KX500 Pipe Options?

Zeke27G
Edited Date/Time 12/1/2018 9:34am

My K5 came with an FMF Gnarly pipe and other than not being a fan of the nickel plated look, I was fine with the fit and performance.

Decided to try a PC pipe as it came in an unplated, "works" finish. The fit of the PC pipe is absolutely horrendous, I break pipe hangers every few rides. The PC pipe also seemed to mellow out the hit substantially.

I definitely like the look of Scalvani's cone pipe offering, but their carbon fiber 4 stroke looking silencer doesn't exactly do it for me. I'm wondering if anyone has ever ran a Scalvani pipe with another brand of silencer, possibly DEP? And I'm hoping for some insight on the fit and performance of a Scalvani pipe?

Lastly, are their any other offerings for K5 pipes? I tried contacting Bill's Pipes awhile back, but they aren't interested in making a K5 pipe, and I've seen a few other random set up's over seas, like DPR I believe? Or how about DMC in Anaheim?

Any input that you K5'ers can share is much appreciated!

And who doesn't love this ad?

|
barnett468
11/26/2018 7:45am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2018 8:12am
Just how much more do you want to beat everybody by? If I were you I would be more worried about keeping the pats from falling off my bike during the race, lol.

Did Dave Miller say he would make one and that he had made them before?

The only other person I know of that builds pipes that look like Scalvini's is Kenny Roberts.

You could also email harry klemm and ask who he refers people to now. He told me a while back but I forgot. I think they are around orange county or riverside.

Tom Morgan may also know someone. He worked at Kawasaki the same time worked there.

Arlen at LED is another but he is in Oregon.

Harry Klemm

(928) 763-5430

Groupklemm@aol.com

https://ledperformanceengines.com/

Wandell
11/26/2018 10:05am
Have you considered just sandblasting/stripping the nickel plating off your FMF pipe? Especially if you like it's performance.
Moto Mofo
11/26/2018 11:58am
I’ve been meaning to call FMF and ask if there’s any way possible to get an unplated pipe for a KX500, like on Destry Abbott’s and Sean Hamblin’s 500s. I’d be in to buy one.

Didn’t Bill’s build a 500 pipe for Hamblin not too long ago, also? Wonder why they won’t sell them?

Stripping a plated pipe seems to be a royal pain in the ass, unfortunately.

The Shop

barnett468
11/26/2018 12:31pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
I’ve been meaning to call FMF and ask if there’s any way possible to get an unplated pipe for a KX500, like on Destry Abbott’s and...
I’ve been meaning to call FMF and ask if there’s any way possible to get an unplated pipe for a KX500, like on Destry Abbott’s and Sean Hamblin’s 500s. I’d be in to buy one.

Didn’t Bill’s build a 500 pipe for Hamblin not too long ago, also? Wonder why they won’t sell them?

Stripping a plated pipe seems to be a royal pain in the ass, unfortunately.
Its simple, you just take it to a plater and they will chemically remove the plating although they may want you to have the inside cleaned our first. You can have it ceramic coated after that if you want.
Sidecar
11/26/2018 1:24pm
My PC pipe is fine, nothing breaks etc and it hits HARD... the only problem I have is mine is a plated PC pipe... I would like a raw/works pipe but they carry a heafty price tag in the UK...

Kidkawie
11/27/2018 8:26pm
I thought I read some guys running CR500 pipes?
Zeke27G
11/28/2018 1:21pm

Check out this rare species of rattlesnake I found in the wild! In all reality it was quite the journey to obtain it and wasn't at all in the shape I had hoped. Gotta love it when a seller only posts photos of the good side! Since picking it up I've talked with Pacific Crest Pipe Repair about the possibilities of salvaging it, or even just cutting the old logo section out and welding it into a new FMF pipe? Or it might just collect dust in the garage? We'll see...

Evoracer
11/28/2018 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 1:59pm
Smile
barnett468
11/28/2018 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 2:10pm
Zeke27G wrote:
Check out this rare species of rattlesnake I found in the wild! In all reality it was quite the journey to obtain it and wasn't at...

Check out this rare species of rattlesnake I found in the wild! In all reality it was quite the journey to obtain it and wasn't at all in the shape I had hoped. Gotta love it when a seller only posts photos of the good side! Since picking it up I've talked with Pacific Crest Pipe Repair about the possibilities of salvaging it, or even just cutting the old logo section out and welding it into a new FMF pipe? Or it might just collect dust in the garage? We'll see...

