 stroke guru or something?

anyway, this is the actual new cylinder...

Other then that not much happened. Decided to rebuild me other KX250... made it my priority project so this one will remain untouched till next year i guess. Might buy some small parts in the meantime but its not going to be ready to race within a few weeks. Finding the right parts turned out quite difficult
well that kinda suks that all that nonsense happened, and i dont know if it would be worth it but i had a few people that wanted that cylinder when i sold it to you, Eric Gorr has a very good name in two strokes in the states, and bad press you heard about him would most likely be user error, or not following up with him when they had a problem the guy has the best warentee policy going, go on thumper talk and try the YZ two srtoke forum and punch his name
BJB812
10/30/2012 11:35am
Well, little update:

Got my cylinder today... looks mint!

pete24
10/30/2012 11:52am
you should run the one i sold u
BJB812
12/2/2012 4:02am
So..few weeks later and i have some updates:

new UFO plastics:

new stem bearings:

chassis still looking a bit poor for now...

and some custom made decals... think they will look nice!

oh en btw, just to look good on the bike... a 2012 JT Racing gear combo:

BJB812
12/2/2012 4:04am
oh and some tricky bits...but they are also for my other KX...

Ienglish
12/4/2012 7:12am
Those graphics look great, I got UFO plastic for my 87 KX also.
12/4/2012 3:09pm
Ienglish wrote:
Those graphics look great, I got UFO plastic for my 87 KX also.
Look like DareDecals graphics from England.
ga_pike
12/5/2012 6:56am
Very nice so far. My only suggestion would have been not to put all those decals on the front fender. The US factory guys only ran a Bel-Ray sticker. I guess you've got more of the Euro factory look though. The rad shrouds are super sweet though! Nice work all the way around. I think you'll like the Eric Gore cylinder. He built my 1991 RM 80 motor for Loretta Lynn's and it was by far the fastest 80 I had ever ridden!

Post a reply to: Kawasaki KX250 1989 build

The Latest