Just bought a 1987 CR125 need some help and advice

Jamin
Edited Date/Time 8/26/2022 3:55am
So I found the bike of my teenage dreams...... BUT,

Its a basket case, and when I got it home and cleaned it up, I found out that there is not a single part on the bike that doesnt need to be replaced or rebuilt. Totally worn out. (amazing how pictures can make things look a LOT better than they really are) Nothing is good, most things not even useable, even the seat base is bent. Subframe doesnt have the tabs to hold it down anyway. Every piece of plastic is broken. Wrong bolts forced in all over, and it was run so long the silencer is almost clogged. Crank and seals look bad, clutch and tranny probably are too.

So it will never be a beauty queen, or prime example of one, but if I spend a fortune, I may be able to ride the bike I most wanted in the 80's.

Three questions:

It is missing all of the Power Valve linkage. I cant find any listings for those parts, does anyone have that linkage available?

Does anyone have some parts they would like to sell?

Front brake cables, are they available anywhere? Any others that would substitute?

Any help is appreciated.

|
Django
6/8/2022 9:24am
Facebook has a good 1987 CR127 page
Jamin
6/8/2022 10:15am
I will see if I can have someone take a look at that, I haven't done much social media. I will try to put up a couple of pictures, I have a lot of nice old bikes, and again, its amazing how good this looks and how bad it is, lol.

Thanks for getting back to me, I was going to just resell it but I really do want to make run again.
bad juju
6/8/2022 6:56pm
how much did you pay for it? looks like most of it is there. linkage go to Ebay for it. you will find that Ebay will be your go to for a vintage restoration. I wouldn't be to down on your 87, you can bring it back. now get to work and pics of your build!! Braaap!

The Shop

Jamin
6/9/2022 7:35pm
I really appreciate your encouragement. When I look at the pictures I posted, it really doesn't look all that bad !!! (But it is).

Its probably the roughest one I have ever bought. I have a several really nice old bikes, unrestored, just cleaned up. Some even with the original tires front and back. This is the only one of these 87's I have found, they must have all been raced into the ground.

I have never put aftermarket parts on a bike before, just NOS, but this one I don't see a choice. The discouraging thing is that every component I have pulled and looked at needs to be replaced.

I would really like to find someone who has some decent used parts. I am scouring eBay by I would welcome some advise on what to look out for on this one.

You really have been encouraging, I was thinking about just reselling it, Braap! back at ya.

6/11/2022 11:09am
Yes 87,s where raced into the ground even my frame was stretched out if there’s a gap between the seat and tank the frame is a bit wore out. 87 was my 1st Mx bike it had a NSR port job for hill climbing I stacked 3 base gaskets to move the power to the top. I broke the stock shock in 4 ft whoops, WP shock was great. The wrist pin bearing had a failure problem. I did a top end every 8-10 hrs it ndver failed. I beat all but 1 500,s on a deep hilly sand track. DG pipe 99 bucks. I always look for a 87 but never see them on fb. You see 86,s tho. 87 1st yr of the rear disk. My next bike was 92 rm125 pc pipe nowhere near as fast. 1pic is

5th wo up a ski flying ramp. Garage pic has a red white tiger stripe seat cover I sold it like that.
Jamin
6/12/2022 6:28pm
Nice, the third pic is what I think of as the peak look of the 80's iconic Hondas. Thats the bike. I had an 83 that I loved, (and wish I still had) and at the time it felt ground breaking in its looks, feel and power seemed perfect. Over the next several years I thought all the Hondas just got better looking every year and 87 had the looks, the technology, and the performance. I still look at this Pic and think its one if the best ever. Just beautiful.

Hey, you had an El Camino AND that bike, you pretty much had it made in my book !!!

I am looking all over and trying to figure out if I can justify to myself all the money it will take just to make it run again. I have no idea what I will be told when the cases come apart. (I need to find someone I can trust to crack it open). The cylinder has a really bad sleeve in it, the ports do not even line up exactly.

I need to find a bunch of used but still usable parts.

RyanLester761
6/14/2022 2:13pm
I have some parts here in California. Feel free to text me if you want. I can send some pics of what I have. (916) 337-5862

-Ryan
CR-Dude4
8/24/2022 6:14pm
Bruh, ya messed up. You should have looked elsewhere for your dream bike. Contact Batecycle.com for parts they might have a frame and other parts. Good luck!
Bezerk'n
8/25/2022 1:58pm
I don't think you did too bad, at least you found someone that even returned your call. I'm trying to find a 87 in my area I've seen bikes a lot worse than your's and their asking $2800. My biggest problem is I can't get anyone to reply to their ads. especially on Facebook .I keep trying to contact them, only to get a sold notice weeks or months later, smh.
CR-Dude4
8/26/2022 3:55am
Bezerk'n wrote:
I don't think you did too bad, at least you found someone that even returned your call. I'm trying to find a 87 in my area...
I don't think you did too bad, at least you found someone that even returned your call. I'm trying to find a 87 in my area I've seen bikes a lot worse than your's and their asking $2800. My biggest problem is I can't get anyone to reply to their ads. especially on Facebook .I keep trying to contact them, only to get a sold notice weeks or months later, smh.
Facebook is a joke. Ebay will have your parts....craigs list is sketchy but you can find stuff. If its yer dream bike, then be prepaired to shell out some cash. Try CMSL in Holland for your parts. Had a buddy use them for 2 PE-250 from the 70s! you have a long road ahead. My 89 was junk but I got it good looking and ridable, and not a trailer queen. LOL! I think there is a junkyard up in Hollister Mass? Dont know, but I got a seat pan for my 89. Good luck bubba!
Jamin
8/29/2022 10:32am
Bezerk'n wrote:
I don't think you did too bad, at least you found someone that even returned your call. I'm trying to find a 87 in my area...
CR-Dude4 wrote:
Facebook is a joke. Ebay will have your parts....craigs list is sketchy but you can find stuff. If its yer dream bike, then be prepaired to...
Facebook is a joke. Ebay will have your parts....craigs list is sketchy but you can find stuff. If its yer dream bike, then be prepaired to shell out some cash. Try CMSL in Holland for your parts. Had a buddy use them for 2 PE-250 from the 70s! you have a long road ahead. My 89 was junk but I got it good looking and ridable, and not a trailer queen. LOL! I think there is a junkyard up in Hollister Mass? Dont know, but I got a seat pan for my 89. Good luck bubba!
Hey everyone, just got back from Crawfordsville....... Epic racing this weekend !!!

I bet I saw some people from this forum while I was there and didnt even know it.

I wrote a long reply while I was there and I thought I posted it, but when I looked this morning I see that it didnt get on here? Not sure why, I am not going to do all of that from my phone anymore.

I have been having some success with parts but I am still missing a lot. I bet there are people on here that have everything I need, in a box on a shelf somewhere, and one day they will be cleaning out old junk and it will hit the dump......

The motor is in such bad shape, I have not even started to get parts for it because I have not taken it apart yet.

I was really dissapointed that it has the factory heavy fork and shock springs. (I know most people would want those but they are too still for me.

I need to post an update with some pics and I will when I get a chance, thanks everyone.

Post a reply to: Just bought a 1987 CR125 need some help and advice

The Latest