What exactly do you mean by salvaging it. Are there other dents besides the 2 small ones in the photo?

There is a guy in lake elsinore that can got most dents out around 90% but it won't be 100% perfect. My pipe had around 6 dents maybe 1 1/2" by 3/8" deep and he charged me $60.00 and had it done in 2 days. You can also buy the air kit or water pressure kit to remove dents yourself if you wanted to give that a try.

Zeke27G
11/29/2018 12:08pm
Zeke27G wrote:
Check out this rare species of rattlesnake I found in the wild! In all reality it was quite the journey to obtain it and wasn't at...

barnett468 wrote:
What exactly do you mean by salvaging it. Are there other dents besides the 2 small ones in the photo? There is a guy in lake...
What exactly do you mean by salvaging it. Are there other dents besides the 2 small ones in the photo?

There is a guy in lake elsinore that can got most dents out around 90% but it won't be 100% perfect. My pipe had around 6 dents maybe 1 1/2" by 3/8" deep and he charged me $60.00 and had it done in 2 days. You can also buy the air kit or water pressure kit to remove dents yourself if you wanted to give that a try.

I would show you the other side, but you might get sick to your stomach! It's pretty rough and has some botched repairs.

If anything I'll buy a new FMF Gnarly pipe, and have the section of this old pipe with the early FMF logo welded into it for fun. Something that maybe 1 in 25 people might actually notice. Ha!
a22
12/1/2018 8:35am
Maybe worth saving rather than cutting? Couldn't it be repaired even if the otherside is a mess, given the skill of some people? Must be quite rare and the rest of it doesn't look that bad really.
barnett468
12/1/2018 8:53am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2018 8:54am
Zeke27G wrote:
I would show you the other side, but you might get sick to your stomach! It's pretty rough and has some botched repairs. If anything I'll...

I would show you the other side, but you might get sick to your stomach! It's pretty rough and has some botched repairs.

If anything I'll buy a new FMF Gnarly pipe, and have the section of this old pipe with the early FMF logo welded into it for fun. Something that maybe 1 in 25 people might actually notice. Ha!

Is this the pipe you want to weld the logo to?

Zeke27G
12/1/2018 9:16am
a22 wrote:
Maybe worth saving rather than cutting? Couldn't it be repaired even if the otherside is a mess, given the skill of some people? Must be quite...
Maybe worth saving rather than cutting? Couldn't it be repaired even if the otherside is a mess, given the skill of some people? Must be quite rare and the rest of it doesn't look that bad really.
The other side is a real mess!! If anything, I might use the good half of a new Gnarly pipe to make one clean pipe. Something I’ll probably have Pacific Crest pipe repair help with.
Zeke27G
12/1/2018 9:17am
Zeke27G wrote:
I would show you the other side, but you might get sick to your stomach! It's pretty rough and has some botched repairs. If anything I'll...

barnett468 wrote:
Is this the pipe you want to weld the logo to? [img]https://www.todayscyclecoverage.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-1118-CA-CALVMX-Rd10-PHOTO-B-waiting.jpg[/img]

Negatory, that is a PC pipe and specifically the one I’m having fit and performance issues with.
barnett468
12/1/2018 9:28am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2018 9:34am
Zeke27G wrote:

barnett468 wrote:
Is this the pipe you want to weld the logo to? [img]https://www.todayscyclecoverage.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-1118-CA-CALVMX-Rd10-PHOTO-B-waiting.jpg[/img]

Zeke27G wrote:
Negatory, that is a PC pipe and specifically the one I’m having fit and performance issues with.
"Negatory, that is a PC pipe and specifically the one I’m having fit and performance issues with."

ummm...but you won that race by a mile, so just how much do you want to beat everybody by, lol.

I was the person that handed you your number plate when you finished one race and you passed me on the inside in the last turn before the checkered flag in another race that day. I was on a 1980 YZ250 that said GERITOL on the tank in big letters instead of YAMAHA.

Probably going to ride it with the OTHG club at Perris tomorrow and hope some of them laugh so hard when they see it that they won't be able to pass me, lol. I had a couple guys at Milestone ask me if GERITOL was my sponsor which they aren't, but it made me think that maybe I should ask them if they want to be, lol.

Post a reply to: KX500 Pipe Options?

The Latest